Sign in to follow this  
wyman_hd

SODE Jetways not working

11 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

I go to the GSX menu and I click "Operate Jetway" at FSDT's KIAH (Houston).

But, it says, SODE uunavaliable, Jetways will not animate.

I click Test DLL connection and:

SODE JETWAY CONTROL SYSTEM is up and running (N=0)!

I'm running SODE 1.5.3 and Virtuali says to update SODE.

But this is the newest version of SODE and i'm running the newest version of GSX.

When I go to the SODE menu it says:

No triggerable objects found in 6.5 nm / 12km...

I see this at EVERY airport.

So, whats the prob?

The only time I had a problem  with SODE jetways was bevause of simconnect.

make sure to install all versions found  in ..\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface except the -JPN and -RUS one and it should work fine.

I’m running the newest version of GSX, SODE, and KIAH.

The only thing is that I’m running P3D v3.1.

After having various issues with stuttering and even short pauses in close proximity to airports making use of SODE I decided to get rid of it.

After this, my simulator is more stable than it was in a very long time with zero issues. So, won't go back nor support developers making use of SODE going forward.

Richard Åsberg

12 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

After having various issues with stuttering and even short pauses in close proximity to airports making use of SODE I decided to get rid of it.

After this, my simulator is more stable than it was in a very long time with zero issues. So, won't go back nor support developers making use of SODE going forward.

SODE, by itself, doesn't obviously have anything to do with this, at least when it's used only for jetways.

When ANY Simobjects, using ANY method, are being loaded, they are loaded instantly and do not use the normal scenery loading method, which loads scenery either during the initial scenery progress bar, or in the background (for terrain and textures), using a background thread that runs using other cores, which explains why core usage gets much higher when new terrain is loading.

Simobjects, instead, can stall the sim, if they are large enough. This of course means every kind of Simobject, from AI planes, to other objects used as part of a scenery, or anywhere there's a demand for something that is not static, like things that are not supposed to be always there, or move, or change, or animate, or play sounds. *EVERYTHING* which is not plain static scenery IS a Simobject and, whenever is being loaded, it will cause some kind of micropause, or not-so-less micro, depending how big it is, and how large are its textures.

It's just the way the sim works, since those objects are created using Simconnect, and it's exactly the same regardless which program is creating them.

That's why it's wrong to complain about SODE, because it would be the same with any other method, and if you are refusing the very idea of smart objects created on demand by an application, you are going to be stuck forever with dumb and static scenery, not something that is supposed to be part of a *simulation*. So, back to static jetways, static docking system, no ground traffic, no AI traffic, no animated people, nothing. Sure, you sim WILL be smooth, but it won't be a "sim" anymore, just a static 3d picture...

The right thing to do, instead of complaining about SODE or, even worse, boycotting developers that use it, would be instead trying to ask LM to find a way to load Simobjects in multithreading, without stalling the sim.

And, in order to do so, you should do exactly the opposite: SUPPORT the developers that use the sim capabilities to the fullest extent (and Simobjects are a big part of it), and, as an user of the sim, demand that LM would put more effort on improving it. Because, if you did the wrong thing, developers will just stop using them, and there won't be much incentives for LM to improve something that nobody use.

• Upvote 6

On 2/13/2018 at 9:24 AM, 238932 said:

The only time I had a problem  with SODE jetways was bevause of simconnect.

make sure to install all versions found  in ..\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface except the -JPN and -RUS one and it should work fine.

I did it, but still the same. SODE jetways will not work.

On 2018-02-15 at 2:56 PM, virtuali said:

SODE, by itself, doesn't obviously have anything to do with this, at least when it's used only for jetways.

When ANY Simobjects, using ANY method, are being loaded, they are loaded instantly and do not use the normal scenery loading method, which loads scenery either during the initial scenery progress bar, or in the background (for terrain and textures), using a background thread that runs using other cores, which explains why core usage gets much higher when new terrain is loading.

Simobjects, instead, can stall the sim, if they are large enough. This of course means every kind of Simobject, from AI planes, to other objects used as part of a scenery, or anywhere there's a demand for something that is not static, like things that are not supposed to be always there, or move, or change, or animate, or play sounds. *EVERYTHING* which is not plain static scenery IS a Simobject and, whenever is being loaded, it will cause some kind of micropause, or not-so-less micro, depending how big it is, and how large are its textures.

It's just the way the sim works, since those objects are created using Simconnect, and it's exactly the same regardless which program is creating them.

That's why it's wrong to complain about SODE, because it would be the same with any other method, and if you are refusing the very idea of smart objects created on demand by an application, you are going to be stuck forever with dumb and static scenery, not something that is supposed to be part of a *simulation*. So, back to static jetways, static docking system, no ground traffic, no AI traffic, no animated people, nothing. Sure, you sim WILL be smooth, but it won't be a "sim" anymore, just a static 3d picture...

The right thing to do, instead of complaining about SODE or, even worse, boycotting developers that use it, would be instead trying to ask LM to find a way to load Simobjects in multithreading, without stalling the sim.

And, in order to do so, you should do exactly the opposite: SUPPORT the developers that use the sim capabilities to the fullest extent (and Simobjects are a big part of it), and, as an user of the sim, demand that LM would put more effort on improving it. Because, if you did the wrong thing, developers will just stop using them, and there won't be much incentives for LM to improve something that nobody use.

I didn't complain, I simply stated the fact that since I stopped using SODE my simulator offers a smoother and more enjoyable experience and more time enjoying my hobby.

As for static scenery I do have road traffic enabled and I do all my flying online on Vatsim with sometimes lots of traffic around me with no stuttering issues. Yesterday, I flew out of FlyTampa Amsterdam which is a very complex scenery during an event where the number of other aircraft around me were big enough to make the list of traffic not fit my screen without scrolling and yet it was all smooth although my FPS went down to mid 20.

So again, I'm more than happy since my decision to abandon SODE giving me more time to enjoy what I actually like...to fly. For those who rather play around with opening and closing a set of hangar doors or any other objects controlled by SODE, each to their own.

Richard Åsberg

New version released 1.6.1

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

If you people out there are wondering what the solution is, I had to update GSX as GSX under version 2 doesn't run with SODE 1.5+

There is a logarithmic function correlating the number of 3rd party add-ons and the time spent researching and "fiddling" with the simulator.  In 2017 I vowed to keep the 2018 sim down to bare basics, PDMG, ORBX, REX, and Active Sky.   And since then the fiddling, oddities, and Internet research and heartache have gone way down and the number of hours actually flying with acceptable framerates has gone up.

Mark

Also be on alert that sometimes when updating to a new version of SODE i have had all the simobjects removed in the c:/programdata/12pilot/SODE folder and therefor had to reinstall all scenerys that uses this method with SODE.

So take a backup just incase of that folder (and proberly also the .sdx folder used by some DD scenerys.

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png