Acerazus

P3D crashes when the sun sets or rises in the sim

Hello all,

I have a GTX 650Ti. I have set an fps limit of 30 and the GPU only utilises about 35-40% of the memory. I was flying the PMDG 777 from Heathrow to Shanghai when about 5 hours into the sim, the sun starts to set. When it comes to the sun setting or rising in the sim, the graphics card just crashes with the "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG". I noticed that I only get this message when the GPU utilises 100% of the memory for a long period of time but during sunset, the GPU isn't using 100% of the memory.

I hope this isn't too vague but any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I don't have settings put on max, they're usually set around the medium/low setting.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I know on my machine if I have cloud shadows on during dawn/dusk, it drags down the fps.  Maybe your rig is crashing instead of just slowing down like mine does.

11 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

Dusk and dawn transitions cause issues with the ESP based (FSX, FSX:SE, PREPAR3D) sims.  It is known by LM, hopefully one day they will fix it.

I'm putting over a hundred hours a month on my P3dv4 machine (only use PMDG aircraft) and probably experience 30 sunrise/sunsets a month  and have never had a failure during these time periods. My  card is a 1070 so that may be the difference.  Technology changes from card generation to generation are tremendous and the latest graphic drivers make a big difference.   When I was running FSX I never had this experience either.  

18 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

I'm putting over a hundred hours a month on my P3dv4 machine (only use PMDG aircraft) and probably experience 30 sunrise/sunsets a month  and have never had a failure during these time periods. My  card is a 1070 so that may be the difference.  Technology changes from card generation to generation are tremendous and the latest graphic drivers make a big difference.   When I was running FSX I never had this experience either.  

I never had any graphics problem in FSX in related to sunrises/sunsets. It only seems to be affected in P3D. It probably is only because of my old graphics card and I am in need of an upgrade.