Sign in to follow this  
Guest MattNW

holy addon $$ purchases!

Guest thedoggg

RE: holy addon $$ purchases! I was curious how much I've roughly spent on add-ons for FS2004. Here's the ugly tally: Aeroworx B200 King Air $29.95 Eaglesoft Cit II $19.99 Dream Fleet C177 $22.95 Dreamfleet C727 $34.95 DreamFleet A36 $26.95 FS Water $19.99 LDS 767 $40.00 Meridian $30.00 US Roads $30.00 Ultimate Terrain $34.95 BEV $48.00 RXP 430 $30.00 RXP 530 $30.00 FSD Seneca $25.00 PIC A320 $30.00 PSS A320 $23.00 PMDG 737/600/700/800/900 $70.00 Real Air Spit $32.99 Real Air Scout $30.00 Real Air Decathalon $30.00 Real Air SF260 $40.00 FS Genesis $40.00 FlyTampa San Diego $21.50 Emma Field $30.00 Active Sky $37.99 TOTAL $808.21 What a disgrace! I could have done a serious upgrade for that amount of money! Out of all of those I only use at most 2 or 3 of the planes - I won't say which ones for fear of a flame war. Per hours of usage, my best investments have been the mesh and landclass, and lately ActiveSky. Oh well, for FSX, I'll try to put a lid on the addon spending. Good luck, right? What with the PMDG enhancements on the way as well as lord knows what else... Sorry, had to vent ;-0At least you can remember all the add ons and what they cost. I have at least at that many and probably more but can't remember how much they cost.

Guest thedoggg

And I just bought a BFG Geforce 7900GTX 512mb Card 525$. That's more than a dollar per mb of video ram.

It wouldn't be a pity if you could actually use all of them. i have about 200$ total, i am calling it quits. i can't fly my money's worth as it is. in realistic terms, i can push around 50-60 hours a week (many spent when sleeping...) so split this between 2-3 planes and i still feel i am not using them enough. the rest is in activesky, flight env, ground env etc

Guest jboweruk

I can't fly all mine, I've got planes in my hangar hardly touched, so one way I get round this is during the Airshow season, some of these get dusted off and displayed in my own virtual airshows. 1/ It uses planes that otherwise would sit on my hdd taking up space2/ I get to let my hair down as it were against flying pax runs all the time. (Now I know why real airline pilots do airshows LOL)3/ It's fun to do, unless like last night when Chino, CA was clouded over and I kept losing site of the airfield. :(

After buying the Track IR, I had to have the Yoke and pedals; now I went out and bought the X-52 Controllers... And that doesn't count all of the add-ons I have bought! Its like going to the gas station, I just don't look at the reader board anymore, I just buy it.

It must be a conspiracy, yes thats what it is a conspiracy...hmmm wonder who is behind it...? maybe after May 19th (USA) we will find out :-)

CraigLook on the bright side.Cost of aircraft fuel $0Maintenance costs $0Airworthiness inspections $0Landing fees $0Upkeep of US road network $0Airport maintenanceand staff costs $0Bargain?And you have some great addons!My wife is not yet convinced by this argument but I keep trying!Mike

I would hate to count what I have spent. For that very reason I don't......

Previous to my move to Canada (CYOO), I was an add-on fiend. Somehow moving here has curtailed my spending quite a bit. May have something to do with the move making me a broke man. :(I know between the Yoke, Rudder pedals, aircraft, scenery, hardware just for FS I refuse to go back and look at what I spent. My outlook is much better now, I wait and see how certain titles perform by the response they get, keeping in mind the reduced time I have for FS these days, and then make a very educated decision on what I buy. I have saved millions!! :+[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="4" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, FX5900 128MB, XP SP2.[br /][br /]

Don't forget FS simming is a serious addiction ;-)I never look back after purchasing (don't really want to know because everything was worth buying it), and I don't even have a rough estimate how much I already spent.But I do know for sure there's no end in sight as long as my PC will run FS and there's enough money in my pocket...Compared to taking real flight lessons (I was surprised how MUCH it would cost me to get at least the CPL when I recently asked), the countless Euros are the cheaper alternative, so that's well invested money IMHO.Did I already mention FS simming is an addiction and I'm stuck on it?Andreas

I just justify my spending by comparing the dollar per "hour of enjoyment", so to speak. Think about it, I spent $40 on FS9 about 15 months ago and continue to get hours of enjoyment out of it today and beyond. I spend about $50 taking the better half out to dinner and a movie and the enjoyment is over in about 3 or 4 hours (OK, maybe a little longer if I'm reeaally nice ;-)) I use the same rationale with my add-ons. To this day I still have every one of them, so even if I don't use them all the time, I can still dust them off and get a little more bang for the buck.[p class=dcmessage] BradKELP/KBIF http://home.elp.rr.com/bmbanister/BannerSig_BMBanister.jpgAMD Athlon XP 2600, Asus A7V600, 1GB PC3200, NVidia GeForce 6800, SB Live

Guest lalo lolo1

Don't worry, I have spent more than that. Adding two new computers in two years I could have bought a used car with that money, lol.Leo

Well recently I sold many of my FS2002 and FS2004 addons on Ebay. I got rid of everything I had on CD - which was a lot - and made much more than I thought I would. In the future I intend to buy products on CD only, as far as I can - things like Active Camera and Active Sky will continue as downloads.(and I don't think I'll be able to wait for the PMDG A320 CD..)Then, when I get bored again I'll have another clearout, and make a bit of dosh. :) Ian

I to have fallen victim to many payware addons, and find that I'm only using a few of them. I have stopped purchasing addons, with the exception of one that I am waiting patiently for release. The Flight Scenery version of Portland Intl. That will be my official last payware. I can no longer justify my purchases when I don't have a lot of time to begin with to enjoy them. I really like addons, but there comes a point where I need to be realistic about my choices and what I do with my time. :)Besides with the great freeware out there, I am finding them to be just as enjoyable. :)Kevin