Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Considering buying MCE...

Hi, I have the FSLabs A320 with P3D v4.2 and I am considering purchasing MCE. Since I use FS2Crew with other airplanes and it is completely integrated through the SDK, can I expect more or less the same from MCE or are there drawbacks that could make me disappointed?  

Thank you.

James Goggi

On 3/2/2018 at 6:41 AM, jgoggi said:

Hi, I have the FSLabs A320 with P3D v4.2 and I am considering purchasing MCE. Since I use FS2Crew with other airplanes and it is completely integrated through the SDK, can I expect more or less the same from MCE or are there drawbacks that could make me disappointed?  

Thank you.

I don't fly the FSLabs Airbus, so I am not qualified to comment on the capability of MCE with the P3d FSL Bus.

Correct me if I am wrong, but FS2Crew doesn't sell a product for the FSL Bus. Since FSL have not released an SDK for it, I doubt you'll see a Fs2Crew version? 

Regarding the possibility of being disappointed with MCE....Unlikely, to say the least! The dev should really be working in the space race industry, for Mr Musk and making a few more quid than this niche market!!:cool:

All MCE aircraft are included in the purchase price, this includes any new simulations that are released. As older supported aircraft move into P3d, MCE will do updates that are released without cost to us! 

If you peruse this forum several guys have the FSL Bus and have knowledge if what works. Since LM Prepared uses different window technology to FSX, certain difficulties are encountered with "flat" panel switches in the FSL Bus and the Mjc Dash 8 (which I do fly in the sim). When flying the Dash 8, I really don't miss the flat panel switches, the PF can easily reach them from his side anyway and it may be considered a little lazy to ask the FO to press them from his side. Everything else works in the Dash 8.

If you get MCE and want to ask the dev then he is an e-mail away. If a switch is "doable" MCE will "do"it. I assisted in the beta testing of MCE with the CRJ. Every switch in that simulation works and I mean every one!:cool:

Disappointed.....nahhh!:biggrin:

I first hesitated to chime in.

Seeing that you are now a registered user, I guess you already know where things stand.:tongue:

It's a myth that you need an SDK to interface very complex aircraft. It actually hurts performance a bit.

When there is one like for PMDG 737, B777, B747 QOTS, we use it as PMDG gives you source code to copy and paste and all you have to do is plug your audio.

Those are the easiest to handle. Roughly one month full time work.

When there is no SDK provided by aircraft manufacturer, well, there is the FSX SDK or Prepar3D SDK which every Fs Dev should bother to learn.:smile:

The above can be used to interface 80% of the stuff in FSLabs and many other aircraft.

That's why today, we can interface pretty much any aircraft, and we don't make a meal of it either, since the 3 (sometimes 4 with those that have a flight engineer L1011) months i takes to interface one without SDK is nothing compared to the 11+ years MCE has been refined over.

Sometimes you have to go the extra mile and learn advanced Windows programming so that you can read the odd info that isn't available via the SDK.

For instance reading FCU for FsLabs isn't a trivial thing at all nor do aircraft makers tell you how to simulate clicks in VC to handle ECL (PMDG 777 SDK doesn't provide it). But these are exceptions, not show stoppers.

We currently support 41 complex aircraft in excruciating detail. Support for QW787 (no SDK) is works in progress and will be in Beta next week.

Edited by FS++
Not sure why post shows up as hidden

I purchased MCE yesterday but have yet to instal it. At 73, I expect it will be rather a long journey for me, but I’m willing to give it a go. Here’s hoping - I see the dev goes out of his way to try and help- a big plus. Regards.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

15 hours ago, Paladin said:

I purchased MCE yesterday but have yet to instal it. At 73, I expect it will be rather a long journey for me, but I’m willing to give it a go. Here’s hoping - I see the dev goes out of his way to try and help- a big plus. Regards.

We are in our prime over 65! With age comes wisdom!:biggrin:

MCE flyers are are discerning crew and if something requires fixing someone will know the solution. There is no better support for our niche hobby. :cool:

6 hours ago, charlie130 said:

We are in our prime over 65! With age comes wisdom!:biggrin:

MCE flyers are are discerning crew and if something requires fixing someone will know the solution. There is no better support for our niche hobby. :cool:

Dave, thanks for your input kind sir.  I have found forgetfulness is often greater than [my]  wisdom  :) .  Cheers 'n' beers.

Edited by Paladin
  • Upvote 1

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

Hi James,

I am flying the FSLBus/MCE extensively. Overall I love it. But I have to say that some things do not work as expected.

At least in my setup

No handling of Heading and V/S

If GPWS test is part of a flow it runs endless in a loop

There are a couple of minor issues (switching on fuel pumps sometimes works 100% sometimes not).

A bigger problem is, that MCE stops to work after 20-30 minutes or so and I have to restart.

Flat switches are handled with 2-d panels, so turned them to 100% transparency, as someone recommended here.

With the flexibility of MCE you can rebuild nearly every airline SOP as far as the communication on the flightdeck is concerned.

I would not fly the BUS without MCE anymore. The same holds true for the Aerosoft CRJ.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

I have NEVER had a program that was more difficult to install with this License key business.  Support says to put license key in %@#^$ but I can never find that location.  Based on the difficulty of installation I would not recommend this product at this time. I've been trying to activate it for hours over the last two weeks to no avail.

Edited by Phillip Gallagher

34 minutes ago, Phillip Gallagher said:

I have NEVER had a program that was more difficult to install with this License key business.  Support says to put license key in %@#^$ but I can never find that location.  Based on the difficulty of installation I would not recommend this product at this time. I've been trying to activate it for hours over the last two weeks to no avail.

I tried the free trail and found it rather cumbersome and awkward if not very disappointing. Fs2Crew seemed much slicker, easier and far more user friendly.  Deleted and was never happier.