Sign in to follow this  
gbaxter

Need MU-2 Guidance

My first-ever add-on to FSX, on which I have about 100 hours, with multi-engine and jet aircraft.

Downloaded MU-2 and it shows up in my list of aircraft. When I click FLY NOW, the MU-2 is on the airport I requested. And none of the buttons or functions I use with INCLUDED aircraft work with MU-2. The manual offers no advice of making stuff happen in FSX.

I have looked at all 4 videos, and there is nothing introducing how to use the mouse nor what views do what. In the first video, the point-of-view glides from entry door to then instrument panel - with zero explanation how to DO any of that.

Please can someone experienced with MU-2 in FSX explain how to START using and flying the add-on?

Greg B.

Hi, Greg.  Are you clicking on the buttons in the virtual cockpit or on your yoke/throttle arrangement or where?  The point-of-view moving from the entry door to the instrument panel would indicate to me the video author is using EZ-Dok or some such addon to produce his video.  It looks nice, but not necessary to actually start the engines and fly the bird.  I'm not entirely sure why your having the problems you describe.  I've got over 100 hours flying the MU-2 and no problems so far (knock on wood!).

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Hi StewartH,

I have no yoke/throttle.

I have no clue, once the Moo appears on the runway, what to do next. With other INCLUDED planes, clicking S eventually places me in pilot seat faced with instruments that work. That does not happen with Moo. What DOES work?

Clicking VIEWS opens unexplained windows. I see there is a thing called Virtual Cockpit, but have no explanation what it does or what mouse clicks do what.

Hi...

It sounds like you may have been flying 2D panels in FSX - almost all the addons produced today no longer provide you with 2D panels... The VC (Virtual Cockpit) is a 3D cockpit from where you fly - I would try selecting that from the view list and see if it puts you in the cockpit... No joystick or yoke - you're in for a tough time flying ANY third party aircraft in FSX... Almost all the buttons in a VC are operated via a left or right mouse click - or the scroll wheel... One you get there - just play around - but without a joystick - you have to use the num keypad to look around...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Scott,

I have not much used 3-d in other planes since I can see all of instruments and autopilot from 2D in every included plane, see externally using S and A, and can toggle GPS on/off. Using W, I can see straight ahead on final.

How do I advance engine power? Does FUNCTION 4 work? How do I rotate big wheels in autopilot? How do I set altitude hold in autopilot?

13 minutes ago, gbaxter said:

Scott,

I have not much used 3-d in other planes since I can see all of instruments and autopilot from 2D in every included plane, see externally using S and A, and can toggle GPS on/off. Using W, I can see straight ahead on final.

How do I advance engine power? Does FUNCTION 4 work? How do I rotate big wheels in autopilot? How do I set altitude hold in autopilot?

Hi Greg,

Yeah - that's the big difference with VC's - you have to look around the cockpit and mouse click at the same time on different things - I wouldn't want to try it without a joystick setup and I've been using flight sims for twenty something years...

I currently have a good joystick, throttle, and programmable keyboard to cover all the custom button presses and keystrokes - - - in addition to a TrackIR so I just turn my head to look around... I realize that not everyone has the budget for this - as it does get pricey...

The number keypad keys gives you a basic ability to look around in different directions - but it doesn't guarantee you'll be able to see everything you need... 

I would think the functions keys still work - if you can go into the "Controls" setup - you can see what keystrokes control what... Spend some time here and make yourself a cheat sheet of the commands you need... Due to the fact you only have a keyboard and mouse you may need to add extra key mappings to cover the essential functions...

That said - the autopilot is a custom autopilot so the conventional keys don't work and they assigned them to the G1000 keys (it's in the Flysimware manual) - which you would then need to assign keystrokes to get them to work...

It's a difficult road on which you now travel - which could possibly be alleviated by a relatively inexpensive joystick setup - might save you hours of aggravation...

We're here to help...

Regards,
Scott

“functions keys still work - if you can go into the "Controls" setup - you can see what keystrokes control what... Spend some time here”

Sorry, I don’t know that those phrases mean. What is “Controls setup” and how do I get to it once Moo appears on runway?

“extra key mappings to cover the essential functions”

What is a “key mapping” and where is its use described?

“they assigned them to the G1000 keys (it's in the Flysimware manual)”

I have the manual. What are G1000 keys, and how do I access them? HOW is not discussed in manual.

Greg B.

Hi Greg,

If you press the ALT key when you’re sitting on the runway - I believe it brings up a whole standard windows menu along the top of the screen - one of the options among the many - should be “Settings” and then “Control Assignments”... Something like that - I’m on my iPad at the moment - not in front of my PC...

Regards,

Scott

gbaxter,

Since apparently you are new to flying with a Virtual Cockpit (VC), I would suggest you work your way up to a complex a/c like the MU-2 by starting with the VC for a default a/c like the C172, or the Baron58 or King Air 350 which are twins like the MU-2. I would also suggest you look at tutorials on how to setup and use FSX with a VC. There are many FSX tutorials on YouTube.

Finally, I would VERY STRONGY suggest you invest in at least a simple USB joystick, something like the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which is about $35 brand new at Best Buy (and much less on eBay). The joystick will GREATLY simplify flying, especially an a/c like the MU-2. The MU-2 was not designed to be flown with just a keyboard.

Al

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Scott.  Thanks, Ark.

Yours is the kind of practical advice I hoped to find here. I will put MU-2 aside for a while and learn to use virtual cockpit on the planes I usually fly 2D.

I will also order a joystick. The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is top-rated and inexpensive on Amazon.

Greg B.

• Upvote 1

Good luck, Greg.

We'll be here when you've got the default VC flying figured out. It only gets better. 

1 hour ago, gbaxter said:

Thanks, Scott.  Thanks, Ark.

Yours is the kind of practical advice I hoped to find here. I will put MU-2 aside for a while and learn to use virtual cockpit on the planes I usually fly 2D.

I will also order a joystick. The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is top-rated and inexpensive on Amazon.

Greg B.

Greg,

Good decision, you will find the joystick will greatly increase your enjoyment of FSX. Besides controlling pitch and bank, you can also use it to control the rudder if you so choose, it has a lever that can be used to control the throttle, and lots of buttons that you can set up to control other functions and switches in the VC. BTW, you will also find the mouse is an important tool for flying with the VC.

As with everything, there is a learning curve, so watch some videos, do some reading, ask questions here, take your time, and enjoy the ride!

Best,

Al