Sign in to follow this  
StewCal

TrackIR Freezing in Prepar3d 4.1

I've been using TrackIR successfully with Prepar3d 4.1 for quite some time. Lately however I have been experiencing "lockups" in certain scenarios. Just did an experiment. I started Prepar3d and loaded the default scenario but changed the aircraft to the piper cub. Everything worked fine. I then loaded the FSlabs A320 into the same scenario. Fine. Then I changed the airport to Aerosoft,s Frankfurt with the A320. TrackIR worked for a few seconds and then locked up. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. It seems that its happening with complex payware airports, but just recently and not all payware airports just to add to the complexity (FSDreamteam airports work).
I did recently complete the Windows 10 fall creators update but the problem started before that installation. One more detail. Head tracking still works within the TrackIR interface after the lockup in Prepar3d but upon closing TrackIr it hangs and has to be closed with Task Manager.  It also makes the items in the Addons menu inaccessible (FSUIPC, Addon Manager etc.).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve G

StewCal

Ps.

I posted a variation of the above in the TrackIR forum but every post there has to be approved and it takes way too long to get any help...Anyway since the above post I have reimaged my computer back to a point prior to the time period where I began to have the problem.  To my dismay the problem persists leading me to believe that the issue might lie with the TrackIr hardware itself.  Before I take the plunge and buy another TrackIR if anyone has any insights I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

Steve G.

Steve Giblin

Steve,

What you're saying is that even though TrackIR is hung up in P3D, it's still responding in the TrackIR interface. That doesn't seem like  a hardware problem to me. I've never experienced this but I'd start out by rounding up the usual suspects. Antivirus program, conflict with another program using the same keys as you use to start, stop, reset Track IR.

I did have the problem where TrackIR sometimes hung after I closed down P3D (various versions). Once I realized it takes P3D 20 - 30 seconds to actually quit I don't even bother shutting TrackIR down at all.

J

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

The fact that i reimaged the entire system to a time well before I started having the issue is what confuses me.  Also that It kills the AddOns menu is baffling.  Why does it work until I go to A complex airport. Frustrating.

Steve

Steve Giblin

Hi Steve,

Could it be that your GPU is getting overloaded?  Try running GPU-Z and see what it reports, issues may be developing with that piece of hardware.

\Robert Hamlich/

Does GPU-Z have a diagnostic section?  When you say piece of hardware do you mean the GPU or TrackIR?

Steve

Steve Giblin

On 11/21/2017 at 6:10 AM, StewCal said:

I've been using TrackIR successfully with Prepar3d 4.1 for quite some time. Lately however I have been experiencing "lockups" in certain scenarios

I've been getting strange performance glitches (loss of flight control, mouse movement glitches, etc.) with TrackIR 5 also as of late. I took at look at the SimConnect log and there's nothing exciting (only a couple of harmless exceptions), but the logfile itself will accumulate to many  GBs even for a short flight. The log is almost entirely made up of TrackIR entries. I did manage to eliminate the problem by changing the performance mode in the TrackIR settings from the default ("precision') to "standard".  My understanding is the standard mode is supposedly for TrackIR 4. This reduced the size of the SimConnect log substantially, indicating to me that there is at least a possibility that for some odd reason the SimConnect channel is being "flooded" with requests from TrackIR and the sim can't keep up, probably due to overly high IQ settings.

TrackIr5 stopped functioning for me as well yesterday.  Fixed it by running SimConnect.msi located in C:\Prepar3D\Redist\Interface\FSX-SP2\retail\lib

@StewCalI meant GPU-Z to determine if the issue was with your the GPU not TrackIR. 

Thanks for the tip Jay, I will have a look at the TrackIr settings

\Robert Hamlich/

I suspected that it might be some kind of communication issue.  As I mentioned in my initial post when it freezes it takes out FSUIPC, AddOn Manager etc....I wlll try running the Simconnect file you mentioned...I wonder if there was some kind of update to Simconnect...?

I did run CPU-Z and the GPU seems fine.

Placed and order for a new TrackIR just in case.  I suppose it is possible that mine is sending funky signals....I can not fly without it...

Steve.

Steve Giblin

3 hours ago, StewCal said:

...I wonder if there was some kind of update to Simconnect

I doubt it. It's either something related to Windows 10 or P3d that is reducing performance of the SimConnect channel. TrackIR does produce an enormous number of SimConnect requests as one's head moves during a flight. For some reason that is now causing an issue. The change to the legacy standard tracking mode just reduces the number of requests, as then the head tracking is less precise.

Uninstalled Prepar3d and everything flight sim related.  Upon reinstallation all is well so far.  Installing one thing at a time so we shall see.

Steve G.

Steve Giblin