Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

Decision to make on 777

My only jet is the NGX 737 ,if I decide to get the 777 how real is this for me - I’m not into long hauls ,1 to 2 hours max for a flight and that’s it for me .Also I like going into to strips about 7 to 8 thousand feet long and smaller airports like Fort Mac Murray - Yellowknife ,places like that and not demanding as much on frames compared to places like Friso and L.A. . Also I run about 8 or so Go-Flight modules that are set up with Polly pots Interface module so then  I would be able to add this bird to it to be able to use the buttons and switches.So my question is with what i just told you, is this reality to fly this 777 or is it made for long hauls and wouldn’t be all that realistic ?

How real it is to you? Only you can answer that. I think the 777 is mainly used by long hauls in the real world. The nice thing about flight sim, is you don't have to follow real world. I love the 777, but, like you, I only have time to fly 1 to 2 hours, I fly the 777 all the time doing short hauls. The nice thing about PMDG 777, is they have a intelligent time acceleration. When in cruise, you can use 4x time, and make a 6-8 hour flight to a reasonable 2-3 hours. 

Short flights with the 777 are out there. I once flew in the real world,  from Montreal to Toronto in a 777-300 ( a 1 hour flight), when my original flight was cancelled due to an aircraft issue, and everyone from that flight was put on the next flight. Both flights were originally an A320. I was very excited when it was changed to 777-300. 

Edited by rickjake

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I've noticed a few shorter routes by 777's, if you want to fly only real-world routings.  In Japan, I think they fly some shorter routes using 777's, for example.

How you want to fly is up to you.  Personally, I fly lots of shorter routes with the 777.  I do this so that I can practice takeoffs, landings, and the overall workflow on the flight.  I get more reps in that way, so-to-speak.   Eventually, I will stretch it out and do some longer flights...I have a pole-to-pole round-the-world planned, KBOS to SAWH, SAWH to Perth, Perth to Harbin, China, and Harbin back to BOS.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think you might find that the long haul segment opens a new world of flight planning that you haven't had to discover for your commuter routes.  Take for example the UAL 300 B77L flight KSFO to PHNL.  In my opinion flying to the islands is fun, and this is going to require an introduction to EROPS (ETOPS) planning so learn to set up your ETOPS-180 alternates (KMRY and PHTO work best) and figure out how to include the ETP on your ND display.  The 5+40 trip can be done easily in 3 hr using time compression.  The FSDT PHNL is dated but still looks good, and Flightbeam KSFO is stunningly beautiful.  Obtain the current flight plan from FlightAware here: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL300/history/20180306/2215Z/KSFO/PHNL

I prefer a mixed diet of flying, today I did a B744F PANC-KORD GTI trip and the day before it was a B736 BBJ from home base KCRP to KPSP Palm Springs.  Taking the DC-6 up to a ski resort like KEGE always leaves me happy.  Once in awhile I want a long long trip, did a B77L FEDEX trip once from KMEM Memphis to VTBS Bangkok without the stop at PANC they always make... LOL I could only carry a few pounds of cargo but those tanks held enough fuel to make it up over the pole at 80N and down over Siberia, China and into Thailand.  Quite the trip.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, Louis8 said:

My only jet is the NGX 737 ,if I decide to get the 777 how real is this for me - I’m not into long hauls ,1 to 2 hours max for a flight and that’s it for me .Also I like going into to strips about 7 to 8 thousand feet long and smaller airports like Fort Mac Murray - Yellowknife ,places like that and not demanding as much on frames compared to places like Friso and L.A. . Also I run about 8 or so Go-Flight modules that are set up with Polly pots Interface module so then  I would be able to add this bird to it to be able to use the buttons and switches.So my question is with what i just told you, is this reality to fly this 777 or is it made for long hauls and wouldn’t be all that realistic ?

Hi Louis,

There is a thread somewhere on this forum of real world short haul flights using the 777.  Two that come to mind: CYYZ-CYVR on the way to Australia, and KATL-KLAX also on the way to Australia.

In addition to auto time-compression there is also auto step-climb and auto pause at TOD.  So you can do as little or as much as you want. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I wasn’t  aware of the built in time acceleration ,and flight aware Dan I use almost daily and really like it .Ha and no one said anything about slamming this beast in a 7,500 foot runway so I must be good to go .Ill check out the short routes ,I’m sure I’ll use some—-  thanks guys Louis 

22 hours ago, downscc said:

Once in awhile I want a long long trip, did a B77L FEDEX trip once from KMEM Memphis to VTBS Bangkok without the stop at PANC they always make

Last weekend I did the nonstop westbound kangaroo route YSSY-EGLL, just to see how long her legs really are. I was able to carry 210 pax and baggage, flight time about 21 hours.

Umm might have to reconsider this bird. I have the beta Interface tool for the NGX but now i have to buy it to also put in the 777 the Interface tool and the 777 is 166 bucks Canadian so i got some serious thinking to do 

It's a really good tool Kyle , if you were to go to the conference in Vegas, Go-flight will be there and you'd really see how it works . This outfit from the UK called Pollypot made this Interface Tool that goes hand in hand with all the Go-flight modules. They told me to try the Beta and was only good with the NGX 737 but now they perfected it and  let it go as payware and you can program almost any plane through it . Have a look at this video to get a glimpse. I hardly use the mouse for nothing and it's really cool flying the 737 NGX 

OMG I closed that as soon as I noticed it was 46 min.... there is nothing so valuable that I'm going to spend 46 min watching a video.  You could spend two minutes typing a description of the product, what it does, why you like it... please.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

53 minutes ago, downscc said:

OMG I closed that as soon as I noticed it was 46 min.... there is nothing so valuable that I'm going to spend 46 min watching a video.  You could spend two minutes typing a description of the product, what it does, why you like it... please.

He kind of explains it above the video, actually. The video thumb shows some of it, too. Looks like a hardware interface tool.

Kyle Rodgers

The GoFlight Interface Tool is a hardware interface tool and it has been around for more than 5 years. Originally it was developed to provide an interface between the PMDG 737 and GoFlight hardware modules. Initially freeware then donationware, it is now payware.
It is found at PollyPotSoftware  https://www.pollypotsoftware.org.uk/

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Exactly Claude , And i have the free one and if i buy the 777 Steve at PollyPot  told me it won't work its just for the 737 ngx so i'll have to buy it . The free one, the instructions were not near as good as they have now so i paid Steve to come in my rig with Team view to set it up .You get kinda spoilt not using the mouse all that much with the Interface,  so i'm not sure what to do cause it's pretty serious cash to fly one aircraft and might stay just with the NGX .

I just had this topic of discussion with a friend who has most of what can be described as a home built B744 cockpit... not much good when flying the 777 or 737 and less so with the DC6 or JS41.  i suspect the decision process involved in how much money should be spent locking one self into a specific airframe must be difficult. 

Dan Downs KCRP