Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Ortho4XP for FSX/P3D

On 3/23/2020 at 7:25 AM, Chris Osbakk said:

Any good updated scenproc config to use? 
Default one doesnt create anything for me sadly!

Does sceneproc run though? Sceneproc has a bug where you need to open it manually after you download it, or it will not run from ortho4xp... if you do see sceneproc opening, then yes, you might need a better script for your area.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

On 4/3/2020 at 10:40 PM, HawiianCoi78 said:

I just downloaded this and installed the Plymouth area based on the video provided in forum (forgot name of person that posted it) GOT 2 questions since I never owned Xplane.

1. in order to put in orthos throughout different areas like las vegas, socal, Hawaii, norcal, Washington, etc etc etc....Do I have to download the Xplane 11 orthos from an Ortho site, or does this package represent any place I want to overlay?

2. Can I delete and get rid of my ORBX Global and ALL my Orbx OPEN LC Addons ? 

1) no need to download xplane orthos. In fact, they’re not compatible with fsx/P3d.

2) not sure what you mean by this :).

Alfredo Terrero

On 4/26/2020 at 3:17 AM, 1282552 said:

is there a fix for this problem? i have the same problem with new and clean install.

10x

(ESP_build_dir is None inside of resample... something went wrong, so can't run resample_

That is a bug I need to fix. It is hard to reproduce so I don’t have a fix for it yet. If you can consistently reproduce it, please PM me with the steps of how you run ortho so I can fix the bug.

Alfredo Terrero

On 5/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, roger_wilco_66 said:

Hi,

I tested Orth4XP recently and managed to compile a sizeable photoreal area with it.  I could not get the scenprog component to run though. Did anyone successfully get autogen annotations with it?  What does it employ, OSM data or does it analyze the phototiles?  Is it supposed to get executed after the DFM processing?  Where does it write the AGN files?  Sorry for the questions...

The parallel instancing of resample does not work! I tried that years ago.  Since resample locks resources only one instance can run concurrently. If you can manage to start several instances, all of them wait except the one which gets a time slice for execution.    I think it is a very very old code - it opens the file and locks it, reads a small bit, and the writes to the target file, all in very small increments and even seems to wait, doing nothing, this is why it takes forever.  I already asked LM to look into an update if possible.  

If I may I would like to suggest that resampling could be checked before execution (like the download), wether the target file is already present and skip it if the check is positive.  2   

Cheers,
Mark

It spawns multiple resample processes for each individual inf file. It should speed it up depending how many cores you have. Also, good suggestion, I will try to add it when I have more time to work on this.

Alfredo Terrero

On 5/10/2020 at 3:12 AM, cwburnett said:

@kjjj11223344 first, thanks for this amazing tool. I have been generating tiles in Europe, mostly Germany to start and have a quick question that I don't think I saw in the 20 some pages of this thread...sorry if I missed it.

In some areas, for example looking at tile (I think) +53+014 -- basically on the Baltic coast at the border between Germany and Poland, I found the EUR data source the best. However, it downloads tiles from two sources - ARC and PL. This creates two subfolders for the imagery. However, the ESP resample process only runs on one of those folders, it never ships the others to resample. I can feed them to resample manually I suppose, but wondered if there's something I can do in the GUI or CFG file to fix that?

The same happens when I want to use the feature where I download higher ZL around a city or airport for example, a second imagery folder is created (like BI16 and BI17), but I only get BGLs for the BI16 source.

I can work around this by running the whole tile at 16 and at 17 and manually replacing the tiles, but that's time consuming. Any thoughts you may have on this would be great, or if it is just a limitation, I will try to figure out how to automate sending the second folder to resample. Thanks!

Hmmm, never knew ortho would pull from two sources like that. That is a bug on my end and I need to add support for that.

the custom zooms doesnt work, but I will try to add it as many people are asking for it.

Alfredo Terrero

On 5/14/2020 at 5:43 AM, denno said:

One thing still needs to be answered: Are custom zoom levels possible? When I configure it accordingly, ortho4xp-p2d downloads the right BPMs but it doesn't seem like they're being compiled into the bgls.

Daniel

This is on my wishlist to implement.

