Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

CPU cooling for possible upgrade

I am looking at upgrading my Haswell 4770K system with a new i7-8086K cpu plus suitable MB and new ram.  I plan to retain my Coolermaster HAFX case and would, for the sake of simplicity, prefer to keep my Corsair H90 cpu cooler but unsure of if it will be compatible with the  LGA 1151v2 socket.  Advice on this would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Its compatible, but for 8086K i should go for a AIO with 280rad, H90 is good but with that one you can save some more and take a 8700K

To really get a benefit with the 8086k over a 8700k the cooling is very important doubt that you see any difference with a H90

Edited by westman

Bruce, check what martin-w replied to me in a similar thread. Not too far dissimilar to you, I am currently using an oc/d Haswell i5-4679k CPU,but have just purchased the i7-8086k for future-proofing. I too am in the market for a suitable MoBo and RAM, and CPU cooling, retaining the existing Antec-900/2 case, with a OCZ StealthXStream 700w PSU or the existing Antec True Power 650w PSU.

My last build with a Fractal R6 , had the plan to do a XP11 pc but it shall serve as extra and second P3D Pc.

I can recomend the Fractal S36 it was really good 

The PC running at 4.8ghz HT-on I9-7920X , with 1080TI cooled with NZXT G12 , one with X61 second X42 with pushpull to balance the gpu temps.

There is tree AIO coolers, S36, X61 and X42

my main sim pc is customwater on both cpu and gpus this was a test with leftovers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns1ugu70p7r5rzi/Fractal R6.png?dl=0

One thing to consider is waiting for Intel to come out with a new generation of processors which have the processor security flaws corrected.  I've been running my i7-4770K (which has been a absolutely wonder processor for flight sim). This is what I'm waiting for before I upgrade, and overclocking the 4770K to 4.5Ghz makes my flight sim run great!

Best wishes and best of luck.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

14 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

One thing to consider is waiting for Intel to come out with a new generation of processors which have the processor security flaws corrected.  I've been running my i7-4770K (which has been a absolutely wonder processor for flight sim). This is what I'm waiting for before I upgrade, and overclocking the 4770K to 4.5Ghz makes my flight sim run great!

Best wishes and best of luck.

Thanks Dave.  This is the other thing that I have been mulling over whether to wait for the processor security flaw to be corrected in a new generation CPU.  Keeping the H90 would make for a simpler install as I can retain the Corsair 140 mm fan on the back of the case.  I could fit a two fan radiator under the top of the case but it will be much more fiddly rather avoid this if I can.

Bruceb

Edited by brucewtb
Layout
  • Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 7/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, brucewtb said:

I am looking at upgrading my Haswell 4770K system with a new i7-8086K cpu plus suitable MB and new ram.  I plan to retain my Coolermaster HAFX case and would, for the sake of simplicity, prefer to keep my Corsair H90 cpu cooler but unsure of if it will be compatible with the  LGA 1151v2 socket.  Advice on this would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Bruceb

Yep, as Westman said, it is compatible. As you already own the H90, I would install it in your new system and gain first hand experience in terms of how it performs. If it doesn't perform to your requirements, upgrade it.

Difficult to advise regarding opting for 8700K or the binned version of the 8700K, the 8086K, or cooling requirements, without knowing your objectives. How high do you intend to overclock? What do you want to achieve?  Is the additional premium for the 8086K, over the 8700k, worth it in your opinion for slightly lower voltage and temp? 

Edited by martin-w

14 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, as Westman said, it is compatible. As you already own the H90, I would install it in your new system and gain first hand experience in terms of how it performs. If it doesn't perform to your requirements, upgrade it.

Thanks - this is what I will probably do. I have checked further online and it seems I could fit a Corsair H100/H100i twin fan AIO cooler radiator in the top of my HAFX case.  The only thing is to do this I would be taking out two 200mm exhaust fans so better cooling for the chip but maybe not for case - perhaps a bit of a zero sum game.  As for waiting until intel comes up with new gen processors that fix the security flaws I would like to see a roadmap of where they are going with this and how long it will take.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

8 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Thanks - this is what I will probably do. I have checked further online and it seems I could fit a Corsair H100/H100i twin fan AIO cooler radiator in the top of my HAFX case.  The only thing is to do this I would be taking out two 200mm exhaust fans so better cooling for the chip but maybe not for case - perhaps a bit of a zero sum game.  As for waiting until intel comes up with new gen processors that fix the security flaws I would like to see a roadmap of where they are going with this and how long it will take.

Bruceb

It would be the Corsair H100i V2.

The HAF has way more cooling than required, so i wouldn't worry too much about that. We all over cool our PC's. Two 200mm fans on top is way over kill. I have a Phnatek Evolv TG, and no fans on top at all. Just two 140's in the front and one 140 in the rear. That's with an 8700K running at 5 GHz. Not to mention a 980 Ti. Cooled with a Noctua NH-D15S. 

When are those next gen processors coming out? You are talking about post 8086 and 8700k?

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

FWIW, I've done this now for over a decade, and when I've brought it up in cooling-related threads there is usually little to no comment one way or the other, which perplexes me since this cooling solution works exceedingly well, and really isn't very expensive to do, and best of all, cools motherboard, ram, GPU, CPU, etc!  

Quite simply it's this:  I installed a small thru-the-wall a/c unit and have my PC cases's primary large intake fan opening on the HAF-X case positioned so that it gets the full output of the a/c unit.   With A/C on a medium setting my 3930K at 4.42Ghz which has only a Noctua air cooler at peak load while flying P3D core temps hover around 52C.  In our hot summers here w/ ambient temp in the house of 79-80F I would be hitting close to 68C on my CPU w/o the A/C on.   I can o/c my trusty old GTX Titan original as well.  Some have complained they don't want the noise (it's white noise, FWIW) while flying, but seriously:  when was the last time you flew in the real world and didn't have a little extra noise?!  I often use stereo monitor headphones anyway, so I can't even tell its running with those on.

The beauty of this approach is that is works w/ your next system upgrade, and the next one after that ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just a follow up to this on my current rig - 4770K @ 4.4 mhz under max load on core 1 the cpu averages about 30 deg C above ambient and tops out at about 40 above.  Ambient varies between 15 and 25 deg C rarely any higher mostly less than 20 so I am hoping there is some headroom here with this case and my H90 to cope with a 8086K.  If not then I will consider something else but reluctant to do away with the two 200 mm fans in the case top.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

20 hours ago, Noel said:

FWIW, I've done this now for over a decade, and when I've brought it up in cooling-related threads there is usually little to no comment one way or the other, which perplexes me since this cooling solution works exceedingly well, and really isn't very expensive to do, and best of all, cools motherboard, ram, GPU, CPU, etc!  

Quite simply it's this:  I installed a small thru-the-wall a/c unit and have my PC cases's primary large intake fan opening on the HAF-X case positioned so that it gets the full output of the a/c unit.   With A/C on a medium setting my 3930K at 4.42Ghz which has only a Noctua air cooler at peak load while flying P3D core temps hover around 52C.  In our hot summers here w/ ambient temp in the house of 79-80F I would be hitting close to 68C on my CPU w/o the A/C on.   I can o/c my trusty old GTX Titan original as well.  Some have complained they don't want the noise (it's white noise, FWIW) while flying, but seriously:  when was the last time you flew in the real world and didn't have a little extra noise?!  I often use stereo monitor headphones anyway, so I can't even tell its running with those on.

The beauty of this approach is that is works w/ your next system upgrade, and the next one after that ;o)

Noel. I remember when you first had this idea, ages ago, and you and I chatted about it. Glad you're still pleased with your solution. 🙂

Some have complained they don't want the noise (it's white noise, FWIW) while flying, but seriously:  when was the last time you flew in the real world and didn't have a little extra noise?!  I often use stereo monitor headphones anyway, so I can't even tell its running with those on.

Its subjective really. And depends what we use our PC's for. I never use headphones and use my PC for gaming. So the noise would be a no go for me. For me, and I have to say most PC users, it's about a balance between noise and cooling. But if for you, it's acceptable to edge further toward the noisy end of the spectrum that's fine too.

In our hot summers here w/ ambient temp in the house of 79-80F I would be hitting close to 68C on my CPU w/o the A/C on.

It cant be below ambient. By that i mean that in the vicinity of the PC, the ambient is lower due to the AC unit cooling the ambient air. I'm sure you mean elsewhere in the house away from your PC/AC cooling solution it's warmer.

We know all about warm weather at the moment in the UK, hehe. Cant remember last time we had decent rain, and we were hitting over 30 C the other week. Mid twenties at the moment. Which brings me to another point, and just playing devils advocate...

Despite our very warm weather lately I have had no issue at all with cooling. That's with an NH-D15S and three 140 fans in a Phenteks Evolv TG. So the question is... do you really need your noisy AC cooling solution? 😀

3 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Just a follow up to this on my current rig - 4770K @ 4.4 mhz under max load on core 1 the cpu averages about 30 deg C above ambient and tops out at about 40 above.  Ambient varies between 15 and 25 deg C rarely any higher mostly less than 20 so I am hoping there is some headroom here with this case and my H90 to cope with a 8086K.  If not then I will consider something else but reluctant to do away with the two 200 mm fans in the case top.

Bruceb

There wont be any issues at all with your current case in regard to cooling Bruce. The H90 cools about 6  degrees warmer than my NH-D15S,  but louder.  So you should get reasonable results from this cooler. I'm guessing, but you should get 5 GHz. The 8086K seems to be requiring less voltage and is a bit cooler. Silicon lottery still applies of course. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Despite our very warm weather lately I have had no issue at all with cooling. That's with an NH-D15S and three 140 fans in a Phenteks Evolv TG. So the question is... do you really need your noisy AC cooling solution? 😀

I'm real fond of '2-fers', ie getting more than one issue solved.   Yes, ambient in the house is 79-80F, outside it's 90-100F, so I use my cooling solution (a/c, versus 'fan only') in the warmer months to cool both me and the PC, and in the wintertime I'll either use fan only or nothing at all.   I can't say for sure how things would be now had I not gone down this road, but over 5y now on this system which I run probably for 6 hours daily at full 4.42GHz I tend to believe it's helped, keeping the entire box cool:  GPU, ram, CPU, etc.   The 'noisy' is way overblown--the next time you take a real life flight in a Q400 or anything else I guarantee you the dB rating will be orders of magnitude higher than my 'lil AC cooling solution.   So really Martin, it's ADDS to the aural ambience, so truly, it's actually a 3-fer ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X