Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk65

FPS Leak??

Could have been a scan, download or some other process that fired up.

What Anti-virus software are you using? Have you excluded the P3D and associated folders?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

6 hours ago, n99wb said:

Could have been a scan, download or some other process that fired up.

I have thought of that but ensured that I utili9zed the Avsim P3D install guide to minimize processes and startup programs for only what was essentially needed.  I took it one step further and adjusted AM for all programs removing their ability to utilize either Core 0 and 1, except for Windows or other critical system programs via Process Lasso.  Testing was done one at a time for each process, starting with anything that works with or talks with P3D.  Then moving to other outside programs like Microsoft Office, Google Chrome etc.  I also have windows updates set to manual. 

When using P3D, I keep my Norton antivirus in offline mode.  I also have my firewall and antivirus setup to not scan and exclude any and all folder that either deal with P3D or its associated add-ons, such as ASN, VATSIM, ProkectUK etc.

Kris

On 6/23/2018 at 3:08 PM, 331BK said:

I had something "similar" today. 

I`m currently flying from KIAD to LOWW with QW787 suddently without changing anything i had 6 FPS with locked and unlocked frame limiter.  

I was quite wondering because KIAD is P3D default ( plan to purchase the flightbeam one).  I played arround with my settings but nothing helped. 

Because the sky is completly full with clouds i thought maybee it helps to set the cloud coverage density back one step from full right. 

And boooomm 31 FPS locked ?!!  I changed nothing else. 

Interestingly a few minutes later when i completed my preflight checks .... again suddently the frames went down to 6 - 7 FPS.  Back to the cloud coverage density slider and put it back to FULL RIGHT. 

Same effect: from 6 to 28 - 31 FPS locked.  

I´m now in the Air since about  30 min and the frames are constantly at 27-30 FPS locked like i expect them to be. 

Prety strange. 

I use AS16 and ASCA with ENVTEX Textures, ENVSHADE and REX Soft Clouds.  Maybee it has soemthing to do with this combination?

brgds

I've also been dealing with an issue where flying the NGX, fps locked at 30, pretty much stays around 30 until approach to destination. At some point at or about the time the destination airport loads my fps drop, sometimes as low as 8-10. Happens on day or night flights. The other night I did the same thing and started experimenting with graphics settings, changing one setting at a time to minimum, and nothing had any effect UNTIL I moved the cloud coverage slider from "Maximum" to "Low", and BAM, fps jumped back up to 24-30 and stayed there. As a test, I decided to set it back to Maximum, and interestingly, it had no effect on fps, as it remained at 24-30.

Personally I suspect something with either ActiveSky 4, or Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA), or possibly ENVTEX, or P3D Tweak Assistant (PTA). I don't use the cloud textures from ENVTEX, only ASCA clouds.

I use Hyper Threading with affinity mask set in P3D.cfg to use cores 0, 2-7. All other apps associated with use of P3D are set to use cores 2,7 as P3D seems to make least use of core 2 on my system.

I am going to try some tests with each of these apps, one at a time, disabled/not running to see if it has any effect.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Update: I spent literally hours if not days reading through forums, watching videos, and testing and trying different results.

What really took me the most was the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rc1qm5zks. I know each system is different. While the components may be the same, there are always minute and tiny details within the hardware that can cause a difference. However, I thought it might be small in terms of performance. 

I have now been able to complete multiple flights with multiple settings/software (i.e. aircraft, scenery, support etc.) Now before I go into the next part, I am by no means a computer programmer, I just consider myself better than most. The following is areas that I feel may have a potential issue and finally the end result. Also, I am holding off on the P3D v4.3 update until after supporting software is able to ensure compatibility and any applicable updates that might be required.

1. Navigraph Charts uninstalled completely from system and registry and then re-installed without sim-link. I think it was causing a performance degradation with communication between the host software and the sim.

2. Stopped using AvilaSoft EFB and reverted back to Navigraph Charts for chart information and data but without symlink. I will try and do more testing to see if a problem remains for communication between EFB and P3D. However, I am curious to see how their generation two interacts with P3D.

Was having bad issues with sound stuttering, stopping etc., but no effect with, overall system and sim performance. Essentially I had to try and fly with no sound. Either an issue with PMDG, FS2Crew, P3D or Audio Software/Hardware.

