flynman33

Nvidia Control Panel and P3D v4

Recommended Posts

Since Nvidia Inspector is basically dead with v4 what is the best config for Nvidia Control Panel for Global a Program setting.

 

I am dealing with micro and semi microstutters on takeoff and final app no matter what scenery or aircraft I use..

 

Thanks

Randy Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Following this, although I have heard of some people continuing to use NVI in conjunction with AA set in sim. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, flynman33 said:

Since Nvidia Inspector is basically dead with v4 what is the best config for Nvidia Control Panel for Global a Program setting.

 

I am dealing with micro and semi microstutters on takeoff and final app no matter what scenery or aircraft I use..

 

Thanks

Randy Smith

Hi Randy--what frequency is your monitor(s) 30hz or 60hz?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Hi Randy--what frequency is your monitor(s) 30hz or 60hz?

60hz  not adjustable.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, flynman33 said:

Since Nvidia Inspector is basically dead with v4 what is the best config for Nvidia Control Panel for Global a Program setting.

 

I am dealing with micro and semi microstutters on takeoff and final app no matter what scenery or aircraft I use..

 

Thanks

Randy Smith

I have a simular issue at KSFO (Flightbeam) with FTX NCA activated so it might not just be Nvidia´s fault. 

Maybe you could give some locations and i could test it as well ? 

I also using GTX 970 (mostly SLI 382.33 drivers)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, flynman33 said:

60hz  not adjustable.

I can set my 4k monitor at 30 HZ, but the manual says it will not be true 4k high definition, so I leave it at 60hz.  I then use the Nvidia Inspector setting that imposes a 1/2 refresh rate and leave the internal sim at unlimited frame rate.  That effectively gives 30HZ.  I believe p3d all versions run better at 30hz refresh rate.   This is what I do and it works well.  It's in Rob A's excellent P3D settings guide.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

I then use the Nvidia Inspector setting that imposes a 1/2 refresh rate and leave the internal sim at unlimited frame rate.  That effectively gives 30HZ

So are you saying you are getting a fixed frame rate of 30 in P3D with these settings?

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, gboz said:

So are you saying you are getting a fixed frame rate of 30 in P3D with these settings?

gb.

Not truly fixed.  In most cases the sim stays around 30 fps.  Sometimes it goes up or down depending on scenery, clouds etc., but 30fps is the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

Not truly fixed.  In most cases the sim stays around 30 fps.  Sometimes it goes up or down depending on scenery, clouds etc., but 30fps is the norm.

I'll have to check Rob's guide again but most people here, including me, seem to agree that 1/2 refresh rate in NI does not work with P3D. If you go to a default location with little or no autogen (like say a desert) in a default plane what frame rate do you get?

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, gboz said:

I'll have to check Rob's guide again but most people here, including me, seem to agree that 1/2 refresh rate in NI does not work with P3D. If you go to a default location with little or no autogen (like say a desert) in a default plane what frame rate do you get?

gb.

80 fps+

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

80 fps+

Well really that shows 1/2 refresh rate is not working here.
If it was you would be back at around 30 of course.

Edit: (NI 1/2 refresh rate is about limiting frame rates, nothing to do with changing the actual refresh rate of the monitor)

gb.

Share this post


Link to post

Use the nvidiaProfileInspector fps limiter in P3D:

In the sim Display Settings set fps to Unlimited VSync=Off and set sliders far enough left so that we can observe (shift-Z) the sim running easily at more than the monitor refresh frequency.

Set VSync=On and observe the fps is now running at approximately the monitor refresh frequency say 60Hz for example.

Making a profile: Right-click - NVidia Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings, Global Settings, Default, Apply - Program Settings, select Prepar3D (add and point to v4 .exe), temporarily we are going to change vertical sync to off to create a new profile for nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (basically changing anything creates the new profile), Apply, Exit.

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Start the sim and is limited to ~30, we can add some stability with VSync=On, we can also try  TP=On for more consistent fps.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Wouldn't 30.5 be a better option?

gb.

Share this post


Link to post

If the monitor is quoted as 60Hz but is actually say 63 in operation, then 31.5 may be better, who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, SteveW said:

Use the nvidiaProfileInspector fps limiter in P3D:

In the sim Display Settings set fps to Unlimited VSync=Off and set sliders far enough left so that we can observe (shift-Z) the sim running easily at more than the monitor refresh frequency.

Set VSync=On and observe the fps is now running at approximately the monitor refresh frequency say 60Hz for example.

Making a profile: Right-click - NVidia Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings, Global Settings, Default, Apply - Program Settings, select Prepar3D (add and point to v4 .exe), temporarily we are going to change vertical sync to off to create a new profile for nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (basically changing anything creates the new profile), Apply, Exit.

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Start the sim and is limited to ~30, we can add some stability with VSync=On, we can also try  TP=On for more consistent fps.

A good thing to do is try out what I have showed in the comment above. Set the sim up with low graphics so it can easily outperform the monitor refresh and try setting the P3D VSync On/Off to properly determine the behaviour of P3D rendering. Increase the graphics settings until the sim fps cannot reach this monitor refresh frequency. Introduce the NI limiter if the setup of the sim has been determined to be unable to reach the monitor refresh. Choose a sim graphics setup and a limit that the sim can maintain throughout the flight.

These Display Settings in P3D are not just for final setting up of the sim, they are also used for profiling the performance before final setting. 

VSync in P3D Display Settings is not the same as vsync in NI. NI vsync pertains to fullscreen exclusive mode apps like FSX so NI settings like half refresh don't work with P3D since P3D is a desktop window and the actual monitor vsync is fixed to the desktop setting. VSync=On in P3D Display Settings merely uses the monitor timing to determine the limit to apply.

