Sign in to follow this  
kneighbour

Add charts?

I see a lot of discussion about updating the navigation data - which I gather is basically not possible. This is a problem, but probably not too serious.

I was wondering if there is any way to add charts? The system only has the USA charts I believe, and for most of the world that is of limited use. I see that there is a /Charts folder that contains a lot of *.fca files. These are basically zip files with *.tpc files in them. I have no idea what the tpc files are. It seems like it might be possible to convert PDF files to this mysterious format.

Any ideas??

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

The charts are likely stored in a proprietary (encrypted) format. So there's no way to import our own charts.
I'm not sure, but it looks like European/(outside of the USA) charts would only be available as an optional purchase (Garmin European FliteCharts) or included in Garmin's PilotPak subscription.
And even if you own them, I'm not certain you can install/use them with the trainer.

10 hours ago, kneighbour said:

It seems like it might be possible to convert PDF files

Hi, I'd be interested to know how to reach this conclusion!

well, I've some good ideas already but you might know something I don't know yet which might proove helpful.

for now, there is no way to add charts, it involves both formatting the chart files to the proper format, and reference them in the index file too.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

5 hours ago, Bourrinopathe said:

The charts are likely stored in a proprietary (encrypted) format. So there's no way to import our own charts.
I'm not sure, but it looks like European/(outside of the USA) charts would only be available as an optional purchase (Garmin European FliteCharts) or included in Garmin's PilotPak subscription.
And even if you own them, I'm not certain you can install/use them with the trainer.

Not properly encrypted format. I've investigated about that and fca files in ..\fc_tpc\charts directory are compressed files which contains tpc pictures.

The problem is that the database read only a listed fca files, so if i try to rename one of them and edit the content, overwriting with another picture, the trainer wont read that because it's not in the fc_tpc.dat database index

Fair enough - it is not possible. I was not hopeful, but you never know!

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

On 11/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

Before this thread goes off the edge of the page, it may not be possible to add charts, but it is possible to update them via this method. The fca files can be opened with any ZIP-based decompressor. And they are in fact, TilePic format images which can be opened with the "Swiss Army Knife" of image conversion, XnView. So, to update the chart, one has to convert the PDF to TilePic, Zip it and rename it with the original file name.

Hi friend! Try to update chart database for Cessna NAVIII Trainer v9.03. Now I have all database updated except charts. Now for G1000 charts has a *.jnx, but in old versions (you know) *.fca.

How do you think, what I need to do? To many files *.fcs approx. 60-200 kBytes. It's can't opened with any ZIP-based decompressor (such as WinZip). Also XnView can't read this file type.....

What's wrong? Please help me and to lot of other users, who want to get updated Cessna NAVIII Trainer.

I do not know, may I post link to torrent site and torrent file. If yes, I will post it, if no-you can write to PM. 

I do it for all and for free.

Edited by Jim Young
Torrent link to immediately download a file into someone's computer was removed. Please read the AVSIM Terms of Service. Links to torrent sites to download pirated material is not allowed.

You guys have any new ideas on this as there's been some time since this thread was created?
I have a jeppesen subscription and I'd like to add charts to my RXP GTN.

My post above is the only way to update the charts but it is too tedious and probably not worth the effort.

• Like 1

So when downloading from Garmin it you can't get these files?
In my case I'd add new charts so the steps you listed should work? I see there is a possible problem of creating a new one and not having it linked to the database index?

Thanks for the feedback.