WilloW_737

ULT add-on.xml error (P3DV4)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello

I have installed UTL and am using P3DV4.

After installing and configuring UTL, I ran the Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer to check my file structure. (http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html)

The software displayed an error with the UTL P3D add-on.xml file

Does anyone know what the issue may be ?

I tried to upload an attachment of the screen grab, but it seems this is not possible.  Here is a copy in my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8elwqbojh2d0d6s/UTL addon error P3DV4.PNG?dl=0

Thanks,   WilloW

 

 

Edited by WilloW_737

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Looks like an encoding problem inside the .XML, download Notepad++, open the UTL .XML document with Notepad++ and save it again to see if it repairs the problem.

Regards,
S.

Share this post


Link to post

I am me too in the same condition and even saving with notepad++,  P3d v4 is always asking me to trust UTL.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, simbio said:

I am me too in the same condition and even saving with notepad++,  P3d v4 is always asking me to trust UTL.

Fabrizio,

Have you tried re-installing UTL?

S.

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same "problem". For some reason Lorbys add-on organizer does not recognize the UTL add-on.xml correctly, though I'm sure the add-on.xml set-up and encoding is correct. Anyway, it does not matter since everything works perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, simbio said:

I am me too in the same condition and even saving with notepad++,  P3d v4 is always asking me to trust UTL.

This happens to me onyl after I've changed something in the add-on scenery using Lorbys organizer.  

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, simbol said:

Fabrizio,

Have you tried re-installing UTL?

S.

yes, I did after the beta phase with the RC,. but no lately little bit lazy.

I will try once I download the installer again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hello @ll,

there are a couple of issues with the UTL add-on.xml, but the incorrect encoding isn't a major one. That hint by P4AO is not an error message, it is just a reminder that the encoding information of this file is not consistent. In this case, while the XML is indeed encoded in UTF-8, it is lacking the ByteOrderMark and the encoding information in the text declaration at the top is missing. 
You can safely ignore this if the file is working correctly in P3D.
 
Make sure that you are using the latest version of the P4AO. A few versions back I have added a bit of logic that will at least correct the issues in the UTL (and ORBX) xml files. Just open the latest P4AO (make a backup of your config files with the backup option) and then press "Save".
The UTL file will be corrected - but - if you run the UTL client again, then it reverts back to its original state. And the UTL client will also add an additional reference to the simobject.cfg file of your sim - which is unnecessary, as the models are already referenced by the UTL add-on.xml, This can lead to issues if you (like me) prefer to install things in a custom way and with a custom XML file.
 
 
Best regards

 

Edited by Lorby_SI

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, simbol said:

Looks like an encoding problem inside the .XML, download Notepad++, open the UTL .XML document with Notepad++ and save it again to see if it repairs the problem.

Regards,
S.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried your suggestion, however, nothing has changed.

I assume ULT id working OK.

Here is a link to the actual xml file in question.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiol1o24750qf9p/add-on.xml?dl=0

Thanks,  WilloW

PS - I just saw that Oliver has made a comment (thanks Oliver)

Edited by WilloW_737

Share this post


Link to post
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>Ultimate Traffic Live</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>Ultimate Traffic Live.</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>EXE</Category>
    <Path>C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\utl_client.exe</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\utLive Aircraft</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

This is mine and as you can see I modified the  header (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>) and also I shortened the (<Addon.Description>)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, simbio said:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>Ultimate Traffic Live</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>Ultimate Traffic Live.</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>EXE</Category>
    <Path>C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\utl_client.exe</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>C:\PROGRAM FILES\FLIGHT ONE SOFTWARE\utLive Aircraft</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

This is mine and as you can see I modified the  header (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>) and also I shortened the (<Addon.Description>)

Thanks for doing this.  I will do the edits in the morning and see how I go.  Catch you later,   WilloW 

Edited by WilloW_737
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hello @ll,

there are a couple of issues with the UTL add-on.xml, but the incorrect encoding isn't a major one. That hint by P4AO is not an error message, it is just a reminder that the encoding information of this file is not consistent. In this case, while the XML is indeed encoded in UTF-8, it is lacking the ByteOrderMark and the encoding information in the text declaration at the top is missing. 
You can safely ignore this if the file is working correctly in P3D.
 
Make sure that you are using the latest version of the P4AO. A few versions back I have added a bit of logic that will at least correct the issues in the UTL (and ORBX) xml files. Just open the latest P4AO (make a backup of your config files with the backup option) and then press "Save".
The UTL file will be corrected - but - if you run the UTL client again, then it reverts back to its original state. And the UTL client will also add an additional reference to the simobject.cfg file of your sim - which is unnecessary, as the models are already referenced by the UTL add-on.xml, This can lead to issues if you (like me) prefer to install things in a custom way and with a custom XML file.
 
 
Best regards

 

I am a true fan of P4AO and I use it quite often. Thank you so much for this very helpful tool.

There are some more problems concerning UTL/addon.xml. First, I think you meant the UTL installer which recreates the faulty. UTL add-on.xml, because the UTL client opens with every P3D start - or do I mix up something. Second, I also think the additional reference to the simobject.cfg is unnecessary, but if you remove it, it is no longer possible to modify active airline assignments. This is also true when you have created your own "ai aircraft addon" using the add-on.xml method. It must be additionally referenced in the simobject.cfg, otherwise you can't add new a/c and airlines to UTL.So the problem lies in the  UTL architecture, which is still a beta imo.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for clarifying these issues.  It seems that there is nothing to concern yourself about, unless you are pedantic that the coding is correct.

you are correct in that every time you rerun the UTL installer, the xml file reverts back to the original poorly coded file.  

I believe it’s easier to just ignore the errors, in the knowledge that they are not problematic.

I have noticed (on my setup), UTL and scenery written by Drzewiecki Design have these coding issues.  

Thank you again,   WilloW 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

That hint by P4AO is not an error message, it is just a reminder that the encoding information of this file is not consistent. In this case, while the XML is indeed encoded in UTF-8, it is lacking the ByteOrderMark and the encoding information in the text declaration at the top is missing. 

 

Maybe you'll want to loosen this check a bit because, according to the XML standards, the default encoding for a file that has no declaration and no Byte Order Mark (which are both optional) is UTF-8:

https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#charencoding

Quote

it is a fatal error for an entity including an encoding declaration to be presented to the XML processor in an encoding other than that named in the declaration, or for an entity which begins with neither a Byte Order Mark nor an encoding declaration to use an encoding other than UTF-8. Note that since ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, ordinary ASCII entities do not strictly need an encoding declaration.

According to this, you should probably flag as errors only such cases when both the declaration and the BOM are missing, and the file use an encoding *other* than UTF-8.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, virtuali said:

According to this, you should probably flag as errors only such cases when both the declaration and the BOM are missing, and the file use an encoding *other* than UTF-8.

Hello Umberto,

as described above, the dialog only tells the user that the encoding of the file is either unclear or not per spec. None of these usually present an issue for the simulator, but they might. In this particular case, the app cannot safely determine the actual encoding, so the file shows up in the list.

I have included this button to avoid having to answer to support requests because of encoding issues - in those cases where it is definitely wrong, like a cfg file being screwed up by an ASCII editor or installer. But if people start having issues with this functionality, I will just remove it, IMO it's not a big deal, and certainly not worth investing any effort.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now