3a. Uninstalled Logitech G933 Headset software, not sure if there is a compatibility issue or not.
3b. Changed audio settings from 16-bit 48000hz DVD quality to 16-bit 44100hz CD quality.
3c. Removed Surround Sound Settings and retuned headset settings to stereo mode. 

Before the last two steps, I was able to monitor both my CPU and GPU. The GPU would remain relatively utilized say anywhere from 40%-60%, while the CPU was hammered on Core 0 which always maintained 100% utilization, while the other cores down to 20%-40% utilization.

4. Purchased SimStarter, built new CFG and Scenery Indexes and cleared Shaders. Adjusted the following lines on the CFG.

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=9
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12
UseGlobalTerrainView=False

[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30

No Affinity Mask was utilized; NCP monitor kept at 165hz and Gysnce enabled both in Full-Screen and Windowed Mode; NI set the FPS to 35FPS, Prefer Maximum Performance and Single Monitor (all other settings are default).

5. Utilized Process Lasso to affect both affinity mask and system priority for all applications not required by either the OS, P3D or supporting programs. This, however, had no effect on core utilization.

6. Went into the BIOS to verify system integrity and Overclock. No Change, so I decided to adjust and disable Hyper-Threading. 

7. I utilized the Avsim guide just in case and set Norton to exclude all P3D files, folders, and applications to include supporting programs. I also did a complete system defrag for good measure.

All test utilize 3rd Party Scenery, Aircraft, Weather, ACARS etc. No default software is utilized.

Test 1. Leave the system running for over 12 hours, with high-performance aircraft, scenery, and weather etc. No issue. Only changes to FPS was during intense weather and nighttime dynamic lighting (to be expected) FPS returned back to normal.

Test 2. Utilize PMDG 737 with short-haul flight and photo scenery only from KSFO-DEN. No issues, FPS fluctuated as needed between 30-35FPS.

Test 3. Utilize PMDG 777 from KDEN to KIAD during daytime conditions. No issues, FPS fluctuated as needed between 30-35FPS. However, after landing and during the deboarding stage, the sim just vanished straight to desktop, no CTD, no errors reported either in the P3D error log or within the event viewer in Windows Admin Settings.

Test 4. Utilize PMDG 777 from KSFO to EGLL, starting at dusk, however, the test had to be aborted due to the failure of Stabilizer. During the test, no issues and FPS fluctuated as expected due to the current environment and prevailing conditions.

Test 5. Utilize PMDG 747 from KIAD to EGLL started daytime progressed into the night and landed after dawn. FPS fluctuated as needed between 30-35FPS. 2 x hours later it's still running at EGLL with maintained 35FPS. 

I think I have made significant progress. Although the one area I haven't tested yet is with Autogen back in and ORBX, which I am to work on over the next few days. I also know that certain settings need to be scaled back when required, the system can run everything all at once. But its a start and heading in the right direction. I can do things now that I have never been able to do before.

In all I was able to keep UTlive at 60% commercial and 0%GA, within the sim;
Traffic:
Only Ship Traffic at 20%, all other selections are False or 0%
Display:
FXAA on to help with texturing melding; TFx16; AA set to 8xMSAA night and 8xSSAA day, TR Ultra; No VSync, TB, or WWAR.
World:
Terrain all sliders too far right, no HD res for TT; Scenery Comp Dense, no AutoGen; Water High, no Reflections or Bath, Special Effects High Both.
Lighting:
Dynamic Reflections Medium, Dynamic Lighting on, Landing Lights on, Lens Flare False, Shadows High for both, Shadows Cast (IV, EV, Clouds, and Terrain) Recieve (IV, EV, Buildings)
Weather:
CDD 60miles; CCD Maximum, Detailed Clouds, all other selections selected.

ASN: All selections are default except Upper visibility set to 199.

In the end, not all of this was done at once. Generally, one or two items would change and testing would be done. I think what did it was to disable HT. Since Core 0 has not been at 100% utilization. Just food for thought....

Again I am not a system programmer, I just consider myself better with computers than most. I invite any and all questions, feedback and constructive criticism etc. hopefully this may help others in the long run. I am very curious to see if a future vs. can take advantage of software/hardware...

Side note, almost forgot, audio drivers and system drivers were checked and updated as required. Nvidia drivers were causing their drivers to crash while P3D was running, I had to roll-back to 397.64-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql as this was the only one stable for me

V/R
Kris