Sign in to follow this  
paulh1

Uncontrolable aircraft in thunderstorms

As flippant as NZ255's answer may seem, he is correct.  It is ill-advised to penetrate or fly beneath a thunderstorm as the winds are unpredictable.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I guess I must be missing something but what does the headwind value have to do with anything? Seems kind of irrelevant.

What was your indicated airspeed before it jumped to 300 knots?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

It is easy for the KIAS to increase rapidly approaching TS caused by the outflow boundary.  I've had it happen in my RW flying when maneuvering to land in the vicinity of TS.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

22 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I agree overall Dan but anomalies excepted, the general turbulence scale is pretty close. My comment is more toward those who feel that 20-30% is more accurate. I don't believe that figure is even close on a general basis.

Vic

Perhaps I tend towards the 20-30% settings because the wx engine treats every cumulonimbus the same, they all seem to paint deep red and they all seem to be the same size. I rarely see ASP4 paint rain showers as showers, they always end up as the worst nature has to offer.  I've never seen this from the cockpit, for example most convective formations that top out below FL200 are usually benign and will paint deep greens at most, whereas the wx engine seems to take every convection event at its worst.  The improvements in the wx engine over the past decade has been significant, and I look forward to improvement in this specific area.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

The improvements in the wx engine over the past decade has been significant, and I look forward to improvement in this specific area.

I totally agree Dan! Compared to what it was, it's exceptional but compared to what it should be - that needs some work.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi All

In relation to Downscc's question,, no I am not running any EZDOC programs. All I run is navigraph moving map charts, PRO-ATC/X active sky and prepar3d v4

Yes guys I realise you are not supposed to fly through thunderstorms. I am more intrigued about my aircraft data and response. When you are at 2000 ft with a headwind of 9 knots, with flaps 1

then within seconds you are doing over 300 knots with no inrcrease in wind data, or no increase in altitude , You have to admit its rather strange?

Maybe in the next active sky release?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU