Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Xplane11 over Southern Oregon

Very nice, is that Ortho?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

3 hours ago, Silicus said:

Very nice, is that Ortho?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Yes, made the scenery with Ortho4XP using USA_2 as the source, found that better than Bing, more muted colors.  My scenery covers roughly from west Texas/Mexico all the way up to southern British Columbia.

I don't know, Ortho without Autogen doesn't do XP11 justice and it looks more like "FSX + MegaSceneryEarth" to me (of course it's better than that).

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

I don't know, Ortho without Autogen doesn't do XP11 justice and it looks more like "FSX + MegaSceneryEarth" to me (of course it's better than that).

I don't like autogen over my Ortho.  Up high buildings and forests don't resolve themselves.  I tried my Ortho with autogen and just did not care for it, the autogen covered up the ground detail.  That's why I finally went to USA_2 as my source.  I had Bing, then I redid and expanded my entire scenery coverage, just liked the more natural colors of USA_2.  I have Megascenery for P3D and I find the colors a bit too vibrant as compared to my Xplane scenery.  Ortho4XP was my main motivation for getting Xplane.  I've also decided to keep my Xplane on 11.05, it has been very stable for me since I switched to the new Logitech Extreme 3D controller.  That's my recommended controller for Xplane and P3D if you don't mind a stick with twist rudder.  I've assigned my trim to two of the buttons on the stick so I can trim for that "sweet spot" the way my CFI taught me.

Very nice captures of southern Oregon....love the Klamath Falls area!

HLJAMES

6 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

Yes, made the scenery with Ortho4XP using USA_2 as the source, found that better than Bing, more muted colors.  My scenery covers roughly from west Texas/Mexico all the way up to southern British Columbia.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

To each their own, glad you're happy with your setup. To me, the flat buildings and missing roads kill the immersion - below a certain height of course. But you never take-off at 10k feet.

-

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

To each their own, glad you're happy with your setup. To me, the flat buildings and missing roads kill the immersion - below a certain height of course. But you never take-off at 10k feet.

Then why did you bother to look at my screenshots in the first place?  If they offend you in some way, don't look at them.  I don't like to fly a thousand feet off the ground, I prefer to fly a couple thousand feet up, over mountain landscapes, etc...  Who the heck wants to fly over buildings all the time?  I have P3D for that, even then I prefer to get out to the countryside, that is where the real beauty of our world is.  As the song goes somewhat, "We paved over paradise and put up a parking lot".  These pics were meant to show the beauty of a national park, not to worship a bunch of buildings.  As far as missing roads, they are right there.....  Are you blind, LOL?  Just trying to mess with you....

Messing with the Colonel never ends well, most of the time he will end up banned from AVSIM for months at a time!

Technically, I looked at your screenshots because I opted against closing my eyes immediately after I clicked on the thread. They don't offend me, I am just an evangelist of free speech and voiced my opinion (usually only do this P3D related, hence all the bans). I can't help it, I am a sucker for X-Plane Autogen and roads (I meant real 3D roads), but as I said earlier, it's all good if you have it your way. Of course, it is. 

-

1 minute ago, Colonel X said:

Messing with the Colonel never ends well, most of the time he will end up banned from AVSIM for months at a time!

Technically, I looked at your screenshots because I opted against closing my eyes immediately after I clicked on the thread. They don't offend me, I am just an evangelist of free speech and voiced my opinion (usually only do this P3D related, hence all the bans). I can't help it, I am a sucker for X-Plane Autogen and roads (I meant real 3D roads), but as I said earlier, it's all good if you have it your way. Of course, it is. 

I like XPlane Autogen and roads more than P3D, they are a lot more realistic.  But for screenshots, I prefer the photoreal scenery.  I don't think you will be banned, it is the language people use here that can get out of hand sometimes when I was a mod I had to delete some very out of hand threads, finally, I got tired of banning people, let them cool off.  if they did not use foul language, as far as I was concerned they could say anything they want unless they went after a developer.