Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Fix for AoA indicator on the PFD

18 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Neat stuff  :cool:

Edit: Just tested it.. it works! :biggrin:

Very nice!

Personally, I am going with 2.14, rather than 2.25 just so that the indicator can go all the way to the F (Fast) mark.  But that is personal preference.

OK...  let me fine tune it one more time.. we are getting very close..

• Upvote 1

Bert

17 hours ago, Raller said:

AoA-2.jpg

Lets try:

<Script>(A:SIM ON GROUND,bool)  if{ 0 } els{ (A:Angle of attack indicator, number) 2.25 - (A:TRAILING EDGE FLAPS LEFT ANGLE,radians) - 1.05 *  /-/ }</Script>

That should get the needle all the way to the +1 and - 1 mark.

Edit: And tested..now included in V5.7.

Thanks to Raller for his persistence and ingenuity!  :biggrin:

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

That should get the needle all the way to the +1 and - 1 mark.

Unfortunately not, because:

• The "2.25" and the "TRAILING EDGE FLAPS" (when it reaches its flap-position) are fixed values.
  • The "Angle of attack indicator" value goes from 3.14 to 0.82 and is the dynamic value.

So the only effect with the multiplier is, that the dynamic value has more effect the higher it goes. The needle is still limited in the (F) direction! We push the 0 point out of the middle to correct the display and i guess there is no way to bypass that.

Maybe you can change Values in the aircraft.cfg to move the AoA-impact but this would infuence the flight-dynamics! I have no idea :mellow:

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

The way the XML code is executed, (left to right), the final calculated value is multiplied by 1.05 before adding a Minus sign.  The zero point is the same, the sensitivity is increased a small amount.

In cruise flight, with flaps up, the multiplier allows the pointer to go up a bit higher.

Once the flaps are down, the increased sensitivity is OK.. at least to my eyes, it behaves nicely..

We are into really fine differences here, and at some point, it will just be "as good as it gets" :happy:

• Upvote 1

Bert

...at any rate better than before :laugh:

Is the v5.7 Mod ready for rollout? I can't hardly wait to test the Cabin-Temp, the Timer and all the other few little things that make the PC12 better and better. A pleasure to fly this plane - now!

• Upvote 1

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

1 hour ago, Raller said:

Is the v5.7 Mod ready for rollout?

Yes, please request via PM - and include your email address!

Bert

On 11/21/2017 at 3:18 PM, Bert Pieke said:

"A:Angle of attack indicator"  is a standard P3D variable that is measured in Radians , ie an angle  :happy:

It has a maximum value of 3.14. as best I can tell... maybe it is hundredths of a Radian...

The gauge subtracts a fixed value (1.88 or 2.14) from this value, and changes the sign from +  to  -.  This then is the shift distance for the pointer which goes from +1 to -1.

There is no direct relationship to airspeed..

Correct.  And the 1.88 was the calibration to get the EADI AOA to equal the "steam gauge" AOA in the Carenado S550 Citation, nothing more.  If folks want the EADI indication to be very sensitive (+/- 5 KIAS full scale), more mathematical manipulation is required. 

Bert (and those who contributed):

Thanks for continuing to refine the PC-12 into my favorite Carenado product to use!

18 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Yes, please request via PM - and include your email address!

Hi Bert,

Recently took the plunge for the full RXP suite of GPS units...

I thought I saw you posting on them - would your mode be compatible ?

I tried installing the GTN and GNS manually - GTN no bezel - it looks good but the knobs/buttons don't work...

Regards,

Scott 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Bert,

Recently took the plunge for the full RXP suite of GPS units...

I thought I saw you posting on them - would your mode be compatible ?

I tried installing the GTN and GNS manually - GTN no bezel - it looks good but the knobs/buttons don't work...

Regards,

Scott 

I am sure you can make it work... but I am happy with the Flight1 GTN, so see no reason to switch..

As for the GNS, yes the RXP unit is much nicer, and I may work on that a bit and see if I can integrate it properly.  For now, the slightly modified Carenado GNS does the job..

Bert

Hi Bert,

OK - thanks - please don’t do anything in my account - just asked in case it was done - I’m just using this as a platform to evaluate the RXP products since they are new to me... 

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

Just some feedback - loaded up the RXP Gauges and I have them working - better with F1 because the buttons and knobs on the bezel don't work with RXP (need to open popup) - but to be fair to RXP this VC was made for F1... It would be nice to see "crossfill" available from the GTN to the GNS but that isn't supported at the moment... Flew a bunch of VTP approaches into Felts Field in Spokane - everything worked great - paid a lot of attention to the speed gauge you gents worked so hard on - all good and the indications really help while flying the approaches... Much appreciated... Bravo Zulu...

Regards,

Scott

Hi,

Sorry to bother again about this topic. Done some flight recently and got the feeling the AOA indicaton is still a bit to high in relation to the airspeed.

Get around 10% too high airspeed on approach. Am wondering can this be tweaked with the code or do i have to modify the air-file so you get a different pitch when extending the gear and flaps (which will result in different angle of attack versus speed).

Regards,

Marcel