Sign in to follow this  

I need more ram for something other than FSX, and I was wondering if having the most I could use on my PC would help out? I can get 32 GB of ram, though currently I only have 16, and FSX uses about 50% of it. I'm curious as to what FSX uses all that ram for, is the graphics?

58 minutes ago, Dragonmount said:

I was wondering if having the most I could use on my PC would help out? 

As long as you've been here and been using FSX you probably understand that FSX being a 32bit program can't access more than the 4GB limit, so having more won't help. However if you ever move to either the 64bit version of X-Plane or P3D, then having more RAM will be useful. I only have 8GB of fast RAM in my current system and it is ample for FSX, the OS and any other ancillary programs running at the same time.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks,  does it not even help if you use the DX preview? I remembered seeing something like that somewhere, though no telling if it was really true or not. Oh well. I need it for another application anyway not just FSX. I've noticed that it uses just about 3k in ram every time I've tested it. 

FSX and FSX-Steam Edition are 32-bit programs, so they will utilize a maximum of 4 GB of RAM.  Having more that 4 GB allows Windows and other processes to operate without infringing upon the 4 GB that FSX uses, so long as your operating system is a 64-bit version.  DX10 Preview has nothing to do with the limitations of a 32-bit program and RAM.  DX10 Preview seems to be a more efficient version of Direct 3D, so it is faster and uses less RAM when rendering images than DX9, but it is highly advisable to purchase and install Steve's DX10 Fixer as MS never fully implemented DX10 into FSX.  

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.