Sign in to follow this  

Checklist software for iPad?

I've been looking for Checklist software for my iPAD, there are several but I'm seeking opinions.  Some features important to me:

1.  Easy to create and build new aircraft templates

2.  Any provided pre-defined templates are accurate and detailed (and should be editable)

3.  Displays well on an iPAD with easy to read font(s) (not small/tiny fonts)

4.  Night mode display

I'm currently favoring this product (seems to have just about every checklist for any aircraft with a few exceptions): ForeFlight Checklist Pro for iPhone  and features but all opinions welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I don't think that program is available anymore - I just checked the app store and I don't see it - I thought they incorporated it in their EFB product at one point... I see the page on their website - but if you click "Buy" it's not a choice either...

Personally - I'm using the Garmin Pilot EFB and they have a pretty decent checklist utility - but - same difference - you need to purchase a full EFB...

Garmin Pilot

10r8nf8.jpg

FltPlan GO has one which is free but honestly its checklist utility is kind of weak - or maybe it's just the color scheme... Although Siri will read it to you...

FltPlan GO

2vkhouq.jpg

I've used Excel before - then saved to PDF and viewed using Good Reader (scroll lock) - not the most efficient process - too time consuming to produce... Once you have it - it works pretty well...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Just look this soft attracting but is a big rent at high price: 99$/year.

What I do for mine checklists  is on mine computer with past-copy from manuals or tutors, I do a document mixing workflow and checks with one page by step... Power up, starting, taxi, etc... When happy of the result make a PDF imported in IBook. Two advantages, you learn and you have a document as you want.

on the net you find some PDFs of checklists that is easy to import in iBook too.

I got a response from ForeFlight, very rapid and they answered all my questions and claim they do integrate with P3D and XP11.

The base prices is $99/yr the Pro price covering US and Canada is $399/yr.  Checklist aspect is available for base product, but I like the aspect of fuel calc, aircraft performance profiles, no idea what "optimized AviationCloud routes" are, but sounds interesting ... only available in the Pro Plus.  Some of it overlaps what I already have ... I need to get clarification on how it integrates with flight simulators.

They provided a list of supported aircraft "out of the box" HERE.  I had thought about doing my own checklist, but finding time is difficult for me so "canned" solutions are attractive.

Garmin EFB looks interesting also, I'll have to review and fact find that also.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Save you a little time - Garmin only integrates with XP natively... I think you can do that FSUIPC thing to spoof the Garmin into thinking it has a GPS attached... I haven't done it...

Yeah - Foreflight is number one in service - when I was using their product before I switched to Garmin - there was a third party app called "FSX Flight" - or something like that - worked extremely well - that facilitated the communications between PC and iPad - and it passed traffic data too !!! It sounds like now Foreflight probably has their own native support built in... 

I'm using FltPlan GO for my EFB in the sims now - it's the only FREE source of geo-referenced approach plates and taxi diagrams that I'm aware of... It's a step below Foreflight and Garmin but still pretty good in its own right...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

They provided a list of supported aircraft "out of the box" HERE.  

No tubes indeed...

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I had thought about doing my own checklist, but finding time is difficult for me so "canned" solutions are attractive.

Understand wheel, take time to do, but it is too valorising spend-time.

I tried, on mine iPad, some payware "canned" softwares as flightbag but never be real satisfied, two years later iPad's solutions stay inop.

ever considered voice activated checklists rob?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

13 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

voice activated checklists rob?

"Hey Siri"  :laugh:

Not sure how that would work, unless the checklist reads out the item to check and I say "check"?

32 minutes ago, ms2 said:

No tubes indeed

Correct, tubes would be extremely difficult to maintain and most Tubes I have provide their own Virtual checklists in the VC ... so I'm fine with the list being mostly GA.

Cheers, Rob.

19 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

"Hey Siri"  :laugh:

Not sure how that would work, unless the checklist reads out the item to check and I say "check"?

voice activated checklists is an app for Windows, runs alongside P3D...and does exactly that yes.  You can fully edit prompts and multiple acceptable responses.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I will have to check that out, thank you sir.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for all the input, I went with ForeFlight purchase, it's documentation is excellent, support response within an hour or two and most importantly they provide support for XP11, P3D V4, and even AeroFly 2 with instructions on how to connect over a network.  Provides full set of functions, nothing excluded - even fuel prices at airports.  Fuel planning is very impressive with wind data from various altitudes all factored into flow rate ... geeez, I'd never need to plan an alternate with this gem.  Focus is definitely for GA but I it looks like I can generate templates for larger commercial aircraft providing I knew all the necessary parameters.

If anyone is interested in Pre-purchase info, you can get the manual here: https://foreflight.com/ipad/guide/pdf  page 311-316 discusses flight simulator support and how to connect.

I may have to make a video of this, impressive bit-o-kit.  A huge benefit is using this in a real world flight also ... win win all around.

Cheers, Rob.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:21 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

Thanks for all the input, I went with ForeFlight purchase, it's documentation is excellent, support response within an hour or two and most importantly they provide support for XP11, P3D V4, and even AeroFly 2 with instructions on how to connect over a network.  Provides full set of functions, nothing excluded - even fuel prices at airports.  Fuel planning is very impressive with wind data from various altitudes all factored into flow rate ... geeez, I'd never need to plan an alternate with this gem.  Focus is definitely for GA but I it looks like I can generate templates for larger commercial aircraft providing I knew all the necessary parameters.

If anyone is interested in Pre-purchase info, you can get the manual here: https://foreflight.com/ipad/guide/pdf  page 311-316 discusses flight simulator support and how to connect.

I may have to make a video of this, impressive bit-o-kit.  A huge benefit is using this in a real world flight also ... win win all around.

Cheers, Rob.

You made the right choice. ForeFlight has grown leaps and bounds over the past 5 years. I've also used WingX, Garmin Pilot (for Jeppesen Charts). Now that ForeFlight has Jeppesen Charts, and you can install it on two ipads and an iphone, it's all one stop shopping for me. Outside of the sim, when linked with a Stratus for GPS/AHRS and ADS-B, it's perfect. Only shortcoming is inability to link with Garmin flight decks.

Since you went with ForeFlight, don't forget to check out the ForeFlight Web Based flightplanning site: https://plan.foreflight.com/

Use your FF account credentials and any planning you do on the web will show up in the app.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

3 hours ago, RedSpinnaker said:

Since you went with ForeFlight, don't forget to check out the ForeFlight Web Based flightplanning site

Hi Dan, yes that's usually where I start for planning.  It's funny, on the real world side I'm looking for good weather, on the simulated side I'm looking for bad weather.  But agree, can't say enough good things about ForeFlight.

Cheers, Rob.