Sign in to follow this  
zburns896

In Search of Something... Smaller

Hello, I've been Flying in sims for about a full year now and recently began flying on VATSIM. Now don't get me wrong, I like flying the biggest and baddest airliners there are into crowded airspaces but a big interest of mine is with smaller General Aviation aircraft. I have had the Carenado 350i and PC-12 and although modelling wise they are absolutely stunning, they lack they seem to lack in a few areas when it comes to IFR capabilities when it VATSIM. For example, I'm flying the 350i out of Seattle and I'm being vectored around and then the approach controller instructs me to go direct to a waypoint. I enter in the FMC to go direct but it takes me to an intercept point on the FMC path rather than direct to a waypoint. Small little things like that which i have found which makes flying Carenado aircraft on VS generally not enjoyable. Now after all that blabbering on I raise the question, does anyone know of any great looking aircraft (particularly single engine turbo props) that are IFR capable and would suit well for VATSIM flights? I'm sure this is just me being picky but any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Zach Burns

Hi Zack,

Think the PC12 which you already have is the most capable single engine turboprop we have - instead of the default Carenado navigation equipment - I run mine with the RXP GTN + RXP GNS + REX Wx Radar - real pilot wanting to fly real procedures and it works like a champ... Make sure you have Bert's v57 panel installed as well (tons of panel improvements) - PM Bert your email to obtain it... For full immersion you need ChasePlane as well for the camera motion effects...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Get something that can use the new Reality XP GTN GPS's.  They will do what you are looking to do without overruling you. SIDs, STARs, use airway references in routes and it will expand to include the interim fixes. You can select to hold at any waypoint and you can configure the holds.  The databases are relatively up to date as they are based on a very recent Garmin Trainer.  They even include the GPS guided vectored visual approaches that Garmin added last March. 

I have the RXP in a number of twin engine GA aircraft, including the Milviz B55 Baron and Cessna C310, the Real Air Turbine Duke v2, Carenado C340, C406, and Carenado B58 Baron.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

17 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Zack,

Think the PC12 which you already have is the most capable single engine turboprop we have - instead of the default Carenado navigation equipment - I run mine with the RXP GTN + RXP GNS + REX Wx Radar - real pilot wanting to fly real procedures and it works like a champ... Make sure you have Bert's v57 panel installed as well (tons of panel improvements) - PM Bert your email to obtain it... For full immersion you need ChasePlane as well for the camera motion effects...

Regards,

Scott

17 hours ago, fppilot said:

Get something that can use the new Reality XP GTN GPS's.  They will do what you are looking to do without overruling you. SIDs, STARs, use airway references in routes and it will expand to include the interim fixes. You can select to hold at any waypoint and you can configure the holds.  The databases are relatively up to date as they are based on a very recent Garmin Trainer.  They even include the GPS guided vectored visual approaches that Garmin added last March. 

I have the RXP in a number of twin engine GA aircraft, including the Milviz B55 Baron and Cessna C310, the Real Air Turbine Duke v2, Carenado C340, C406, and Carenado B58 Baron.

Ah yes, I was contemplating purchasing the RXP 530 a while ago but I haven't really looked into it much since, also the Flight 1 GTN 750/650 package, both of which come with a pretty heft price tag. I have been hesitant to fork out that much money for a GPS but as I increase my number of GA planes in my hangar I suppose they will be worth it since they are able to be used in just about all of them. Also I believe Bert also merged the Carenado TBM 850 with the GTN 750 so I think that would definitely worth checking out as while I enjoy the PC12 and think it is a fantastic looking plane, the TBM 850/900/930s are definitely my favorite Single engine TPs In real life, I am not sure how good Carenado's representation of it is. All in All, I'll have some saving up to do but I am sure it will be worth it if it means that I can fly GA on vatsim without problems. Thank you all for your recommendations! :biggrin:

Zach Burns

30 minutes ago, zburns896 said:

Ah yes, I was contemplating purchasing the RXP 530 a while ago but I haven't really looked into it much since, also the Flight 1 GTN 750/650 package, both of which come with a pretty heft price tag. I have been hesitant to fork out that much money for a GPS but as I increase my number of GA planes in my hangar I suppose they will be worth it since they are able to be used in just about all of them. Also I believe Bert also merged the Carenado TBM 850 with the GTN 750 so I think that would definitely worth checking out as while I enjoy the PC12 and think it is a fantastic looking plane, the TBM 850/900/930s are definitely my favorite Single engine TPs In real life, I am not sure how good Carenado's representation of it is. All in All, I'll have some saving up to do but I am sure it will be worth it if it means that I can fly GA on vatsim without problems. Thank you all for your recommendations! :biggrin:

Zach Burns

Do your due diligence if you shop for a GTN. There are two very good ones out there. One is based on a much newer Garmin Trainer with enhanced capabilities, and also has the capability to write flight plans to file in the sim format.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

33 minutes ago, zburns896 said:

Zach Burns

And avoid Carenado "Big Glass" panels...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7