Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX-SE no longer compatible with Windows 10

It might be worth monitoring the Windows 10 Insider channel to see if the latest build contains the bugfix and maybe get into the Insider program to get any fixes early (but risk exposure to other bugs).

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/tag/windows-insider-program/

(Didn't see any reference in the Nov. 22nd build 17046.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

thanks, Dane, I bookmarked that MS help link and your advise how to use it  too.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Unlike Dane, I have only been wrestling with this problem since W 1709 update three days ago. I am getting too old for this kind of problem. I am not a computer guru or an expert FSX even though I have been a FSX supporter for many years and invested so much $$ my wife would get really really upset even after 50 years. Any way I don't know if it is has been mentioned before but I did check my "event log" and found many problems,which carried the same event no. The one below is typical since W1709 was installed. I don't have a clue what all this means. I just hope MSFT will resolve this issue or issues.

Hope this could help.

Kind regards,

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM

Date:          11/23/2017 5:28:49 PM

Event ID:      10016

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          LOCAL SERVICE

Computer:      LAPTOP-A18MVVM1

Description:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}

and APPID

{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-23T22:28:49.731735500Z" />

<EventRecordID>833</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1096" ThreadID="5916" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>LAPTOP-A18MVVM1</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>

<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>

<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>

<Data Name="param4">{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}</Data>

<Data Name="param5">{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}</Data>

<Data Name="param6">NT AUTHORITY</Data>

<Data Name="param7">LOCAL SERVICE</Data>

<Data Name="param8">S-1-5-19</Data>

<Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>

<Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>

<Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

That event is completely separate from FSX.  I've had that error on my system since I installed Windows 10.  If you run AppCrashView like I did, the faulting module is the ntdll.dll which is a system module which tells you that you have a bad overclock, high settings, or incompatible software.  The incompatible software could be FSX or any addon and I suspect right now it is FSX.

Here's how to fix the DistributedCOM error - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7742f039-70af-49b5-b37e-9597da743971/event-id-10016-the-applicationspecific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation?forum=win10itprogeneral(need to be a computer expert).  It is quite complicated and some still cannot fix it BUT Microsoft does say the Event can be safely ignored (just delete the logs in the Event Viewer once in a while).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim knows this but just a reminder to all that the same sorts of Windows 10 "Creator" problems arise in FSX Classic and in P3Dv3.

Lots of suggested solutions...but so far nothing (AFAIK) decisive.

--Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

12 hours ago, Jim Young said:

If you run AppCrashView like I did, the faulting module is the ntdll.dll which is a system module which tells you that you have a bad overclock, high settings, or incompatible software.  The incompatible software could be FSX or any addon and I suspect right now it is FSX.

Jim, thank for your help. I installed the AppCrashView and the findings are below. If does indicate FSX is the problem and the ntdll.dll is part of the problem and also Xaudio2.dll. Below is a sample of the findings which occurred after the windows upgrade. I assume it is incompatible software.  Not sure about the audio module. To try to correct the software problem do I start uninstalling most recent software until I find the problem or could I just go into the FSX scenery.cfg  and disable one at a time.  

fsx.exe  Stopped working              11/22/2017 8:02:44 PM  All Users              0xc0000005        Access Violation              0x0003008e        ntdll.dll  10.0.16299.64    E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe      34,692   C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_3d63f228cf9794fc3368dddf9d15125bd1172a93_a37f3a76_04004f32\Report.wer              

fsx.exe  Stopped working              11/23/2017 11:27:57 AM              All Users              0xc0000005               Access Violation               0x0002cbef         XAudio2_6.dll     9.28.1886.0        E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe      36,924   C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_e94f433b858639b477e9d5c1a8069a1bf77fb2d_a37f3a76_04976226\Report.wer              

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Carl,

I have this issue occasionally (probably like you and the others).  For me, this is strange as FSX works perfectly after getting the error and restarting and trying again.  The second or third time I load the same flight, I get the error.

Here is a possible fix for the XAudio2_6.dll error -

The ntdll.dll is infamous with flight simulation.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, in the rear of the guide, there are some suggestions for fixing.  Reducing fsx settings and any overclock has fixed it for many.  One known fix is renaming the mytrafficmil.bgl to mytrafficmil.bgl.off.  But I have already done these fixes and I still get the crashes occasionally, usually when first starting up FSX to a scenario.  Any subsequent sessions, I have a hard time replicating which is super strange.  It's like the infamous g3d.dll error from years ago where it happened sporactically for many members.  You just never knew when it was going to happen.  If you clicked on the FSX menu for Options>Display it might open up your FSX settings.  It may not.  The errors are not new to flight simulation (error creating child window and unsupported operation was attempted).  Just Google those errors with FSX in the search and you will see it has happened before.  At FS Developer's site, some fixed it by reinstalling the Microsoft Visual 2010.  Microsoft Updates are constantly providing "security updates" for Microsoft Visuals and dotnets.  Hackers are constantly exploiting Microsoft programs that help developers install and run their programs properly.

I am going to try and follow my suggestions in the AVSIM CTD Guide on how to fix most crashes and freezes at page 10 and see if that will fix the issue.  This is done by renaming the FSX.cfg (already done), the dll.xml, and the scenery.cfg, restart FSX and let the FSX and scenery.cfg be rebuilt (the dll.xml is not a default program and will not be rebuilt).  If this fixes the problem then the issue is in one of these files.  If the errors continue, then I need to remove all of the .dll's added by programs like Carenado as every .dll in the main fsx folder is loaded whether you want it to load or not.  If this fixes the problem, then it was one of those dll's and moving them back into the folder 2-3 at a time might identify which one.  If you or anyone else tries this, you must not use a payware aircraft.  It must all be default as you are trying to find out if it is an addon. 

Not many of us are getting this error or not many of us are using FSX/FSX-SE anymore as everyone using FSX/FSX-SE should be here complaining. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks again Jim.  What a wealth of information you have provided. My work is really cut out for me to try and get FSX-SE back to the way it use to be.  At least to get some improvement before all the sales are over. Maybe the best solution is just jump in the car with my laptop and take a trip to Charlottesville. It would be a nice visit since I use to live there many years ago.

Regards,

Carl

I did everything I recommended above and found the issue is in the scenery.cfg.  Rename your scenery.cfg to scenery.off, restart fsx and see if this fixes the problem.  You can also disable every addon scenery in the Scenery Library but leave the defaults.  For me it stopped the unsupported operation error and have yet to see the error creating child window error.  Saw it earlier with scenery.cfg with addons enabled though.  I have been able to replicate this 100% of the time by loading the default scenerio at Friday Harbor, clicking on Display.  With the scenery.cfg, crash, renaming and rebuilding the scenery.cfg to default, no crash.  Go back to the original scenery.cfg with all of my addons and crash.  Now to find the needle in the haystack... one of my add-ons.  Do not believe the scenery is FSDT or FlightBeam.  Could be FTX regions, Taxi2Gate, a scenery in MyTrafficX, LatinVFR, or TropicalSim.  At least that's where I will check first, then FSDT.

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, you may have hit on something big. In the scenery library first I left all Orbx stuff and disable all addon and payware except UTX. This was well over 125.  Started at Friday Harbor. When clicked on menu display received the dreaded words and shut down.  Next disabled all Orbx stuff well over 100 but kept UTX active. The Good News is so far all is working with no crashes.  If it stay this way it does look like there is something wrong in the Orbx scenery.  Also switched to new default airports  and still working with no problems. Will start adding a few payware back in later after making sure I am not dreaming.

Thanks

Carl

I have found the problem is FTX/Orbx Friday Harbor.  I disable it, no crash.  Enable, crash.  I would be interested to know if this fixes your issue too.  Just load the default flight for FSX into KFHR, click on Options/Display and you should see a crash.  Could this be caused by the new ObjectFlow module recently released?  I have KORS installed too and active and no problems until I switch on FTX Friday Harbor.

EDIT:  Had to disable Friday Harbor and KORS.

Edited by Jim Young

Submit News to AVSIM

This is just a tenative assessment as I want to test this in other areas where I got the unsupported operation error.  I still have not seen the creating child window error yet.

Submit News to AVSIM

I also have KFHR and KORS so that is in line with yours.

Carl

Jim and Carl, this is certainly great findings Jim. You have and are painstakingly going through the process with success so far.

But what still is troublesome to me, at least in my case, is that I do not have FTX Friday Harbor and also the identical flight sim add-ons as well as all other non sim programs that I had when version 1709 came out, which caused my unsupported operation and child window errors, I have reinstalled everyone of them after I installed version 1607 and FSX-SE is performing flawlessly.

Please keep up this very valuable exercise so many others can be helped.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

Jim and Carl, this is certainly great findings Jim. You have and are painstakingly going through the process with success so far.

Hi Dane,

I'm not going to say for sure it is FTX/Orbx scenery causing this error but all my addons are enabled except for KORS and KFHR.  So far, I cannot get either of the errors with them disabled and I can get at least the unsupported operation error if I enable one or both 100% of the time.  I would love to say it is all fixed but FSX and FSX-SE are old sims and old age might be bringing them down with all of the updates from Windows and it could be something else.  Perhaps FTX needs to update the ObjectFlow.dll for FSX/FSX-SE as they did for P3D because of the recent Windows Updates.  First though we need to see if ObjectFlow is the issue.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM