Sign in to follow this  
marcom

New addon: Remote Overhead Client

Hi fellow simmers,

some of you may know the Remote CDU I developed for PMDG aircraft.

I've been working on a new tool - a remote Overhead Client that runs on a 2nd PC and interfaces with the overhead panel of the 737 NGX.

All visible switches / annunciators are modeled and operational and fully synchronized with the in-flight overhead panel.

The idea is that you can use an old PC running Windows to run the overhead - no need to use multiple views within FSX/P3D that reduce performance.

ZvZHA.jpg

Before spending additional time to get this in releasable state, I would like to get a rough understanding how big the interest is to purchase this addon. So please go ahead and share your thoughts!

Note - it will run on a PC system running Windows (no tablet support this time).

Pricing would be similar to the Remote CDU app.

Best Regards

Mark Foti

• Upvote 3

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Great idea, Mark.  My suggestion would be to design it with touch screen controllability in mind, as this would be killer on something like an all-in-one touch screen computer mounted overhead...

I started down the road to doing something like this a while back...one big issue then was that the cabin alt/diff press and cabin rate gauges did not have their values exposed by the SDK--has that changed?

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

+1

For myself i would only make sense if it supports touchscreens.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

For me, touchscreen or nothing. 

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

Touch is an interesting point. I see the usefulness if using a full size touch screen.

I need to figure out an intuitive way of clicking left/right. Typical mouse click spots are too small and probably would lead to frustration when using touch input. Maybe some form of touch swipe gestures would do the trick.

@Bob: yes, those items were added to the SDK. As you see in my screenshot, the alt window knob is still missing, but all other needles / readouts are working. Obivously, this is still work in progress.

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Mark,

Count me as a "FOR SURE" buyer if you continue to pursue the overhead...and I would buy for all three models if you take it that far.

Curious how a touch device would work for rotating knobs? It would be great to have if there is a way to make it work, as I am already running ActiveSky AS4 on a client laptop that has a touch screen.

Just updated to latest 3.1.0.2 Simserver/Remote CDU...love it, and use it on EVERY flight with 737, 747, and 777. Thanks for great product!

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Mark,

I am a definite buyer with or without touch screen. I would also love a pedestal version.

I already run 4 screens and this is currently only possible with my ancient system, in FS2004 I recently uprgaded one GPU to a Zotac GTX 1050ti OC to run three screens (Aft and Fwd overhead/CDU/Aft electrical pedestal) on a 40 inch LED 1080p TV,  22 inch 1080p monitor and  24 inch 1080p monitor respectively. The 40 inch and the 24 inch are in portrait mode. I have also ordered a new Zotac GTX 1080ti amp extreme to run the VC cockpit and side view screens.

If your system could eventually incorporate those three instrument panels on a separate computer, I for one, would love you to death. I would also buy for all the P3D aircraft..

Does your panel also support the AFT overhead?

I am actually excited and am drooling in anticipation.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I'd also buy it...would be a decent hold over for me until I get a full home cockpit.  I'm not ready for touch screen yet, but that is a good idea. 

Eric Szczesniak

Mark,

Sorry, I just had another thought.

As I was largely unaware of your work and site, I wonder if you could possibly PM me with details of where to buy the CDU and the future Overhead, Is it possible or practical for your site to set up a subscribe system for broadcast of updates on progress, and ... Are you developing or considering, developing for the other major 64bit platform?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

11 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Mark,

Sorry, I just had another thought.

As I was largely unaware of your work and site, I wonder if you could possibly PM me with details of where to buy the CDU and the future Overhead, Is it possible or practical for your site to set up a subscribe system for broadcast of updates on progress, and ... Are you developing or considering, developing for the other major 64bit platform?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

you can read about the CDU over here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/742-remote-cdu-for-phone-tablet-official-support-forum/

This post contains the link to the latest version:

As soon as I have further news regarding the overhead panel, I will post on this topic - so you can just follow this thread.

Best Regards

Mark Foti

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Hi All,

I thought I'd take a short break from programming and give you an update.

The main overhead panel, with light test active:

ZJEEA.jpg

and - did someone mention aft overhead panel?

ZJ5Y1.jpg

All lights are tied to the respective source so if you see them come on in flightsim, you'll see them on the remote overhead client.

All knobs, switches and buttons are fully functional - so you can perform a full flight without having to 'touch' the in-flight overhead panel.

Now what's left is some cosmetics and packaging.

Version 1 will be a standard Windows application and will connect to the SimServer server app also used for the Remote CDU. Version 1 will not be touch optimized yet (so all clicks will be treated a left-mouse-button event, and all switches / knobs will move left or down.

Similar to the Remote CDU app, a free-to-view version will be available so you can test the connection and see for yourself.

Oh... and I'm looking for some beta testers... :-)

Best Regards

Mark Foti

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Hi Marcom, if you need a beta tester I would be happy to do it. Just let me know.

15 hours ago, Imhotep said:

Hi Marcom, if you need a beta tester I would be happy to do it. Just let me know.

Hi,

thanks for your offer but I'm happy to say the product has already been released.

If you are interested, you can download the latest version from here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/475478-remote-cdu-current-version/

Best Regards

Mark Foti

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

:ha: Wonderful

I will try it asap  and I let you know

Note that I use Input Director which allow me to go through all PC connected to my network. Many people said that they would prefer Touch Screen. INPUT DIRECTOR might be a good solution.

All the best