Sign in to follow this  
jshek

DC6 Spark Advance and Oil Dilution

Good day,

I was just wondering if someone could confirm these 2 functions for the PMDG DC6 for P3D. I am well aware of how spark advance works from working on cars (spark ignition before TDC) etc. I couldn't find anything in the POH about when to use? If it is modeled?

If I follow the oil dilution procedure before shutdown and then save the flight, will it aid in starting when I load up for the next flight or is this not modeled?

Finally, is there a way to set it up every time I load a new DC6, it will automatically load in Cold and Dark? Instead of running.

Thanks for the great product.

Jordan

Hi Jordan, first there is no spark advance control in the DC6 which is why you cannot find anything that mentions it. Starting is facilitated with a magneto booster described on pg 159 in the POH. I assume that if oil dilution is performed per cold weather procedures on POH pg 279-281 that this is recorded in the panel state file that is saved when you save a scenario, and when you next load that scenario then the variables in the panel state file are applied.  Simply starting a new default configuration will probably not recall the prior session oil dilution.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hey,
I was wondering the same things since I've bought de DC-6.
Spark advance is indeed present, the 4 switches under the 4 red covers on the upper-overhead Panel. (labelled with "Special cruise")
?

Barth

Quentin Barthélemy

Hi.

i noticed these switches , i would suspect they would be used at higher alts , but a small test i did on the ground with these switchs , i noticed no change on any gauge , so i suspect these switches are dummies .

regards alan cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Spark Advance is INOP in this version (devs have told us so). I tried them on my last flight at FL200 and there was no change to the engines. My speculation is that because the modern version burns 100LL, we can't lean aggressively enough to justify the use of Spark Advance. This may also be the reason we cannot run leaner than auto-lean.

Robert Toten

Hi,
These explanations seem logical...
A little pitty this is'nt simulated though (but yes, PMDG had to stay true to the real aricraft they based their work on)

Quentin Barthélemy

On 10/23/2017 at 10:37 AM, downscc said:

Hi Jordan, first there is no spark advance control in the DC6 which is why you cannot find anything that mentions it. Starting is facilitated with a magneto booster described on pg 159 in the POH. I assume that if oil dilution is performed per cold weather procedures on POH pg 279-281 that this is recorded in the panel state file that is saved when you save a scenario, and when you next load that scenario then the variables in the panel state file are applied.  Simply starting a new default configuration will probably not recall the prior session oil dilution.

Better have a look above the fuel pump circuit breakers.

56 minutes ago, jshek said:

Better have a look above the fuel pump circuit breakers.

Wow... you found that it work then?  When I said there is no spark advance I implied they are disabled and removed from the POH.

Dan Downs KCRP

Weren't very clear but I'll take your word.  Anyways thank you for the reply on the Oil dilution.