Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

Basic Dovetail Game Question (s)

I received a new PC for Christmas.  I've used MSFSX for a long time, but have had no luck activating it the new PC.  I've taken a look at the Dovetail web sites, but am a little confused over where to start.  What is the basic program you first download and where do you sign up for it?      I saw some World program and it appeared to be 64 bits.  Is that a whole new stand alone program or do you add it onto the basic FSX-Steam program?  Does that make everything 64 bit?  And most important, can you still add programs into Steam such as PMDG aircraft, etc.  Just any general info is appreciated.  Mike Nicholson

Flight Sim World is a totally new flight sim independent of FSX, though it's roots are in FSX. Dovetail bought the rights to FSX and that is where the FSX:SE version came from. Meanwhile, they have been working on a new flight sim, Flight Sim World, which is also available through steam.

FSX (original) and FSX:SE (Dovetail steam version) are 32bit programs and will remain so forever.

FSW is a 64 bit program available only on steam, though you can purchase an activation code for it on the Dovetail site too.

• Upvote 1

James

Hi Thunderbolt44,

welcome to Avsim!

You must first download, install and create an account on Steam (all free), which is a gaming platform, on which many other games and apps can be bought and run, including Dovetail Games FSW.

http://store.steampowered.com/

FSW is also hosted on Steam. You can buy FSW either directly on Steam (just search for it) or in the Dovetail store. In the latter case, which I went by last week, you buy a register code for the game which you manually activate on Steam. Be aware, that there are often sales, so best you compare if you can get FSW cheaper before buying.

https://store.dovetailgames.com/eu/de/product/442173/flight-sim-world

In either case, the FSW files will be automatically downloaded and installed in the main Steam folder (which you assigned on install). Downloadable content (DLC), i.e. addons like new planes, missions and scenery, can be bought the same way. Once set up, all is very easygoing and safe. When you screw up your files, they can be redownloaded time and again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

Paulopp,  In regards to your Add ons comment, A year or two ago I was on a six month trip and installed FSX Steam into my laptop.  I was able to download and install my flight plan, weather program, atc and several other programs.  Non of these were purchased thru Dovetail, but I was still able to install them.  Can you still do that or have they limited it to purchased Steam add ons?  Mike Nicholson  PS:  I did discover the FSX Insider has a great introduction to FSX Steam especially uninstalling FSX and installing Steam.

I'll have to look into World  too.  I sure like it being a 64 bit program.    Mike Nicholson

Much like P3D there are addons available on the web that will work with FSW.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Of course you can install any addon without Steam, I was merely talking of the payware addons.

Best regards,

Christian Kelter