Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Megacity Hawaii-Oahu is out

I see from the metadata for Oahu 1 ft res orthophoto that it is from Earthdata Aviation. Earthdata appears to have bought out Emerge, which had an earlier contract for Hawaii orthophoto data.scott s..

I'd say that earthdata aviation is the parent company of airphoto... If you look at PC Aviator's site they clearly state that their source is airphoto... It's likely "Eartdata Aviation dba Airphoto"

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

I think Airphoto USA must have gotten the Oahu photo from USGS; the US government allows all publicly available geospatial data to be commercially distributed. Take a look at the photo from the USGS and the one from Megascenery; it is the same, just with the colors touched up slightly.-Scott

hmm, I might take a look at it, I'll have to contact my friend at the satellite imaging company that has the contract with the USGS... If they come from USGS DOQQ's then they should also have data available for the other islands... Time to call my friend "T.O."...The reason I know this info is that my associates and I have had a photoscenery for the islands in development... We put the product development on hold temporarily while we looked into possible licensing fee structures...Part of the USGS data might be a mix though as Oahu has been the hardest island to orthograph due to constant cloud cover... I would have to look into that...Airphoto though is a company that specializes in orthography from aircraft and *not* from satellite images. PC Aviator is clear that their imagery comes from airphoto's sources...I know from conversations at one of the satellite companies that the USGS DOQQ's have been contracted to them. Hence my questioning about the assumed sources...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest T7flyer

So ,Just to let you folks know that bobby is affiliated with megasceneryhe's running their forums or somethingso basically his screenshots = advertisement

Guest Bobby

>So ,>>Just to let you folks know that bobby is affiliated with>megascenery>he's running their forums or something>>so basically his screenshots = advertisementYes, I am a moderator on the MegaScenery forum but I do not work for PCAviator. I have a regular job like most other volunteers.My screenshots are from my own machine taken while flying at my pleasure. I post them for other flight sim enthusiasts who want to know what something looks like. I do not have anything to do with Cloud9 but post screenshots of their KLAX. I have no affiliation with ActiveSky but post their screenshots also. I just bought Lago's PHNL to see how it would work with MegaScenery, I don't work for Simmarket, but thought others would like to see how the 2 work togather.If anyone wants "advertisement" of MegaScenery screenshots, they need to go to the MegaScenery home page to see them; I don't like posting commercial shots of other peoples work.Bobby

>I think the guy or guys who did PHNL for LAGO no longer>develop for them but now publish as "Cloud9". I imagine Lago>still has publishing rights for PHNL. That's correct. I did PHNL for Lago (quite happy to see that my little scenery done in 2002 still works ok with the latest stuff), and Lago still has publishing rights over it.However, one day or the other, I might consider doing a totally new version from scratch, since it was a very successful product. Perhaps for FS X, who knows...PHNL is still very dear to me :)kindest regards,Umberto Colapicchioni/VIRTUALIhttp:/www.virtualisoftware.com

>Yes, I am a moderator on the MegaScenery forum but I do not>work for PCAviator. I have a regular job like most other>volunteers.This has come a few times over the last few months, and I think Tom has addressed it in this post:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchI couldn't find a better reference, so maybe if someone has one they could point it out to me. To me, I don't think it matters if you are paid or not, but if you work as a moderator (even as a volunteer) then you have to admit you have a conflict of interest. I don't think MegaScenery is the problem, but there are several other commercial vendors who post glowing reports of their software here anonymously. The impatiality and fairness of the forums suffers when people come looking for recommendations and find posts from people affiliated with various add-ons. There's probably a lot of gray area here, since the rules can't cover every contingency, so maybe there's a lot of people who would disagree with me.And yeah, the MegaScenery Oahu is great.- Martin (neutral, non-affiliated)

Guest Andy Parton

From my experiences the megascenery forums are a hostile place for anyone who disagrees with any of the 'moderators' there, or for anyone who voices some concern or complaint - the threads just get deleted, and/or they just get banned!There was some stuff that kicked off a few months ago which (it looked like) ultimately led to the forums being shut off. It appears that megascenery were falsely advertising their wares and instead of responding they just closed the forum, deleted the threads, then opened the forums again. I know because the issue was of concern to me but now the threads have gone (I just checked ;-)) that was one major cover up and Bobby (to point out just one but there were a few others) were the ones defending megascenery.So I agree that there is a conflict of interests if a forum moderator/beta tester/whatever comes here to advertise a product whether they started the thread or not.Besides, what's to say that Bobby (or any other megascenery shill) doesn't have many aliases to peddle their wares ? It's only a matter of time before it all kicks off again. :-hmmm:-roll

Interesting. I dropped Bill's PHNL on top also. My problem is that it left the terminal that comes with MegaCity. It looks like your is gone. Bill's scenery is off set a bit, but with the -004 file and the Megacity AF2 file completly removed it works very well. I want to just remove the Megacity terminal out of the -004 file and leave the rest of the scenery intact. The -004 also moves Aloha stadium, most of Wakkaii (sp?), and a myriad of other trhings.BradKELP/KBIF http://home.elp.rr.com/bmbanister/BannerSig_BMBanister.jpgAMD Athlon XP 2600, Asus A7V600, 1GB PC3200 DDR, NVidia 128MB GeForce 6800, SB Live

Bobby,Sorry for the confusion. There isn't an objects folder, just your standard scenery and texture. Megacity didn't name the AF2 file in the semi-standard convention. It is called PHNL-HonoluluIntl.bgl. To use Bill's airport I disbled both it and the -004.bgl file and used a AF2 that was made for Bill's scenery. The terminal is a little south of where it should be and I moved one taxiway just a bit to better line up with the ground texture. This is just a temp solution since I miss out on all the other scenery by disabling the -004 file. I decompiled the -004 and am trying to figure out which entries are the terminal, but I'm not very good with that sort of thing. With the number of downoads Bill's version has, I'm hoping someone better than I can crack the code on it, then I would have the best of both worlds. The MegaCity product really is top notch.BradKELP/KBIF http://home.elp.rr.com/bmbanister/BannerSig_BMBanister.jpgAMD Athlon XP 2600, Asus A7V600, 1GB PC3200 DDR, NVidia 128MB GeForce 6800, SB Live

Bobby,You da man. Disabling the OB9OCENO file did the trick. Now I have all the Oahu scenery from Megacity along with the Bill Melichar PHNL terminal. Funny how one person's problem can lead to another's solution.BradKELP/KBIF http://home.elp.rr.com/bmbanister/BannerSig_BMBanister.jpgAMD Athlon XP 2600, Asus A7V600, 1GB PC3200 DDR, NVidia 128MB GeForce 6800, SB Live

Guest sssummer

Hey, Bobby is the megascenery forum down for you too?Brian S.