Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX-SE no longer compatible with Windows 10

I'm not going to block the Windows updates because it can't get worse only better. Besides, If Microsoft does come up with a fix, I want to be available.

Hi,

I run Win 10 home,am fully updated re Windows updates and am not having problems with either P3Dv4.1 nor with FSX-SE.

I am doing test flights for a developer on both platforms without any problems.I do not think any of our test team members are having problems and we are from around the world.

Over the years we have seen that not all computers are exactly alike and not everyone suffers from a particular problem, but if there's a problem my computer always has it. lol

On 29/11/2017 at 8:14 AM, thecanarian said:

Just a thought.

Has anyone updated to 1709 and NOT had any issues with FSX:SE ? Is it only a few or many ?

I've updated to 1709 and have no issues with FSX:SE (or anything else, for that matter). See my system specs in my signature below. Add-ons include A2A, RealAir, Active Sky, REX4, ORBX, FS Force, FSUIPC and OpenTrack for head tracking.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

50 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Hopefully I wasn't condescending.  When something is fixed and someone says it isn't, to me that's very negative and like a trolling comment to incite others (okay just me) to make a comment. :smile:  Glad you got it "magically fixed"! 

Best regards,

Jim

Ok wasn't sure and was almost expecting a 'n00b' comment to be in there as well :happy: and no I wasn't trolling, just trying to get my FSX working again, anyhow my joy was short lived as right after I posted to say it was ok now I fired up FSX, loaded my Alabeo Cutlass in free flight, clicked to show menu bar, clicked on show map and "'BAM'" 'An unsupported operation was attempted' error again, clicked 'OK' twice and there I was back on my desktop. I have now uninstalled the Alabeo Cutlass as well so I have no add-on aircraft (though I do have lots of expensive REX/ORBX add-ons installed as well as DX10 Scenery fixer) if I have one more Child window / unsupported operation error I will be removing and re-downloading a fresh install of FSX from steam :angry:

32 minutes ago, Dane Watson said:

I am totally with you as far as P3D v4.1 goes, in two weeks it's mine. I will still keep FSX-SE as it is hard to just give it up after 25 years of MSFS I just can't dump it. But one realizes that we are in the 64 bit world now and FSX just is not there anymore. My FSW and my X-Plane 11 demo never had any issue during the Windows version 1709 problems.

Yes I get paid in two weeks so I think I will probably take the plunge with P3D v4.1 as well :biggrin: I also don't have any issues with FSW (just booted it up earlier to test) other than I don't go a lot on the graphics or presentation but that's another kettle of fish and I don't want to start any flame wars about that, plus Most of my add-ons should be compatible with P3D (REX/ORBX and my Alabeo Cutlass)... Hopefully :mellow: Cheers.

Unfortunately going to P3D is not an option for some of us, as some of us do not have $200 just lying around. And especially when you're retired and on a fixed income. So I'm just going to wait it out. I keep wanting to go get my Windows 10 DVD and wipe everything and start over, but it's such a pain rebuilding everything I just can't make myself do it.:blush:

Recently acquired new computer with windows 10. I had read that the Steam Dovetail version of FSX was more suitable for windows 10 so I tried it for two weeks. Graphics looked bad (lots of shimmering) and had numerous CTD's. Did some research and found a microsoft fix for the DISC version to work in windows 10. Gold Edition now runs and looks great.

Recently upgraded computer, to include Windows 10 Pro.  Bought FSX:SE and FSW, both on sale.  No problems at all.  Followed the AVSIM's Basic FSX Configuration Guide and my FSX:SE looks great.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

6 hours ago, SAX702 said:

Recently upgraded computer, to include Windows 10 Pro.  Bought FSX:SE and FSW, both on sale.  No problems at all.  Followed the AVSIM's Basic FSX Configuration Guide and my FSX:SE looks great.  

That you're likely aware of yet. What is your build number? Fact is the various threads posted here and over on the P3D site that clearly show otherwise. Now is that to say Windows 10 won't be good? No. It won't happen until they have at least 2 more service packs. Direct X 12 is many more years off before becoming more of a frequently seen standard.

I jumped to Windows 10 for one reason and one reason only. It was free.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

2 hours ago, udidwht said:

That you're likely aware of yet. What is your build number? Fact is the various threads posted here and over on the P3D site that clearly show otherwise.

I don't think that anyone's denying that there are some people with problems after the 1709 update. However, those problems are not universal and there are plenty of us who are unaffected (build 16299.64 here).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 12/4/2017 at 10:24 AM, SAX702 said:

So it's running good with PMDG etc?

Molleh,

Haven't installed the PMDG birds yet, but will let you know when I do.  It's unfortunate some are having problems with Win 10.  I simply meant to point out that I wasn't this time. 

Regards

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Interestingly, I have tried several flights with two default FSX aircraft, the C172 and the Lear45. No problems at all with either of them. No amount of clicks on the menus would produce an error. And I even run REX weather with them. Trying to complete a flight with any of my payware aircraft however is a real challenge. Of course the systems in payware aircraft are more complex. And if FSX does crash using a payware aircraft, almost all of the time the faulting module for me is FSUIPC, which would lead me to believe that payware aircraft utilize FSUIPC where the default aircraft do not. Or am I wrong? 

If I start up the PMDG737 at FSDT KLAX, no errors.  If I start up at Orbx/FTX Pacific NW and KSEA, I immediately get a error creating child window so believe there is an issue with objects being rendered in some areas of the world.  No problems with default aircraft (so far).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10