Sign in to follow this  
mattyshigh

Seriously considering going VR?

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Ooooookay, never mind!

I dont follow. You own a VR headset but you dont use it? You are asking others what FlyInside looks likes as you would spend the hundreds of dollars on the headset but wont try the demo?! You then are quick to judge it only to surprise yourself at your quick to judge of Aerofly and now you rave about it?! You do realize that you can almost get the same color and lighting in FI on P3D that you can in AFS2 right?

AeroflyFS2 is hands down to me the best at VR during the day. Xplane 11 is the best VR at night IMHO. P3D has all my addons. As a simulator it all comes down to what the end user is wanting to simulate. If you have been using a 4k monitor and feel that is what you are use to then yes, VR will not jump out and best it. Some people love to sim and fly looking at the plane from outside views...me, I only go outside the plane in Avatar mode on the ground. Point is, simming offers various things to be simulated and the way the end user likes their sim may differ in so many directions.

I guess my point is you are looking to be sold on VR but not willing to give VR your best try and when it seems you did you surprised yourself that you kinda liked it. By your description of your trial with FI it sounds like you dont have the setting set for VR because your description of VR is nothing like what I see in FI. Artifacts, shimmering?! I dont see any of that. What I see is like watching a Youtube video in 720HD for VR compared to 1080 for non VR. Things are jsut a bit clearer in non VR but other than that there is hardly no difference in lighting.

I dont own a 4k monitor but have seen simming on it at FlightSim Con and agree the colors and clarity are amazing and you notice it. If that is what you are looking to simulate then VR is not for you.

58 minutes ago, Ident said:

Things are jsut a bit clearer in non VR...

A bit clearer? My experience was that things were much clearer using a monitor. Some applications seem to work better than others with VR but, in my opinion, FSX and P3D are not amongst those applications. I want to be able to quickly scan the whole instrument panel by just glancing across it and you just can't do that without leaning in or using a zoom function - the immersion you gain from the 3D effect you lose from the lack of detail.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, Ident said:

Ooooookay, never mind!

Somethings not right there. You must not have started using FI with default settings. Or you have chosen to change some settings that have put it all out of whack.

The only tweaks I have is increased the resolution to a higher custom setting in the INI, adjusted the world scale to 90. 

The experience is still good and FI is worth it to me because I can fly the fancy airplanes like PMDG at large 3rd party airports with silky smooth stutter free flying.  

As I’ve said many times around here only drawback using FI is the resolution seems to be reduced compared to native P3D VR.

FWIW... I think native P3D VR is comparable to Aerofly FS2 in terms of visual quality and resolution when looking through the Pimax 4k Headset. FS2 does have better performance FPS wise over native P3D VR but there’s a whole lot more going on under the hood of P3Dv4.

With the Pimax and native P3D or FS2 I get no screen door effect, clear readable gauges and a very wonderful immersive experience.

Granted this is the beginning of VR flight simming and yes in 5 to 10 years time we’ll all be using them in 8k quality (per eye). But in the meantime I’m still getting VR orgasmic pleasure. 

IM

2 hours ago, Ident said:

What I see is like watching a Youtube video in 720HD for VR compared to 1080 for non VR.

If that were true it would mean VR was available in HD, which it is not.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

42 minutes ago, threegreen said:

If that were true it would mean VR was available in HD, which it is not.

I didnt say you actually see in 720, I am comparing VR to Non VR and used that as a reference.  

I have a Pimax 4k.  But it is the BE version (102x...) , Business version.  Which means I can see a little bit of screen door effect, but I have a nice bright display as compared to the 4k LCD version.  

You can get a Pimax 4K for around $350 total.  It has built-in 3dof head tracking.   

This small company is the one to watch.  Without a large budget they have a created and polished a VR product second to none now.  As another post said earlier, I Can Read The Guages.  I disagree with the distance view being Pimax issue but is a Prepar3d LOD issue.  Other than that This is a System that works NOW.   The limit to my experience is coming from my system, not the Pimax.

Pimax is using a technology that on top of other technologies to make the display workable at lower framerates.  It Works.  I do not get dizzy even though I get around 30fps on my 3077k and 2x GTX 780 SLI.  And I Can Play Many Other Games on my system maxed out an Oculus Rift would deny me.  Without motion sickness being an issue.  This small humble company is doing what arrogant multibillion-dollar funded companies could not do.  

You NEED to be aware of the 8k version to be released very soon.  The version without controls, 3dof only, will be $499.

On 30.10.2017 at 3:14 PM, J van E said:

I think that's because a lot of people may find this immersion killing. I would. I already have problems getting the idea I am actually there and constantly switching between different preset views wouldn't help...! 

Well, because of today's iteration of VR there are also alot of things with it that are immersion breaking. Mainly this is related to locomotion. When xplane 11 updates to native VR this fall/winter, you will be able to instantly move from one spot to another, which is very typical of many games in VR. It is still the best solution we have unless you want to either stand/sit still in real life while moving in vr (induces motion sickness for many), or you want to buy a moving platform to stand on (not really an option). Because of this need to move around in VR I find it surprising that stored viewpoints are not available in xplane 11 (with flyinside). It makes it more cumbersome than needed if you ask me. I have p3d v3 and xplane 11, and I have flyinside for both platforms. P3D is done much better in this regard; it gives me choice so if I want to use the view system I can, and if I find it immersion breaking I dont have to.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

9 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Well, because of today's iteration of VR there are also alot of things with it that are immersion breaking. Mainly this is related to locomotion. When xplane 11 updates to native VR this fall/winter, you will be able to instantly move from one spot to another, which is very typical of many games in VR. It is still the best solution we have unless you want to either stand/sit still in real life while moving in vr (induces motion sickness for many), or you want to buy a moving platform to stand on (not really an option). Because of this need to move around in VR I find it surprising that stored viewpoints are not available in xplane 11 (with flyinside). It makes it more cumbersome than needed if you ask me. I have p3d v3 and xplane 11, and I have flyinside for both platforms. P3D is done much better in this regard; it gives me choice so if I want to use the view system I can, and if I find it immersion breaking I dont have to.

I don't know why movement is so controversial and considered a barrier.  We all got very used to joysticks and sedf for moving and not it's second nature, but it sure isn't natural.  I think people are being spoiled and I'd be willing to bet something simple will be accepted quickly without all the teleporting nonsense.

17 hours ago, denali said:

I have a Pimax 4k.  But it is the BE version (102x...) , Business version.  Which means I can see a little bit of screen door effect, but I have a nice bright display as compared to the 4k LCD version.  

You can get a Pimax 4K for around $350 total.  It has built-in 3dof head tracking.   

This small company is the one to watch.  Without a large budget they have a created and polished a VR product second to none now.  As another post said earlier, I Can Read The Guages.  I disagree with the distance view being Pimax issue but is a Prepar3d LOD issue.  Other than that This is a System that works NOW.   The limit to my experience is coming from my system, not the Pimax.

Pimax is using a technology that on top of other technologies to make the display workable at lower framerates.  It Works.  I do not get dizzy even though I get around 30fps on my 3077k and 2x GTX 780 SLI.  And I Can Play Many Other Games on my system maxed out an Oculus Rift would deny me.  Without motion sickness being an issue.  This small humble company is doing what arrogant multibillion-dollar funded companies could not do.  

You NEED to be aware of the 8k version to be released very soon.  The version without controls, 3dof only, will be $499.

Does flyinside support this one?

How good exactly is the resolution?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD