Sign in to follow this  
rennman

No flare with auto land

21 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

One drive through OKC

What's wrong with OKC?

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

3 hours ago, rennman said:

.im looking for -250 fpm or less for a "kiss" touchdown...

There are so many thing wrong with this that I don't know where to begin.  The 'kiss' touchdown is not in any way a measure of a good landing.  A really good landing is one that is firm and with mimimum flare in the case of the 777.  Review the FCTM, too much flare leaves the nose up the air longer than desirable.  Watching the VSI during landings is a simulationism... no pilot is going to be worried about VSI... watch the far end of the runway to gauge your final few feet of descent.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, Bluestar said:

What's wrong with OKC?

I was at Tinker AFB OKC for four years and like the other twenty odd places I lived in the military it had its pluses and minuses.  You have to take the comments of an East Coast kid with a grain of salt...probably missed all the commute traffic and congestion. I worked at Tinker and lived in Norman, which as home to OU was like an oasis in the desert complete with fine food and plenty to do.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

The 'kiss' touchdown is not in any way a measure of a good landing

-500 fpm touchdown FSpassengers "yells" at me...i like to simulate a milky smooth touchdown to keep the passengers happy. (i only check the vsi rate after i land in replay to see how i did)

Edited by rennman

6 hours ago, rennman said:

-500 fpm touchdown FSpassengers "yells" at me...i like to simulate a milky smooth touchdown to keep the passengers happy. (i only check the vsi rate after i land in replay to see how i did)

Fspassengers uses an arbitrary set of parameters to determine what passengers like and don’t like. If Fspassengers complains it doesn't necessarily mean the simulation is wrong. A very light touchdown is not the aim, especially on a wet runway or in a crosswind. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

i wonder what real world companies advise about passenger comfort...please also consider that my other Boeings touchdown around -100 fpm with auto land.

54 minutes ago, rennman said:

i wonder what real world companies advise about passenger comfort...please also consider that my other Boeings touchdown around -100 fpm with auto land.

-500fpm in an A320 or a 737 feels harder than in a big airplane like a 777 or 747. 

As much as I liked FSP simulating a hangar of airplanes and earning money for my company I have ditched it because of its strange way of rating my flights... C172, penalties because I didn't use any flaps.. because I switch off the landing lights below 10000ft...

But back to the vertical speed on touchdown: 100, 200, 300.. you won't hurt your back even with 700fpm. It may be a hard landing but it's still better to impact than to skid off or overshoot the RW. A good landing rate is when you sit down firmly and savely... you hold a Cessna 172 a foot over the runway until it stalls and sits down but you don't do that with an airliner. they will float forever.. and too soft "kisses" exessively wear the tires and there are even aircraft out there that don't recognize such a soft landing and the pilots might have to rise the spoilers manually... 

around -100 fpm with auto land.

lol yep, I've heard that the 777's autoland will make every pilot look like an i.diot

Edited by Ephedrin

1 hour ago, rennman said:

They dont....

Airlines expect their pilots to do what's safest in any given situation. Which in a lot of cases....puts passenger comfort well behind many other more pertinent concerns.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

ok lets wrap this up!...Does the T7 by design have a harder touchdown rate with autoland than all other aircraft?

this is my observation in the simulator.

13 hours ago, downscc said:

I was at Tinker AFB OKC for four years

We would go to OKC to do our chamber rides. 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

41 minutes ago, downscc said:

Nope

so why does the pmdg 747, ifly 737, and aerosoft airbus all contact at -100/-200 fpm...are they off?

You keep trying to relate rate of descent at touchdown with a merit of quality.  It's not there.  Go someplace else if you want to establish rules for a game, most of us here are more interested in  realism over the arcade experience.

Dan Downs KCRP

11 minutes ago, downscc said:

most of us here are more interested in  realism over the arcade experience.

This just in from a real word Delta 777 pilot..

"In other words, if a 777 autolanded at max landing weight at 500fpm, it would likely be considered a hard landing and require an inspection."

You'll forgive me if I favor his report...

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta/112437-777-touchdown-vs.html#post2557886