Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Biting the hand that feeds you...

Guest Daviator

How do you know AVG hasn't let you down? How do you know you don't have many false negative and your system isn't leaking data and personal information out the back door like a sieve? Or that it's being use to propagate trojan horses? Just because your hard drive hasn't tanked doesn't mean you run a clean machine. Unlike flightsim add-ons, these guys are not providing free AV software because it's a hobby. They get something for it. I suspect it's a spyware cloak.

Guest allcott

Dave, If your idea of freeware is that you feel it should be above criticism, then yes, perhaps it is time for you to leave. Or get a thicker skin! Are you suggesting you came here, posted what you did, being disrespectful of other simmers and expect us to be only GRATEFUL? If you're looking for an excuse to quit maybe, OK, use us as the excuse. If however the idea is that a developer - payware or freeware - is capable of listening to the needs of the user through forums such as these, then please feel free to take ideas and suggestions on board in the spirit in which they are intended. I think you have the benefit of an entirely reasonable exchange, with both `pros` and `cons` for your way of doing things, and it is YOU who are being rude Dave, BY NOT LISTENING. If you have so little respect for your fellow simmers then again yes, perhaps it is time for you to leave.In this case we are actually discussing the unnecessary .exe installer, not the addon software itself. A topic which you raised Dave, not anyone here. If you are that sensitive to issues relating to the installer, I am only grateful that I haven't yet downloaded and installed the Stearman. Sorry, but this is one biplane I think I will leave well alone, it's just not worth the hassle. Oh and thanks for your contribution to the hobby and the forum Dave.Allcott

I now have Command AV software. It has a better interface than AVG (IMHO), and uses LESS system resources :D. It's only

>Sorry, but this is one biplane I think I will leave well>alone, it's just not worth the hassle. >I didn't get any rude "feeling" from the original post. I mean jee-wizz, I completely agree. As I've stated earlier, I much appriciate auto-installers for aircraft.If my flight simming required daily file manipulation, then I'd be flying X-Plane more often! :D But I'm just not into that!And.............since I've had the pleasure of flying a real Stearman, I'll be sure to download this one, right now!L.Adamson

Guest allcott

Exactly Larry, if he's that sensitive to a discussion based on a topic he raised, which had no rude feeling, then gawd noze how miffed he'd be if we were to find fault with the airplane!I don't think I want to find out. Freeware is not obligatory for either the author or the user. I choose not to. Dave can make his own decision.Allcott

Guest ponyboy

Hey Dave,I would be surprised if any freeware developer hasn't been slammed from time or another. I sure have. It's one thing to get an email saying your addon is a piece of junk (which I have), but to see a thread saying that for the whole simming world to see is another. (which I also have).I was soooo tempted to make a reply when the post was about my addon but I held my breath and knew in a day or two the thread would be lost in the back pages as new topics were posted. (But of course someone would then make a comment and the post would be right up there on top again!!! Rats! x( )I can only say look at the total number of downloads for your addon compared to the number of people making complaints. That should let you know where the majority of simmers stand. A handful rant & rave, thr rest of us are busy flying and having fun.Yes, many simmers who have been around the block do not care for auto installs but I remember when starting out auto installs were a blessing. I wouldn't have known what to put where and really would have screwed up my installs. Sometimes it's good to let the user have the option... support one method, support both, you decide - you are the developer.The only last comment I can make is I don't believe half the things I read here or on the web... or should I say I dilute what I read by 50%. Just because it's in print (or should I say on a site), doesn't mean it's the gospel. That goes for the website reviewing AVG, these threads, and even my thread! ;)

Alcott-Very well said! I develop freeware stuff as well and must say it sounds like an excuse for him to quit developing in less words. Perhaps trying to get praise too?Am I to get down on my knees and PRAISE those who offer freeware and act like I am walking on eggshells to supply feedback to the developer? Nahhh! Not worth it on my end (as the user) either. I know from developing what I do that NOTHING is perfect, and EXPECT people to voice their opinions to BETTER my work! Now I agree fully that SOME people are just plain IGNORant, so I do the same and IGNORE them (I am "thicker skinned" I guess). I have been contributing to the FS community since FS share group was only on COMPUSERVE, so I guess some of the NEWER freeware people are not seeing the FULL PICTURE?BTW I haven't heard of nor do I even have the add on we're talking about here, just browsing through and rolling my eyes...

Guest allcott

Thanks Tom.The fact is that this is a topic that's been discussed before at length in this forum and had Dave taken the time to use the search engine his unnecessary post need never have appeared. Indeed, he might have got some insight before he even decided to use an auto-installer!I can only assume there is an `agenda` here and it isn't about the efficiency of an auto-installer.Allcott

Dave wrote: > My installer gives the the user the option to choose an alternate directory.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

I guess I am as sure as you are about your scanner not giving falsae-negatives. How do you tell on yours? I bet the same way I do on mine.Oh, I guess to be completely correct about my protection --- My provider scans ALL my email with Postini. So the virus emails never get down from the server and thus AVG hasn't a chance in the email side. Everyone shouls be so lucky. Double protection.Here is how I fool the autoinstallers when I do use one:I rename the "Flight Simulator 9" folder to "Orig flight Simulator 9" and then make a new empty folder called ... "Fligh simulator 9" in the "Microsoft Games" folder. Run the installer exe downladed program and then inspect the dummy "Flight Simulator 9" folder for the folders and files it created. For additional information use explorer tools and tell it to find all the files installed in the last day. Sort the files by date and it should be clear what the installer exe installed. Not a 100% safe, but it will at least tell me what the honest folks out there did to my system. for more protection, let the downloaded file rest several days, update your protection, scan it, and then do the above.Oh, the reason I would give AVG for nothing the single user is that by doing that I have a very large userbase that is scanning many many files. Thus I have a very large test group that allows me to update the commericial data base in a hurry. I guess I would also have every available software package running also -- and have many emails addies on many forums setting traps for the Aholes of the world.Yep David, you often get exactly, as you siad, what you pay for. Excepting mine and your work of course.Example of my work:http://imageevent.com/dvds4bmx

Guest ThrottleUp

Umm...dont mean to go off-topic here but since free anti-virus progs are being discusssed I thought Id jump in:I moved away from AVG and Im using Avast. It is also free and its a solid little prog thats does its job very well. Get it here if youre interested (on top is a menu - point to "download-->programs")http://www.avast.com/

Guest Daviator

I can take criticism just fine. It's when I'm accused of delivering virus that makes me mad. Or when I try to deliver something to make things easier only to have others rip it apart.No worries however, I have requested that the file be pulled from the avsim library.

DaveI haven't been at this 'hobby' for that long, only since FS2002 and your original Stearman was my first download - well, actually it came on a CD with PC Pilot mag, I think. I remember I spent ages with it, and was very impressed. So I am very pleased to here you've made it available for FS9. I plan to reacquaint myself with an old friend.Can I just say that I do appreciate installation programmes. I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to fiddling about with FS files, so if an automatic installer is supplied I'll use it. I'd hazard a guess that the silent majority of simmers are the same.I don't download freeware much these days as I'm trying to really get to grips with some of my payware toys, but I'll certainly be adding the Stearman to the hangar for those 'wind in the wires' moments.Thanks for a great aircraft.RegardsIan

i'm running AVG as well,for more as a year now.never had any problems.and yes,i am very sure i never had any problems :)also,i don't think AVG is mal- or spyware,it never communicates outside the box,except for updates,which take 3 seconds.as for the Stearman,i love that dinky toy.lovely plane :)tataJP.

Hi Dave...my 2 cents here.After reading this thread, and remembering I had downloaded your Stearman, I went to the zip package, ran the installer, and discovered two things:* Installation was easy and automatic* A bonus came after installation with the HTML "step 1 - 7" instruction package for the scenery.My analysis...you've built a great freeware package, asked nothing in return, and if the majority of comments you get are flack, then we probably don't deserve your time. Folks don't think about time very often. Perhaps its because they are inwardly scared of the implications. The reality of time is this: Time is the one thing I can never return to you. If you give me the time of your efforts, that time is forever spent. The only thing I can return you of equal value would be my time, but that too is gone when given.I value your time, and I personally thank you.Cheers,bt