Sign in to follow this  
dave belsey

Nvidia settings

I am using FSX with FlyInside on the Oculus Rift with an overclocked i7 4790K and GTX1080ti.

As so many others, I love the experience but would like to optimise the graphics.  

What settings can be tweaked in the fsx_Flyinside.cfg file, and Is there any improvement to be made using Nvidia Inspector or the Nvidia Control Panel ?

If so, would this be applied to fsx_Flyinside.cfg or OculusClient.exe ?

Dave.

Sadly none of the Nvidia settings do anything. A VR head unit passes through the graphics card as if it is not attached, and therefore you cannot adust any nvidia settings.

If that is true, does that mean that anything in the fsx_Flyinside.cfg file only affects the display on the monitor (which is irrelevant to the Rift user) ?

D\ave.

1 hour ago, dave belsey said:

If that is true, does that mean that anything in the fsx_Flyinside.cfg file only affects the display on the monitor (which is irrelevant to the Rift user) ?

Stay outta da' config! :biggrin:

It's a bad habit brought on by too much flight simming.

Your best bet on modifying the oculus and sim behavior comes through the available Flyinside controls.

And when you say optimize the graphics, what are you trying to do, exactly?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Best thing you can do is use the Oculus debug tool located in your Oculus folder. Set the first setting "Pixels per display" to 1.5 (higher if you have a monster video card) I have mine set to 2.5 for flying and 2.0 for racing. I did try 3.0 but it crashed Project Cars so I stay under that.

You can do the same thing with tray tools but that software kept freezing up on me and I was never sure it was actually working but with the debug tool I know for sure it is set.

One thing about the debug tool, put a shortcut on your desktop because you have to set it each time you use it.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Stay outta da' config!

I hear you, but FlyInside creates its' own cfg BASED ON your existing cfg.  As this already includes many changes, which of these are necessary/unnecessary - affinity mask and the like, for instance.

when you say optimize the graphics, what are you trying to do, exactly

It would be nice to reduce the shimmering of glass panels and digital displays, in addition to getting the sharpest image possible.

I do have the Oculus Tray Tools running  .... at  resolution 5664 x 2976, with a FOV of 104% it achieves  2.01 pixel density.  

The debug tool seems to be defaulting to 2.0 but I don't think this works usuing FlyInside, just on other native VR games.

Dave.

You are correct. The oculus tool works for many titles, however some ignore the settings. Flyinside is one of them. You can set the resolution and FOV directly in Flyinside (as well as other stuff)

Just to clarify a previous point. There is nothing that can be changed in the Nvidia settings. All changes have to go via the Headset SDK. Confusingly this can set either in the Oculus Tool, Steam VR or the game natively (depending on the game).

Its not an ideal situation... I would like to turn down the brightness in many VR situations but sadly rarely get the oppotunity.