MikeT707

I Got an Oculus Rift and Love It

I got the Oculus Rift for the $399 at Best Buy, which included Valkyrie and some other games and I am loving the experience in P3D v4. I have been able to use PTA and nice HDR settings and the view is stunning. The experience of actually sitting in the cockpit of a PMDG aircraft (or other quality aircraft) simply cannot be explained. Getting the engines running and taking off for the first time is breathtaking and flying around with REX, Active Sky, Orbx, and PTA is just something to behold. Literally words cannot describe the experience. I did have a Rift last year on v3 (and FSX), but it just was not good enough, so I returned the the Rift, but for me with v4, it is just great. Hopefully more and more people will have an opportunity to fly actually inside the simulator.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

58 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

The experience of actually sitting in the cockpit of a PMDG aircraft (or other quality aircraft) simply cannot be explained.

Actually, I think you did a pretty good job my friend!

How is the clarity? I have heard the resolution for manipulating complex cockpit controls is not yet up to scratch....problems with viewing controls, etc..

Interesting to hear you find the experience so much better in native VR in P3Dv4 vs P3Dv3 when most people say they are waiting for FlyInside to be released for P3Dv4 since they are not happy at all with the native VR support in P3Dv4.

Were you using FlyInside when you tried the Rift last time in P3Dv3?

And would you care to share some details about the settings you're using now that you're so happy with the result in P3Dv4?

You mention both HDR and PTA, neither of these supported in P3Dv3 when using FlyInside so maybe that's where the big difference is?

10 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

I got the Oculus Rift for the $399 at Best Buy, which included Valkyrie and some other games and I am loving the experience in P3D v4. I have been able to use PTA and nice HDR settings and the view is stunning. The experience of actually sitting in the cockpit of a PMDG aircraft (or other quality aircraft) simply cannot be explained. Getting the engines running and taking off for the first time is breathtaking and flying around with REX, Active Sky, Orbx, and PTA is just something to behold. Literally words cannot describe the experience. I did have a Rift last year on v3 (and FSX), but it just was not good enough, so I returned the the Rift, but for me with v4, it is just great. Hopefully more and more people will have an opportunity to fly actually inside the simulator.

I use Active Sky  in VR, do you get those spinning clouds as well? It´s amazing if you fly away from clouds, but disturbing if you get close.

8 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

How is the clarity? I have heard the resolution for manipulating complex cockpit controls is not yet up to scratch....problems with viewing controls, etc..

I`ve been flying many hours in VR with oculus pixel density 1.6 -  1.7, and of course is not 4K, but I can read all the gauges, I program my GTN750 inside the flightdeck in VR, and do all the procedures and start cold&dark in VR. And as someone said, I´m not a mutant, and sometimes I have to lean a little to the panels. I don´t use PMDg´s but I tried  the 737 with this configuration and you can read absolutely all the buttons and knobs effortlessly. Again, is not 4K, really but is so good, and so real that you soon forget the resolution. It´s important to use pixel density at 1.6-1.7, at lower resolution it is difficult to read panels and everything, but 1.7 is quite PC demanding. You get the idea.

7 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Interesting to hear you find the experience so much better in native VR in P3Dv4 vs P3Dv3 when most people say they are waiting for FlyInside to be released for P3Dv4 since they are not happy at all with the native VR support in P3Dv4.

Were you using FlyInside when you tried the Rift last time in P3Dv3?

And would you care to share some details about the settings you're using now that you're so happy with the result in P3Dv4?

You mention both HDR and PTA, neither of these supported in P3Dv3 when using FlyInside so maybe that's where the big difference is?

I use native p3dv4 VR support too and I´m really happy with it. Had some problems with Flyinside, that nomatter what resolution I used I had the same low FPS, v4 native lacks some good Flyinside features (like ATC window on VR) but overall I´m quite happy and flying with VR since v4 day one.

If it helps I fly mainly photorealist scenery so I don´t need the sliders to the right, quite the contrary,and I get 30-40 fps with detailed planes like carenados phenom 300, CJ2, both with GTN 750 integrated. But my CPU (i7 4770K at 3.5GHz) is a bottleneck for my GPU (980ti) and get annoying microstutters with those detailed planes. If I use default p3d planes is smooth as silk.

Cheers

Carlos

Flyinside was better, but using the OculusTrayTool, I find the experience pretty good with the native VR. And a HUUUGE plus for me: I can switch from 2d + Chaseplane to VR and back on the fly! Therefore, it is possible to plan the flight on 2D and switch to VR for takeoff/climb and descent/landing. For longer flights, this is a must for me. 

• Upvote 2

I cannot even get P3D to work with the Rift. I get the icon in the Apps menu but when I click on Start it shows an error.

1 hour ago, tgcbraun said:

Flyinside was better, but using the OculusTrayTool, I find the experience pretty good with the native VR. And a HUUUGE plus for me: I can switch from 2d + Chaseplane to VR and back on the fly! Therefore, it is possible to plan the flight on 2D and switch to VR for takeoff/climb and descent/landing. For longer flights, this is a must for me. 

Thanks tgc been asking the same question and glad to know its possible to switch 2d to 3d on the fly . Mine arrives 7th sept or should I say its here just not allowed to play with it . 

11 minutes ago, warbirds said:

I cannot even get P3D to work with the Rift. I get the icon in the Apps menu but when I click on Start it shows an error.

If you are using P3D version 3 or 4, they have a native mode. Simply click on the screen and choose virtual cockpit on the dropdown. 

Also:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html

P3Dv4 only and I am sure I read where this works with v4.

Just now, warbirds said:

P3Dv4 only and I am sure I read where this works with v4.

Same instructions with Version 4

Thanks for the input! 

Sounds promising about your experience in native VR in P3Dv4 so maybe I'll give it a go rather than waiting for FlyInside for P3Dv4.

Might be a bit of a pain though without access to external add-ons such as vPilot when flying online.