Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

What is happening with payware?

>(1) I have to admit, I agree that a trial period is definitely>a good idea. It doesn't have to be long - maybe just a 7-14>day period is fine - as long as the period is long enough for>the end-user to learn the to be able to use the product given>its complexity given the complexity of aircraft like the 744>for example. This should also encourage developers to make>sure their products are bug-free and without any major issues>so that trial-periods can turn into purchases by the majority>of users.>Works for me!!! }( To be truthfull, I don't have enough interest in full fledged system airliners to spend forty or fifty bucks on them. But a week or two "freebie", compliments of the hardworking developer would be great!L.Adamson

Guest artmartin

Here's my take on what you call "hobby developers" because I probably fall into that category. The little perk from commercial sales of my product which, when you factor in all the costs in the marketing and the huge time and resource investment, amounts to not even a break-even point. However, without that perk, my hobby would dry up. I have a family that requires my attention and they would never put up with me sitting for thousands of hours in front of the computer just playing. There seems to be this acceptance though when it has a small commercial payoff. A little extra something for Christmas, an additional dinner out now and then. Offering a limited product will not pay for my children's college or buy a new car. But let's say this sideline business did continue to grow to where it could be a real profession. Where in the world do you want people to start, simply give up their jobs and security and dive headlong into an industry with little hope of profitabilty? How patently absurd. When I began my scenery project, the quality of what I was putting out was truly amateurish. I put up with a lot of inconsistencies because it was just for me. As soon as someone convinced me though to go commercial, that bar was raised just as the way the bar to my life was raised when my first child was born. Of the hundreds of people that have bought my product, I've had but a few true complaints and I think they were all dealt with with the utmost of attention. All of those people (that I know of) have come back to praise my response and the way I dealt with their concerns. I'm not so sure, had my product been freeware, that I would've felt the need to put so much time and effort into making sure their experience was fulfilling. It would've an understandable aspect of human nature to just sluff them off as whiners. Do the fulltime designers stop using FS as a hobby? I'd hardly believe that. From the tone of your post it sounds like FS becomes nothing more than a grind to them. Somehow I'll bet these guys still love jumping in the planes they design and just flying around enjoying the fruits of their creativity for hours on end. Art

>Do the fulltime designers stop using FS as a hobby? I'd>hardly believe that. From the tone of your post it sounds>like FS becomes nothing more than a grind to them. Somehow>I'll bet these guys still love jumping in the planes they>design and just flying around enjoying the fruits of their>creativity for hours on end. My honest reply to this is that yes, I still enjoy FS as a hobby. However, when I do decide to take a break from modeling or gauge programming, I'm so weary of looking at whatever I've been working on that I nearly always spend that precious time flying someone else's product! ;) Sometimes it's another company's payware release, but most often it is getting checked out in one or more of the recent freeware releases... :-jumpy

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest IanP

What? You mean I'm not supposed to depart the 6-minute trial at Cloud9 Lugano and fly to land on the taxiway to avoid the big blocks at Simflyers Frankfurt? I'm supposed to have paid for them? Why would I bother doing that? ;-)All sarcasm aside, that's exactly what people do. I like C9's technique of shutting down FS after the trial period on the aircaft packages, but that wouldn't work for a complex airliner, as in the example above, because you'd not even get the thing started before FS closed on you... :-)Cheers,Ian P.

>All sarcasm aside, that's exactly what people do. I like C9's>technique of shutting down FS after the trial period on the>aircaft packages, but that wouldn't work for a complex>airliner, as in the example above, because you'd not even get>the thing started before FS closed on you... :-)>Maybe you can "pause" the demo, and make a ton of changes, like I always did with the X-Plane six minute demo. That way..............the demo seemed to last much longer! And yes, these reply's of mine, are also full of sarcasm! :D L.Adamson

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Everytime a new generation of console comes out, I hear discussions about how great FS would be if it were on that platform. Hasn't happened yet and probably never will. I've owned consoles from just about every generation since the Atari 2600 (big vid game fanatic here) but as much as I enjoy them, they simply never have had, and probably never will have a FS anything like whats available for PC users.

Guest VAA_008

Hello,16 pages... I had to jump from page 3 to here because I got bored. If only threads would not keep on draging like this and force payware or freeware developpers to check them and see what is said good or bad about them, they would definitely have more time to work on fixing bugs.And yes, I just made this thread longer but I keep being amused by all the neverending complaining... No excuse for piracy though. I am not a developper and I don't stand for piracy. The slightest reference to it is exactly like it has been called, "ridiculous"If you do get caught with pirated software, not matter how expensive it is, I hope someone takes the time to sue you...

>No excuse for piracy though. I am not a developper and I don't>stand for piracy. The slightest reference to it is exactly>like it has been called, "ridiculous">>If you do get caught with pirated software, not matter how>expensive it is, I hope someone takes the time to sue you...Ahhh the p word. In a 5 paragraph opening post you seized on 1 word. Read the rest of the post, and the thread and you might understand a little more, and be less bored :)

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg