Sign in to follow this  
tecto

FS Global 2010 or FreeMeshX - which one is better and why?

Could you please tell me, which one is better for P3D v4 - FS Global 2010 or FreeMeshX?

What are the pros and cons for both meshes?

I was using FreeMesh and it's very good if you want to watch your pennies. I am now using FS Global Ultimate (2018 ) and it is very impressive. So far no issues.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

FS Global 2010 is already dated. If you buy new, you have to decide between FS Global 2018 or FS Global Ultimate Next Generation. The latter comes with more data and higher resolution mesh in some areas. I was also thinking to get one of the recent editions (still on FSG 2010), but I could not see a benefit in doing so while comparing screen shots. The limitation is not the quality of the mesh, but how fast your sim (LOD) or hardware is in loading the mesh and textures when you are in flight.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

So, is the global (not ultimate) version better than Freemesh?

Data wise, LOD wise. just visual wise? :P

Victor Roos

At least it is more complete: USA for instance is not included in the base version of FreeMeshX: http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

If you are just flying heavies - FreeMeshX is fine.

If you are flying VFR in Orbx regions - all except the Irish regions come with their own mesh. 
Using any other mesh can produce unfortunate side effects.

If your are flying elsewhere it simply depends on how much you want to bash your wallet.

I used to use FSPilots 2010 now I just use FreeMeshX - good compromise between visuals and disk space.

• Upvote 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

I played around with other mesh products and what frustrated me most were errors in the data, like a high wall that would appear at the 30 deg east longitude line at a distance flying in Southern Africa. I would disappear when you got very close. This does not happen with FS Global Ultimate NG. Just seems like the quality control and elimination of errors in the data of more expensive products a much better.

Johan Pienaar

Ok guys, I'm aware that FS Global 2010 is outdated, however unfortunately I can't afford any new mesh now :(

I see now that there are a lot of pros and cons between these, but if you would have to choose only between FS Global 2010 vs. FreeMeshX what would be your choice?

I'm going to say something really obvious now: FreeMeshX because it's free. FS Global 2018 is €60, and FSG Ultimate Next Generation FTX mesh is €80 but neither product offers much noticeable detail over FreeMeshX for most folks.

FreemeshX is mainly 38m LOD10 and if you want more detail in the USA there's an open beta test of 9m LOD12. If you need more than 38m resolution it's probably in quite a localised area so you'd be better buying photographic scenery or an orbx region that normally includes LOD11-12 mesh.

After much digging around on Pilots' awful website I was able to ascertain 2018 is basically Ultimate with the few ultra 1m LOD15 areas and underwater coverage stripped out. They don't give many specifics on the resolution any more (I wonder if that is deliberate) other than to say flatish areas are done at LOD8 and some mountains are upto LOD14. I'm sure Pilots will try to claim far superior processing of what is mostly the same raw data FreeMeshX uses but I doubt it's noticeable most of the time.

I noticed a big jump going from default mesh to FreeMeshX so mesh updates are definitely worthwhile on the whole, but I've used FSG2010 at a friends and there was no standout difference for me, I wouldn't have known it was FSG2010 without being told.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg