Sign in to follow this  
srmj71

traffic patterns at airports with intersecting runways

At airports with intersecting runways, I'm guessing here, but I think only one runway would be in use at a time, based on wind direction. I'm talking smaller airports, not airports the size of LAX. I was given the instruction to "enter left downwind traffic" or something to that affect.

I believe that means all of my turns are to be to the left, and to enter the pattern on the downwind side of the pattern.

I got hung up on the fact this airport has intersecting runways. When picturing the rectangular traffic pattern around the runway I'm to be landing on, in order to make the proper entry, I should, more or less ignore the other intersecting runway. When I say ignore, I don't mean not watch it at all, it just shouldn't be considered when figuring out the pattern. If that other runway were being used, ATC would be managing things. This is at towered airports. Am I on the right path here?

Regards,

Steven

2 hours ago, srmj71 said:

This is at towered airports.

As an example when approaching an airport to land, the Tower would say "N123 report entering Left Downwind for Runway 18".

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

When landing at an uncontrolled airport note the wind direction on the wind sock or tetrahedron and enter right or left downwind depending on which direction you are coming from.  Announce entering right or left downwind for appropriate runway.  Announce turning right or left  base for appropriate runway.  Announce turning final for runway NN.  Then other aircraft in the area know where you are and what you are doing.

Noel 

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Yes, they did give me a runway as well, my bad for neglecting to mention that. Thanks to all who have answered, let me ask just a couple more..

At airports with intersecting runways, typically speaking, and bearing in mind I'm talking about smaller, regional airports, you wouldn't have both runways receiving at the same time, would you? Typically speaking.

Would the current active runway would be the only runway with a 'traffic pattern' at that time?

Are there patterns other than the standard rectangular pattern?

Again, thank you!

srmJ71, 

If it is a towered airport they might bring you in on a left or right pattern or even straight in.   You won't necessarily fly the full rectangle. They might instruct you to enter from downwind, base or straight in but the tower always tells you what they want you to do. 

They usually use one runway at a time but could switch from one to the other depending on type of aircraft or the direction you were coming from.  Lets say they are using a smaller runway more angled to the wind but a larger aircraft is taking off or landing.  They might switch to another runway for that aircraft and then back to the other smaller for others.  They obviously wouldn't be landing and departing on both runways at the same time or they would have collisions.  

• Upvote 1

At KCDW, it is very common to have both 22 and 28 in use at the same time with 5-7 aircraft in the pattern or approaching to land with several more in the airspace either transitioning or departing.

The instructions usually are to follow the aircraft ahead, and the routing is typically to fly to a point that enters the pattern at midfield downwind for the runway you are given. Exceptions are when you are better positioned to enter on base or straight in for a runway. They may also ask to extend downwind or make a 360 to fit in some other traffic ahead of you depending on their speed and position.

It is very common to have aircraft climbing out from 28 underneath you as you fly downwind on 22. You sometimes came face to face with traffic outbound from 28 as you on the 45 for 22.

It is the pilot's responsibility to see and avoid the other traffic. Tower does not provide separation service for VFR traffic. They are concerned with the runway and maintaining the orderly flow of traffic. They do provide advisories, but that depends on their workload. When is very busy, all you may get is a caution for many VFR targets in your vicinity.

It is a team effort and the pilots need to make sure they maintain separation and position and make timely reports to help the tower crew do their job.