Sign in to follow this  
bleekemolen

Landing problems

I'm sorry if someone intend my words like "accusations", my are "observations", or "opinions" if you like, directed to understand a simulated plane better and better (if possible). Here some guys found that the plane was rather strange when landing because the missing "screeching" of the tires, I don't miss this and I judge it a "hollywood effect" because I never heard a similar thing flying on a heavier or a lighter plane, but at the same time this plane doesn't make almost any difference between a hard landing and a smoother one. In this aspect maybe the case to make it more "real", like in the video above and similar ones. Anyway if you do a particularly hard landing you can still crash this plane. :)

Regarding the "lack of logic": I tried several missed approaches and the plane is particularly hard to manage, is this a characteristic of the real plane? Maybe a coincidence but many real accidents relative to the DC6 from the year 1947 happened when approaching and/or landing. Please consult: http://www.baaa-acro.com/ to see more and more crash reports, they are very interesting (also, I found that the altitude cruise was around at 18,000 feet, and this helped me to plan my flights more precise and efficient).

It seems that the PMDG DC6 could have the same dynamics of the real plane when landing, and it is not forgiving, except when the wheels touch the runway. BTW I need to test this DC6 and read your manual (and the crash reports) more and more to make a more precise opinion (and no accusation).

Claudio Rampini

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

I too was troubled and have complained about the lack of tire screech on landing. However, remembering the experience of several flights a took in DC6's when I was a child and young adult, I now recall that inside the cabin, the engine noise was very high. Significantly higher than modern jet airliners. It was difficult to even have a conversation with the passenger sitting next to you; you had to talk very loud when you spoke to the stewardess, for example. I now don't think you would hear the tires screeching from inside the cabin of a DC6 because of this very loud roar of these giant rotary piston engines. I would like to hear the gratifying sound of the screech, but now I think it would not be realistic. I do believe I hear a slight "bumping" noise when the landing gears contact the runway, but I could not identify a .wav file  that is obviously named to be this faint touchdown bump. Perhaps someone from PMDG could clarify.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Clarification would have to come from one of the devs on this project, but in flying the DC-3, I don't think I've ever heard a noise come from the wheels. I get that it's a different plane, but the nose shape (wind noise) and engines (large radials) are essentially the same in their contributions of noise to drown all of that out. At most, you might hear somewhat of a "whump" as you settle onto the ground...similar to what I think our 744 product has.

Kyle Rodgers

From my many flights in the Super Constellation and the DC-3, I can confirm that outside, as a spectator, you hear much better a tire "squeak" as the engines are noisy. But it also depends very much on the landing. A firm landing creates more a "thump" inside and tire "squeak" only if you need a strong correction after cross-wind. But I have filed a request to give us a bit more sound feedback as we cannot feel the acceleration you feel in the plane.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

On 9/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, metzgergva said:

But I have filed a request to give us a bit more sound feedback as we cannot feel the acceleration you feel in the plane.

Thanks. Looking forward to that development. I think it will help.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049