Sign in to follow this  
Manny

GE Pro....what's your routine?

OK...I bought it today, and spent a couple of hours building some texture sets (mostly clear and a few cloudy). Then GEPRO asked if it could start FS for me and load a set. I checked OK. Can I assume that flying out of my airport (KABE) that what I was seeing was GE PRO? I still had BEV on my system, which I plan now to delete.Is that the procedure you use? GE Pro is minimized, FS Starts, and then when I'm at the airport, I load ASv6 for weather.What is your procedure, and is there something I should be doing differently?I plan to load some more texture sets tonight....How many of each do some of you have? Stan

Here's what works best for me

Hi Eagle,Wouldn't your process have AS6 over-write any FE Pro textures (on the basis that the last loaded texture application will prevail in FS)?I do the following:1. Find a flight plan- either by opening FS9 and using the flight planner, or by having one that you can enter manually. If you opened FS9 to create the flight plan, close it.2. Run AS6, with the same "Wx-Influenced" enabled for the texture options. Load the FS9 created flight plan, or input your own. Leave AS6 running after this is completed.3. Run GE Pro. On the "weather" page (I'm not in from of my FS computer as I'm at work today, so I can't exactly recall the labels), input the ICAO code for your departure and arrival airports. Note- I find that I keep getting a default check on this page that assumes I am staying in the pattern, which if you don't disable it will disregard any destination weather. Click in the stations in departure and arrival columns and have GE pro download the METARs, then load the GE pro textures.4. Run FS. GE pro can be shut down, but you may want AS6 active to provide some enroute thermals and wx smoothing / METAR updating.Bruce.

>Hi Eagle,>>Wouldn't your process have AS6 over-write any FE Pro textures>(on the basis that the last loaded texture application will>prevail in FS)?>No, FE Pro doesn't excist yet, this is GE Pro (Ground Environment) which provides ground and sky (not cloud) textures, so it doesn't matter which one you start first

Sorry- I meant GE Pro :)Bruce.

I use ASv6, GE Pro, and FS Autostart.I have created a ASv6 custom sky theme without 'sky textures/coloring'.I have created an FS Autostart with GE Pro as a AutoStart launching application instead of FS.All you have to is go to AutoStart, go to edit...then select 'new', and select, 'copy current profile'. Now simply make GE Pro the launching app and you have a selection directly for FS, or GE Pro.When I use the AutoStart GE Pro 'button', I start FS with GEP.If I ever fly without Pro, I can use an old custom ASv6 'sky theme' with sky textures/colors, and start FS with my old 'FS' autostart scheme.

Good input....however, I don't use FS Autostart. I guess it's working alright when I start by opening GEPRO, which takes me to FS, and then I load ASv6. When I had Bev (now deleted...and I hope I did this right...deleted it after I had GEPro installed), I just started FS and then started ASv6. It used to work great. I'm using GE Pro now because everyone on this forum seemed to think it was superior in detail and visuals over the BEV product. Stan

I just fire up ASv6, then GE pro, load way points into GE pro, let it load the textures it wants, close it and fire up MSFS.Real simple.

Just remember that if you want different cloud textures for different weather types you have to click the Refresh button in ASv6 while FS is closed! Also, you must load a flight plan into it:In Active Sky:1. Options > Startup and General > Check "Start Paused"1. Options > Graphics > Check "Auto-Submit"2. Browse and select "Wx-Influenced" for both Full Sky Theme and Cirrus Theme3. Save and Close Options4. Click "New Route"5. Import flight plan > Select Speed and Cruise Altitude > Process6. Click Refresh button 7. WaitMaybe this should be done before starting GE Pro in order to get the GEP sky texture, I don't know if AS provides sky textures.This important if you prefer the weather-made textures both on ground and in the sky, which of course gives you the best match an most varied FS :-).Eagle

Yes, GE Pro provides sky rextures, in fact I have produced over 300 in my Pro set-up. I really think Pro works best when the custom ground and sky METAR 'generated' texture selection work together. IMO.That is why I find it simple to just make a custom ASv6 'sky theme' without including 'sky textures', and use that when running with Pro.

>Yes, GE Pro provides sky rextures, in fact I have produced>over 300 in my Pro set-up. I really think Pro works best when>the custom ground and sky METAR 'generated' texture selection>work together. IMO.>>That is why I find it simple to just make a custom ASv6 'sky>theme' without including 'sky textures', and use that when>running with Pro.Thanks, very helpful. I think I'll stick to my method to avoid making themes, I kinda like the fact that the texture set is actually constructed based on the current weather. But just by updating AS first and then GEP, based on your info, I get the sky textures from GEP :-).Eagle

You may be correct, I'm simply playing it safe. Creating a new custom set without 'sky' selected only took seconds.I have not asked Jim with AS whether the sky color is ever updated during a flight (which I doubt as you only select one), or more importantly, as the cloud textures don't 'kick-in' until after you are in FS, whether that is when the AS sky textures are installed...thus over-writing the GE sky.Perhaps if he sees this, he can comment.

Hi,Here I am!Sky color cannot be updated during a flight, only cirrus textures. The important thing in all of this is to make changes before starting FS04 and that the last set of textures submitted will be the set that FS04 will use.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://dot.kelder.net:8080/fseconomy/

Bumping, plan to buy GE Pro.Very useful discussion.Dirk.

As I assumed Jim.But in terms of the color selection you can make in ASv6 during the selection process of the ASv6 set-up, is that selection ever implemented *after* that (until re-selected)?In other words, is there any way for ASv6 to change the sky 'texture' chosen by the GE Pro program before starting FS, as ASv6 has only started in 'stand by' mode, but clouds (as example) are not 'loaded' until you are in FS.My goodness, there must be an easier way to explain this ;) , but I'll let that stand.