The point I am making is that the sim will run at whatever fps it can with P3D Display Settings Unlimited on the fps slider with VSync=Off, but when VSync=On is applied the sim will limit at the monitor refresh frequency. This frequency may be too high so we can use the limiter in NI instead.

 

With unlimited and no limiter each frame is made as soon as the last is finished. That means the objects positions in each frame is determined by the average time between frames so the actual frame is computed for a time that the frame is not displayed at. The triple buffer setting merely introduces a more consistent time between frames so that the average period is more consistent, at the cost of a slight input delay. The locked setting is not a limiter and frames are built into a look-ahead buffer, the input delay is as long as the buffer, but each frame physics is determined by a deliberately consistent time period so the objects appear where they were computed to appear. This requires a powerful PC, since to maintain the buffer requires at least double the fps or more else any wobble will deplete the buffer and it takes too long to replenish. Setting locked at 30 when you can only ever see 35fps with Unlimited won't work, you need to see 60fps+ for locked 30 to be of any use.

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Randy, Hi Guys,

just to let you know that I had the exact same problem : microstutter with P3D v4 and 60 Hz only triple monitor through nVidia Surround (whereas P3D v3.4 is still running smoothly).

This was quite annoying since my rig is pretty decent (i4790k @ 4.8GHz, Win 7 64 pro, 16 Gb of RAM, GTX 1080).

I, at last, found a way to make it run VERY smoothly by adding an Affinity Mask in the config file (AM=85 in my case).

Hope it will help,

Francois

Share this post


Link to post

This is great info, Steve.

For me, I just set nvidia control panel profile up for p3dv4 with single monitor and max performance.

In nvidia inspector, I choose to limit frames to 30.5. That's it as far as nvidia settings.

In sim, with unlimited fps, v-sync and tb on, although my settings are quite high, I usually maintain above 30 fps, so the NI limiter makes thing very smooth.

The times when I do drop below 30fps, (at EGLL Uk2000 in ORBX England for example with PMDG 747) when the frames are down to 23 -25 range, it is still a decent experience. Yes there are stutters but not that terrible to be a spoiler.

The only other setting I play with is AA. I have an NEC EA234 WMi IPS monitor 1900 x 1200.

In daytime flight I run at 4xMSS, second highest setting, with dynamic lighting off.

At night I reduce aa to 4xMSAA with dynamic lighting on, this is to avoid having my frames crippled by dynamic lighting at higher aa settings.

 

Stu

Share this post


Link to post

Yes good point Stu. I should have mentioned when setting low graphics (to deduce a starting point in performance testing), not only set sliders left but also turn off AA before making initial tests, since AA can flat-line the fps and appear very much like a limiter is in action.

Share this post


Link to post

...another thing to check out if experiencing problems with fps is to see if undocked panels reduce fps...before setting out make sure to default any NVidia Control Panel profiles before investigating driver issues.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, gboz said:

Wouldn't 30.5 be a better option?

gb.

I have been thinking about that gb. I think what you are suggesting is that if the monitor is 60Hz, then set a slightly faster limit say 30.5 rather than 29.5? What happens is that with VSync=On the slightly faster fps limit costs more GPU and the frame is sent anyway to be held up often for almost the entire next period, introducing long frames, the slightly less fps limit requires less GPU and the frame is constantly queued for the remainder of the time to frame whatever happens. On a trace you can see fps attempting to stay above VSync produces a lumpy behaviour.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

...here's a trace of my 60Hz monitor (actually runs nearer 59Hz) using P3D v4 and NVidia Profile Inspector. Shows it's far better to select the slightly lower fps limit than vsync:

p3d_vsync_ni_fpslimit.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...here's a trace of my 60Hz monitor (actually runs nearer 59Hz) using P3D v4 and NVidia Profile Inspector. Shows it's far better to select the slightly lower fps limit than vsync:

Excellent Steve, I would not have suspected that.

Edit: But as you said above a true 60Hz monitor, or slightly above 60Hz, might be different?

gb.

Share this post


Link to post
On 13/07/2017 at 2:11 AM, SteveW said:

Use the nvidiaProfileInspector fps limiter in P3D:

In the sim Display Settings set fps to Unlimited VSync=Off and set sliders far enough left so that we can observe (shift-Z) the sim running easily at more than the monitor refresh frequency.

Set VSync=On and observe the fps is now running at approximately the monitor refresh frequency say 60Hz for example.

Making a profile: Right-click - NVidia Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings, Global Settings, Default, Apply - Program Settings, select Prepar3D (add and point to v4 .exe), temporarily we are going to change vertical sync to off to create a new profile for nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (basically changing anything creates the new profile), Apply, Exit.

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Start the sim and is limited to ~30, we can add some stability with VSync=On, we can also try  TP=On for more consistent fps.

Huh ?

Share this post


Link to post

First I am setting the sim to get fps to exceed the monitor refresh frequency.

Then I am setting VSync=On to show that the fps is pulled down to the monitor refresh frequency. VSync in P3D obtains the monitor timing to steer the GPU fps output to result with near monitor refresh frequency.

Then I am demonstrating to make a profile but first ensuring the profiles are set to defaults, since missing this step could mean we inherit a poor setting in the profile from changing or updating drivers or just having fiddled with them at some stage.

Then I am using NPI to set an actual frame limit on the GPU.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2017 at 5:18 AM, SteveW said:

...here's a trace of my 60Hz monitor (actually runs nearer 59Hz) using P3D v4 and NVidia Profile Inspector. Shows it's far better to select the slightly lower fps limit than vsync:

p3d_vsync_ni_fpslimit.jpg

 

Gold. Have mine at 30.5, will reset to 29.5. I have triple buffering on in P3D as well along with vsync and unlimited frames.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now