Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

I Got an Oculus Rift and Love It

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

To be expected by an experienced user, maybe, But warbirds is less than a week into all of this. I'm working on the assumption at this point that he knows essentially nothing, and that even the basics should be gone over.

I am not confronting you instructions at all, relax buddy...

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

26 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

I am not confronting you instructions at all, relax buddy...

I'm relaxed. Simply explaining my reasoning?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

31 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

Well, our configuration is quite similar (your CPU is a bit better, even), and I get great performance with VR in X-Plane 11.

Actually, I have been in Xp11 for the last hour or so, testing my memory of the experience. I find that I can get it running quite smoothly, but I give up a bit for it. Clouds are pretty much a no-go, and near big cities I have to set it so big buildings pretty much don't appear until I'm right on top of them, which means that (for instance) New york is completely invisible from Klga until you are right on top of the city.

On the other hand, I might be completely screwing it up!

I'm curious about your X-plane and flyinside settings, I would like to give them a shot.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks for all the input guys. I am learning a lot from this thread so far.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

31 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Thanks for all the input guys. I am learning a lot from this thread so far.

Since you like racing:

Devons rig

52 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Actually, I have been in Xp11 for the last hour or so, testing my memory of the experience. I find that I can get it running quite smoothly, but I give up a bit for it. Clouds are pretty much a no-go, and near big cities I have to set it so big buildings pretty much don't appear until I'm right on top of them, which means that (for instance) New york is completely invisible from Klga until you are right on top of the city.

On the other hand, I might be completely screwing it up!

I'm curious about your X-plane and flyinside settings, I would like to give them a shot.

I use mid to high settings on XP. I am not at home atm, but nothing is completely maxed out to the right (reflections on low, shadows on low). In Flyinside, I set the max possible resolution. I really did not mess up much with the config, pretty much what I was using before installing Flyinside.

I get great performance, usually always at 90 fps. 

As for the clouds, I use the default clouds with the NOAA weather plugin. It is the best cloud experience for VR, because they do not rotate. I find them pretty good! But yes, if the weather is OC, the FPS may slowdown a bit.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

21 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Since you like racing:

Thanks, I really like Project Cars and thinking of getting PCars 2 when it comes out. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

4 hours ago, warbirds said:

Thanks, I really like Project Cars and thinking of getting PCars 2 when it comes out. 

A good thing to remember is that Steam prices often tend to be lower; often much lower, than the exact same item in the Oculus store. For instance, Project Cars in the Oculus store is perennially $59.99, whereas the same game is often at $29.99 or lower on Steam.

This is not an isolated occurrence.

The takeaway is that if an item is on offer at both stores, make sure to check the prices before purchasing! Also, Steam has a very open return policy on purchases, whereas the Oculus store has none at all. You buy it, it's yours forever.

Moving on, I did purchase Project Cars a while ago, but breaking my own rule about giving programs a fair shot before turning up my nose, I'm afraid I dismissed it pretty early because of a perceived stiffness in the controls, and some juddering in the graphics.

I was wrong. While checking it out again to assist you better, I got much deeper into the settings, and gave the game a lot more of a thorough workout.

It turns out the problem was the simmers (that would be me) incorrigible urge to turn all settings to max, and that's pretty much the kiss of death, it seems, in games not specifically designed with VR in mind.

I found a video with some nice settings suggestions for Project Cars VR (the reviewer has a nvidia 980) and followed his directions, then turned up the antialiasing supersampling in the game settings to max, since I figured my 1080ti could handle it. The result was a super smooth game with no more juddering and stiffness on curves, and a lot more enjoyable experience.

I can now see why you like the game!

Here is the video, in case you might find it helpful!

Devons rig

Thanks, I have mine maxed but I think Steam has much lower settings for the VR version when I use it. In the standard version I have light rays and crowds and such  but when I go to the VR version it is fairly plain looking. Of course I really don't have time to ogle the graphics when doing over 100 in a vintage open wheel roadster in the rain :)

They say Project Cars 2 will be VR native and not a patch up job so very interested in it.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just a heads up. I have been in the Pcars2 beta (as well as the orginal Pcars) and I must say that I am not really blown away with the difference between 1 and 2. The biggest difference (for me) is the addition of off road racing. However, although I can fly and drive all day in VR, when ever I try the off road stuff (like dirt) I get sick really quickly.

So I have Dirt, Pcars and Pcars2... and I play... Assetto corsa (mainly because it is openly modable)