Sign in to follow this  
bbogdansk

Why has Microsoft done this to me? Is it the update that made it this way?

Just one more question, with those settings what was your FPS? A good approach is to move all sliders to minimum and see how it goes. You can also copy your fsx.cfg to a safe location, delete the original and run fsx again. It will be created by fsx. If everything is OK after that, then you have to deal with fsx settings. If not, something is going wrong with Windows. Also put the entire  fsx folder in the excluded list of your antivirus (Windows Defender). While running fsx check the task manager to see if there are any services with high CPU impact.(Run FSX in window mode).

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M.0]
Mode=1600x900x32 -> 1920x1080x32

Also read this 

Regards.

Edited by Dio
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, Dio said:

Just one more question, with those settings what was your FPS? A good approach is to move all sliders to minimum and see how it goes. You can also copy your fsx.cfg to a safe location, delete the original and run fsx again. It will be created by fsx. If everything is OK after that, then you have to deal with fsx settings. If not, something is going wrong with Windows. Also put the entire  fsx folder in the excluded list of your antivirus (Windows Defender). While running fsx check the task manager to see if there are any services with high CPU impact.(Run FSX in window mode).

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M.0]
Mode=1600x900x32 -> 1920x1080x32

Also read this 

Regards.

My FPS was between 30-60 before

Braden

55 minutes ago, bbogdansk said:

My FPS was between 30-60 before

Braden

Hi, have you tried anything? The guide I have sent you is very helpful .... I also had the update done and everything was fine. Also check if there is excessive disk activity caused by other services, for some reason, while you run fsx. Also set the windows Power Options to high performance if it is not set already. Regards.

Edited by Dio

1 hour ago, Dio said:

Hi, have you tried anything? The guide I have sent you is very helpful .... I also had the update done and everything was fine. Also check if there is excessive disk activity caused by other services, for some reason, while you run fsx. Also set the windows Power Options to high performance if it is not set already. Regards.

Ah yes I did! In fact I am just taking a needed break from tweaking + testing, tweaking + testing, tweaking + testing.... ya know!

I did find a sweet configuration with nVidia Inspector's 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling, Ansiotropic Filtering@User-Defined/Off, Power@High Performance (or Performance) and putting my FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.18 in my FSX.cfg.

But...... V-SYNC is not working that greatly!

Alot of tearing and texture spiking when looking around my eye-point. I have v-Sync on 1/2 RR, Force On, Triple Buffering and that worked the best with a good FPS. It seems like v-sync is not working to its liking, let alone my liking! lol

I will do some more testing and will see what will become. I am tired right now and will try again this evening. My mind needs to saturate what my testing did so far.... lol

I will lyk, Thx!

Braden

So after MANY tries and MANY (much) tweaking with nVidia Inspector and fsx.cfg file changes, I finally found a good setting that is giving me a steady 30 fps and (almost) no stuttering!

Good? Yes!

But..... I have my FFTF at a such a good setting that is giving me blurries. Not to mention terrible v-sync ripping and tearing, but with bp=0 I expected it. Still only trying the A2A C182 on a clear day with these results. I hope to see some good news with the NGX, but I am not sure what to expect!

So yeah, I am still word not allowed at Microsoft for ruining my patience and time, but hope to find a solution soon.

Eyes to the skies!

Braden

17 hours ago, bbogdansk said:

Not to mention terrible v-sync ripping and tearing,

Have you tried Fast Sync? In theory it's only supposed to work at very high framerates but some people on these forums (me included) have found it very effective with only a small performance hit.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Fast Sync I have tried, but not as much as 1/2 Refresh Rate V-Sync. I have a 60 hz monitor and am thinking that 1/2 RR should give me a good 30 fps without tearing.

I will take your advice however. Do you know what the difference is between the two by chance?? A 1/2 RR VSync would be 30/60 hz, but FAST VSync is something I don't really know about. Yeah.... : )

Thank you for your advice, vortex681. Much appreciated!

Braden 

On 12 June 2018 at 7:58 PM, bbogdansk said:

Do you know what the difference is between the two by chance?

The biggest difference between the two is input lag, which is much higher for "vsync 1/2 refresh rate". For a detailed explanation of fast sync, watch this: https://youtu.be/L07t_mY2LEU. As I said in an earlier post (and as the linked video repeatedly states), fast sync shouldn't work at framerates at or below the refresh rate. However, I had quite noticeable tearing with FSX on my 60Hz monitor. After trying all of the alternatives, I tried fast sync (with unlimited frame rates in-game) and the tearing was gone with no noticeable performance hit - my FPS is averages around 40-50.

Another alternative is to try "adaptive vsync 1/2 refresh rate". With a 60Hz monitor, if your FPS are above 30, vsync is active (with some input lag) with no tearing. If you FPS drop below 30, vsync turns off but there could be some tearing (but no input lag).

If I were you, I'd try fast sync first and if it doesn't help, try "adaptive vsync 1/2 refresh rate".

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I will try out both, thx!

My monitor is 60 Hz and I run no bufferpools in the fsx.cfg, so I will have tearing issues no matter what. I am used to a here-and-there popping twitch, which was ominent with my pre-Windows 10 1803 setting. But I now have annoying twitching and tearing even with v-sync on in either my fsx.cfg and nVidia Inspector. 

Like I said, I am finding a good setting that is giving me steady fps and good graphics, but I am still struggling with v-sync. Life's a word not allowed. Oh well! ; )

More thanks!

Braden

Just asking, after the Microsoft update is your VGA card driver also updated? If yes find the old driver. Have you set the settings inside NVI to FSX exe? Delete your fsx.cfg and let FSX create it again... Give it a try, you can copy it first to safe location and then you can bring it back. Usually windows updates lead to CTDs the don't mess with the performance so much.

Regards.

Just to confirm that the issue with the update is not in our imagination, my daughter in law is a Microsoft tech and was at my house today. She confirmed that it has been a total disaster and has ruined a lot of people's computers. She said that she has done nothing else for weeks but try to repair problems caused by the update and that in most cases, the only fix is to wipe the hard drive and do a complete reinstall. Not exactly good news, but it was confirmation for me that the OP's issue was a valid one and there is no simple fix. MS then did a major update to X-Box and it was equally disastrous. So it's not just a flight sim problem but something much bigger... I'm sure in the long run MS will sort it all out, but in the meantime it has caused huge problems for many of us, myself included...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

She confirmed that it has been a total disaster and has ruined a lot of people's computers.

Whilst I wouldn't argue that some people have had issues with the update, if it's such a disaster why have most people, myself included, had no problems with it? I sympathise with anyone who's affected but I've had zero issues. If it was so bad, the Internet would be awash with complaints (gamers, in particular, seldom hold back) and that's just not the case. Just like problems with previous updates, it seems to be very system-specific rather than being some fundamental fault with the code.

Edited by vortex681

I agree with Vortex, i had no problems with Microsoft Updates. A very good solution is to have a dual boot system. I have 2 HDD both with Windows 10, one just Flight sim software and the other with my normal everyday stuff (I use it for my work). And before a major update I backup the entire partition to an external HDD (Just in case...)

Regards. 

18 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

Just to confirm that the issue with the update is not in our imagination, my daughter in law is a Microsoft tech and was at my house today. She confirmed that it has been a total disaster and has ruined a lot of people's computers. She said that she has done nothing else for weeks but try to repair problems caused by the update and that in most cases, the only fix is to wipe the hard drive and do a complete reinstall. Not exactly good news, but it was confirmation for me that the OP's issue was a valid one and there is no simple fix. MS then did a major update to X-Box and it was equally disastrous. So it's not just a flight sim problem but something much bigger... I'm sure in the long run MS will sort it all out, but in the meantime it has caused huge problems for many of us, myself included...

kiwiflyer45, thank you!

Hearing a MS rep. (sort of) say that the problem is actually their's?? Wow!!!

I really hope they listen and take action and help the affected.

Wait.... the fix is a complete re-install???  Well, sh*t!!!

Is this MS saying to all their customers: "Tear Down Everything!" and "Fix the problem we gave to you, yourself!????

Though it makes me very angry having to put more of my time and effort to restore my computer, I still can't believe it!

Yes I really should not complain anymore and I should just go back to the previous version of Windows! Still.... a part of me wants MS to listen and have the guts to help out the innocent!

Am I wrong???

Anyways, thank you very much!

Trying out DirectX 10 now. I hope to see results!

Braden

9 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Whilst I wouldn't argue that some people have had issues with the update, if it's such a disaster why have most people, myself included, had no problems with it? I sympathise with anyone who's affected but I've had zero issues. If it was so bad, the Internet would be awash with complaints (gamers, in particular, seldom hold back) and that's just not the case. Just like problems with previous updates, it seems to be very system-specific rather than being some fundamental fault with the code.

I'm not interested in participating in an argument here. I'm glad for you that you've had zero issues. I have said the same myself in the past to people complaining about Windows 10 which gave me zero problems with both FS9 and FSX-SE. Different systems, different results. All I am doing (and this is my last post on the issue) is confirm that the OP had a valid complaint, confirmed by someone I trust who is a fully qualified computer tech employed by Microsoft dealing with this six days a week. Obviously it isn't affecting everyone or the whole Internet would be down and the world's economy in free fall.... Maybe even the sky would be falling down - the possibilities are endless. The issue is simply this - a lot of people have been adversely affected by the update. Your results may differ. Mazel tov!

Edited by kiwiflyer45
  • Upvote 1