Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Ending support for older simulator versions?

26 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Just checking, is anyone still flying FS5?

Vic

I am flying FS5 with excellent performance and no OOM's on my Pentium 233MHz machine and a Hercules GeForce GTS 2 DDR 64MB video card and 128MB RAM. It looks and behaves just like P3D v4 and the only thing missing is cloud shadows. Everything else is the same. I see no possible reason to upgrade, plus its illegal. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

I am flying FS5 with excellent performance and no OOM's on my Pentium 233MHz machine and a Hercules GeForce GTS 2 DDR 64MB video card and 128MB RAM. It looks and behaves just like P3D v4 and the only thing missing is cloud shadows. Everything else is the same. I see no possible reason to upgrade, plus its illegal. 

Upgrading from FS5 is illegal? If its LM EULA issues you're worried about, I am pretty sure that no one has yet been jailed for the use of FS9, so you could consider that.

:happy:

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

IMO, the sooner developers start working together and move forward to 64bit, the sooner the community will follow.

It's time to make that important decision!

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

While there are those who still use FS9, there are no developers that make anything new for FS9 (that I'm aware of).

Gary Summons at UK2000 still creates FS9 versions of new airports in the Xtreme range, but I have no idea how long that will last.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

From the few videos I have seen of FSC 2017, I got a sense of revitalization and enthusiasm in the air. I think that many developers and many end users look forward to the path forward with 64-bit as the platform of choice.

While I did see a very early version of Flight Simulator on I think an old apple PC, I did not see FS9 or FSX. I was told by some person who visited FSC this year, that 95% of the sims demos on display were P3D and the rest were X-Plane 11. http://steamcommunity.com/app/389280/discussions/0/1354868867726924475/#c1354868867728725889 

By no means do I think or say that any previous flight sim is bad, not at all. They all have their place in history and each gave a new level of excitement when they came out. I remember when FS2002 came out with that new ATC system; I was so grateful. And the quite complex Concorde in FS2000 was very impressive for its time. I could say so many wonderful things about every version in light of the time it was released. And yes XP and other sims have their great traits as well.

Today we have a new wondrous achievement in P3Dv4, there is no need to resist this achievement. And at the same time, for some, there is no need to rush to 64-bit. All n all we should be glad that new features and new technologies are at the forefront of flight simming. We were somewhat stagnant for a time, but home based flight simming has been jolted not only to life, but to super-hero status, and gaining strength.

Bashing older sims is unwise because we did not get here without them. Bashing new sims is unwise because we all are flying in something that is newer than something else.   

• Upvote 3

I don't think that anyone's bashing the new sims, just the premise of this thread that their arrival somehow automatically signals the end for everything that came before.

There will always be those people who want the latest version of everything, even if there's nothing wrong with what they already have (mobile phones spring to mind here). Casting those of us who are happy with what we have as Luddites who are somehow trying to prevent progress is unfair. Setting aside the freeware producers, the commercial flight sim developers will go where they think the profit is. If that ends up being exclusively 64 bit, then good luck to them. I'll just opt for what works best for me (which might eventually be P3D - but not yet).

• Upvote 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

A 64bit version of P3D is a huge step up from the older versions of P3D & FSX. To be able to raise the LOD & fly complex airliners to complex airports without an OOM CTD, is something that most simmers have been wanting to do for over a decade.

Couple this with the fact that most of our beloved sceneries & airports are being upgraded free of charge, and for me it's a "no brainer" upgrade.

I just need a system that will allow me to run all my add ons smoothly.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to test their rig for 64 bit. Digital combat world is a free sim with a free fighter. 

Just go to settings and set all sliders right. Makes my gtx 780 scream. 

ZORAN

I have to be honest here and say that I don't recall all that many wonderful things about Microsoft Flight Simulator between FS5 and FS2000. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I used Flight Unlimited 3 exclusively between 1999 and 2008.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There is no "one size fits all". Flight simming is an extremely PERSONAL experience. Other than bragging rights for FPS we each set whatever sim up the way WE want to get US the best experience. Whether it's FS9, FSX, XP or P3D is irrelevant, To say that "xyz" is better than "zyx" means nothing except to the individual that said it - and for that individual - it is truth - but only for that individual and those that agree. 

There will always be users who, for whatever reason, choose not to update - for them - they are correct and happy.

Vic

• Upvote 5

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 6/18/2017 at 8:59 AM, Holdit said:

Nor have I. I haven't heard anyone claim that P3DvX isn't as good as FSX, just that for some people there is no compelling reason to make the move yet. This has nothing to do with blindness regarding P3Dv4's features, but rather represents a cost-benefit analysis that results in a "no need to rush into it yet" verdict.

I get the impression that there's a quasi-religious fervour regarding P3Dv4 at the moment (not the first time I've noticed such a phenomenon on AVSIM), with some of the faithful wishing "punishment" (in the form of no more more add-ons) on the heretics... :biggrin:

Very well put.

Vic green

Developers are going to go where the money is.

Doesn't get any simpler than that.

• Upvote 3

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

11 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Upgrading from FS5 is illegal? If its LM EULA issues you're worried about, I am pretty sure that no one has yet been jailed for the use of FS9, so you could consider that.

:happy:

Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm. I was poking fun of people who fly in old versions of flight sim who like to say they do not get OOM's and all of their flight sim needs are met from now to eternity, yet they do not experience the wonderful environment of v4. I threw in the "illegal' comment as an extra fun dig at those who cling to that point.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations