Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Saitek Throttle Quadrants - how easy to clean potentiometers?

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Show me where people have 2 quadrants both connected via USB with none connected via PS/2.

Look here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/46996-Duel-Saitek-Throttle-Quadrant-HELP

Although the OP originally had some problems, he sorted them out in Post #11

And here: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/topic/16678-twin-throttles-what-are-my-options/&tab=comments#comment-144091

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Look here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/46996-Duel-Saitek-Throttle-Quadrant-HELP

Although the OP originally had some problems, he sorted them out in Post #11

Fine, thank you. I did notice he had a CH yoke. I'm not really interested as I won't be buying any more Saitek kit.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I obviously edited my post to include a second link while you where reading the first link. I can understand your frustration with your Saitek quadrant but my experience has been quite different. I've had my quadrant for several years and have had no issues with it (perhaps that's tempting fate!).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But ask yourself why Saitek would have a PS/2 connector for one quadrant if it wasn't necessary?

There is only one joystick controller in the yoke system. If they used the USB quadrant it would need to have two controllers.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I've had mine since 2008 and they're still usable but two axes on the two units are far from smooth when viewing them in the properties screen. I've had my money's worth out of them.

If you don't check how smoothly they're operating you'll be okay but they won't last forever and I want something better now. Fed up with plastic. It's much harder to land well with low grade units.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I came across this old bookmark I had from a long time ago, maybe it will help some budding cockpit builders.

http://www.opencockpits.com/index.php/en/download/item/how-to-build-a-b-737-300800-throttle-quadrant

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I've lurked here for years off and on. I broke down and registered just for this thread. I have a throttle quadrant from at least 10 years ago. It's been sitting unused for years. I pulled it out today and hooked it up after dusting it off, and it was a mess. None of the throttles worked almost at all. Failing to register movement, jumping all over the place, jitter on all axis, reverser buttons not responding at all. 

I figured I had nothing to lose, and looked at cleaning it up. Taking it apart and manually cleaning it with alcohol seemed like a lot of work, but not beyond my abilities. After reading some, I figured contact cleaner should help. I ended up here, and read the whole thread, and came to a conclusion. I had nothing to lose, not really, and it owed me nothing. I used WD40, a lot of it, in an attempt to clean it up. I know you can use WD40 in place of contact cleaner, and have done so many times. Here is what I did:

1 - Fired up my air compressor and hit it with 60 psi around each throttle stick. Blew as much dust as I could out of it.

2 - With the sticks in the 100% throttle position, using a straw nozzle, spayed a liberal amount of WD40 into the base of the stick, focusing on the pot side.Repeat for each throttle stick.

3 - Work the sticks back and forth a bunch, and repeat 2. At this point WD is dripping out of the case.

4 - Use my compressor set at 60 psi still to blast out as much of the WD40 as I could. My thinking was to carry as much dust and grime out with the WD40 before it fully evaporated.

5 - Finaly clean up with paper towel.

The end result is shocking. Everything works perfectly. Everything. Each throttle stick movement is smooth, with zero jitter. Each reverser button works exactly as intended. Throttle stick movement is smoother, and the detent at the reverser switch is crisper; probably owing to the smoother stick movement. 2 days in, and several hours on the quadrant, and it is perfect still. Like new.

It works. I read several accounts of using contact cleaner, with similar results, across Youtube, reddit, message boards, etc... I wanted to post this here, in hopes that someone getting here via google can see a more complete account of using WD40 to restore their throttle quadrant to like new performance. The WD40 even cleans the plastic some. I was thoroughly impressed, and would recommend it.

• Upvote 1

Realizing this is an older thread, except for the last post a few days ago (with which I agree as to the method of cleaning!), I have a different issue with my Saitek throttle quadrant and am hoping someone might have some ideas?

It was working perfectly until it wasn't. Power light is on, swapping usb ports on the Saitek yoke with my Thrustmaster joystick makes no difference (joystick still works fine) but there is nothing from any of the three potentiometers nor from any of the buttons. Anyone ever have any experience with a sudden failure like this?

Thanks,

Andy

58 minutes ago, VintAge111 said:

Realizing this is an older thread, except for the last post a few days ago (with which I agree as to the method of cleaning!), I have a different issue with my Saitek throttle quadrant and am hoping someone might have some ideas?

It was working perfectly until it wasn't. Power light is on, swapping usb ports on the Saitek yoke with my Thrustmaster joystick makes no difference (joystick still works fine) but there is nothing from any of the three potentiometers nor from any of the buttons. Anyone ever have any experience with a sudden failure like this?

Thanks,

Andy

What sim?

If p3d, I've seen some posts about controllers not working, until you select raw input in setting - i'm talking without experience though, just what I've read.

Luke Pype