Sign in to follow this  
rennman

No flare with auto land

Hi...I have vor/loc and app engaged...she flies the ILS approach the whole way perfectly, but does not flare...What am I missing?

Edited by rennman

1 hour ago, rennman said:

I have vor/loc and app engaged

This isn't necessary, like most simmers claim: if you don't need to use LOC for some reason (the controller is asking you to intercept the LOC, but you are not yet cleared for the approach), then go directly to APP. This could actually be the cause of your issue.

1 hour ago, rennman said:

she flies the ILS approach the whole way perfectly, but does not flare...What am I missing?

Might be your timing. See above. To be clear, you're actually flying an ILS and not some other kind of approach, yes?

Kyle Rodgers

Was "Land 3" showing at the top of your PFD? If not then you most likely were flying the Ils in a degraded mode which means the aircraft will not automatically flare.

You may have had a random failure active which caused this on approach.

Were you on a precision Ils approach or a non precision Localizer approach? If I recall correctly a localizer app will not give you full autoland functionality. You should have "LOC" and " GS" showing at the top of your pfd if the aircraft is tracking the signals.

Regards!

The FMA should indicate flare in small white letters before landing, meaning that the flare mode is armed and ready.  Also, the flare in the 777 is much less of an event than in some other aircraft.  May I also advise that you fly the tutorial if not already and not rely on autoland (it is rarely used real world).

Dan Downs KCRP

Did you set the radio barometer to 50?   

I am an admitted amateur 777 pilot, but on my SUCCESSFUL autolands, I've always set that to 50, just like we did in the tutorial.  I still have to read up on the function of it.

I suppose it's possible that without the radio baro set to 50, the aircraft won't know when to flare.  Just a guess...

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

Did you set the radio barometer to 50?   

This has nothing to do with anything related to autoland, for what it's worth. All it does is set the callout.

Radio altimiter, by the way.

Radio and barometer are two separate concepts related to determining altitude. Using both together would be like saying "wet dry."

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

This has nothing to do with anything related to autoland, for what it's worth. All it does is set the callout.

Radio altimiter, by the way.

Radio and barometer are two separate concepts related to determining altitude. Using both together would be like saying "wet dry."

Yes, altimeter.  Sorry.  Long day at work, brain fried.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

14 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

This isn't necessary, like most simmers claim: if you don't need to use LOC for some reason (the controller is asking you to intercept the LOC, but you are not yet cleared for the approach), then go directly to APP. This could actually be the cause of your issue.

Might be your timing. See above. To be clear, you're actually flying an ILS and not some other kind of approach, yes?

Does your first part of advice only count for the 777?

As in, in the 737 you still (sometimes depending on config) do have to press loc first?

Victor Roos

Even if G/S capture is inhibited until LOC is captured, you can still press APP without first pressing LOC.

ki9cAAb.jpg

3 hours ago, Victoroos said:

Does your first part of advice only count for the 777?

As in, in the 737 you still (sometimes depending on config) do have to press loc first?

No. In any case, you should use APP unless you have a specific reason to use LOC. This whole LOC-before-APP simmism needs to die a quick but painful death...

Do note that the post you quoted makes no reference to a specific aircraft, and only makes exception for a very specific case, using language related to case, not aircraft, nor anything else.

The specific case is as follows:
"Southwest 422, fly heading 360 to join the runway 33L localizer, maintain 4000." <HDG SEL: 360; LOC press; 4000 dialed in>
[Readback]
"Southwest 422, 3 miles from JANNS, maintain 4000 to JANNS, cleared ILS Runway 33L approach." <APP press>

The above is rarer and usually found in places where the minimum vectoring altitude is above the approach altitudes, such as in the case of ROA.

The usual case is the following:
"Lufthansa 418 heavy, 5 miles east of MOSBY, turn right heading 340, maintain 3000, cleared ILS Runway 1L approach." <HDG SEL: 340; APP press, yes, right to APP; 3000 dialed in>

Edited by scandinavian13
  • Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

This whole LOC-before-APP simmism needs to die a quick but painful death...

Like it - but I wonder if it would be more correct to express it as a 'simisissm'?

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

he usual case is the following:
"Lufthansa 418 heavy, 5 miles east of MOSBY, turn right heading 340, maintain 3000, cleared ILS Runway 1L approach."

Interesting, I'm used to hearing "until established" as in,  "turn right heading 340, maintain 3000 until established, cleared ILS Runway 1L approach."  I haven't looked at a 7110.8 in decades.  The established tells me to maintain altitude until I'm on the localizer, right?

Dan Downs KCRP

23 minutes ago, downscc said:

Interesting, I'm used to hearing "until established" as in,  "turn right heading 340, maintain 3000 until established, cleared ILS Runway 1L approach."  I haven't looked at a 7110.8 in decades.  The established tells me to maintain altitude until I'm on the localizer, right?

That's probably what it is, to the letter. Either way, that really isn't relevant to the point of the discussion:

Rare: TPAC: LOC -> APP
Common: PTAC: APP, and only app.

Kyle Rodgers

1)

On 3/20/2018 at 11:05 AM, rennman said:

Hi...I have vor/loc and app engaged...she flies the ILS approach the whole way perfectly, but does not flare...What am I missing?

Hi Rennman,

What was your approach speed?  Is it possible the aircraft was very heavy and you were going too fast and therefore descending too fast for the aircraft to do a proper flare?

2)

6 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

The specific case is as follows:
"Southwest 422, fly heading 360 to join the runway 33L localizer, maintain 4000." <HDG SEL: 360; LOC press; 4000 dialed in>
[Readback]
"Southwest 422, 3 miles from JANNS, maintain 4000 to JANNS, cleared ILS Runway 33L approach." <APP press>

The above is rarer and usually found in places where the minimum vectoring altitude is above the approach altitudes, such as in the case of ROA.

Hi Kyle,

I'm surprised that the pilot replies "cleared for ... approach" when the controller did not clear him/her. 

3)

A separate point about approaches: I prefer not to select APP (or LOC as the case may be) until I am very near intercepting the localizer path.  Sometimes when APP or LOC are armed before that point the aircraft will switch to LOC (GS still armed if APP was armed), turn sooner than I would like, and actually take longer to line up right on the localizer path than if I waited.  If in LNAV I will be ready to switch to Heading Select in the situation where LNAV causes the aircraft to turn parallel to the localizer path without intercepting.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

2 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

I'm surprised that the pilot replies "cleared for ... approach" when the controller did not clear him/her. 

You've misread it. None of that is spoken by the pilot. The pilot response is simply summarized by [readback] (note the lack of colon as a reference that the following lines were the readback). So...what you've mistaken for a "reply" is the clearance from the controller. Odd mistake given the obvious clearance format...

4 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

A separate point about approaches: I prefer not to select APP (or LOC as the case may be) until I am very near intercepting the localizer path.  Sometimes when APP or LOC are armed before that point the aircraft will switch to LOC (GS still armed if APP was armed), turn sooner than I would like, and actually take longer to line up right on the localizer path than if I waited.  If in LNAV I will be ready to switch to Heading Select in the situation where LNAV causes the aircraft to turn parallel to the localizer path without intercepting.

All up to you, honestly. This is a separate issue, however. You're referring to when to hit either. This thread is related to selecting LOC before APP.

...it's a bit like discussing red wine and white wine and diverting the discussion into when, exactly, one should open a red in order to let it properly breathe. We're still on red v white.

Kyle Rodgers