• Like 1

Alfredo Terrero

On 5/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, ronh99 said:

For those of you that are having trouble with resample and scenproc running.  Here is what I had to do.

But first a little explanation on why:

running programs from within other programs usually involves cmd.  But cmd does not like spaces in the cmd to be run. so setting the Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D.cfg files to

ESP_resample_loc=F:\\Program Files\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.14.34698\\World\\Terrain\\resample.exe
ESP_scenproc_loc=F:\\Program Files\\scenproc_latest_development_release_x64\\scenProc.exe

will have issues running. See the F:\\Program Files - Program then a space then Files. Does not work.  You need to quote these long pathnames with spaces, but adding quotes in the cfg file is not what you want to do.

@kjjj11223344 The python program code in O4_ESP_Utils.py should change

You can leave in the @0@ and @1@ in the default.spc files so it spawns the proper files.

If you are brave and backup that file make the following change: (you are basically going to add the quotes in the code)

near line 222

# TODO: cleanup processes when main program quits
def worker(queue):
    # """Process files from the queue."""
    for args in iter(queue.get, None):
        try:
            file_name = args[0]
            inf_abs_path = \"args[1]\"

and near line 265

def run_scenproc_threaded(queue):
    # """Process files from the queue."""
    for args in iter(queue.get, None):
        try:
            scenproc_script_file = \"args[0]\"
            scenproc_osm_file = \"args[1]\"
            texture_folder = \"args[2]\"
            spawn_scenproc_process(scenproc_script_file, scenproc_osm_file, texture_folder)
        except Exception as e: # catch exceptions to avoid exiting the
                               # thread prematurely
            print('%r failed: %s' % (args, e,))

WARNING: if you don't understand python and the important thing about indentation - you can mess up the code so make a backup of this file.

The \" basically adds quotes around the things to run the resample command and scenproc.  This is what it looks like in my case without quotes and with

F:\Program Files\scenproc_latest_development_release_x64\scenProc.exe F:\default.spc /run F:\Program Files\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\OSM_data\+40-090\+43-082\scenproc_osm_data\scenproc_osm_data0_0.osm F:\Program Files\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\Orthophotos\+40-090\+43-082\BI_12\ADDON_SCENERY\texture

What happens is at the first space the cmd thinks it's done and there is no such program as F:\Program it needs to be quoted.

"F:\Program Files\scenproc_latest_development_release_x64\scenProc.exe" "F:\default.spc" /run "F:\Program Files\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\OSM_data\+40-090\+43-082\scenproc_osm_data\scenproc_osm_data0_0.osm" "F:\Program Files\Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D\Orthophotos\+40-090\+43-082\BI_12\ADDON_SCENERY\texture"

People that do things like make simple folder names without spaces don't have this issue and the program just works.

Oh and since this is trying to run a program - windows does not like that security wise so run Ortho4x as admin too.

Anyways this helped me.  Thanks for the fantastic program for P3D

You should see many windows running resample and scenproc all at the same time

screenshot

Nice! Feel free to submit a pull request on github and I will accept the changes. Any help on development is appreciated 🙂

I want to be able to accept all sorts of slashes for paths in the future. Both / and \ and \\, as this seems to be a huge source of confusion for most users.

PS - changing the python file with this will work if you are running the program with python. It won’t make any difference if you run through the provided .exe though. So the recommendation for users is to use two “\”s until I can get the program to accept any permutation of slashes for paths.

• Upvote 1

Alfredo Terrero

4 hours ago, kjjj11223344 said:

This is on my wishlist to implement.

Hi Alfredo,

Would you mind updating the binaries to run with Python 3.7 like Oscar´s X-Plane version. I would like to try to implement the conversion from JPG to BMP automatically.

Thanks!

After i make my ortho, scenproc does its thing but there is nothing in the texture folder inside the "ADDON SCENERY" folder that Ortho4p3d makes. Any ideas?

19 hours ago, p3disme631 said:

After i make my ortho, scenproc does its thing but there is nothing in the texture folder inside the "ADDON SCENERY" folder that Ortho4p3d makes. Any ideas?

What does your screnproc .spc file say as the destination folder for the autogen? That's where the autogen will be written. It will say something like:

EXPORTAGN|P3D v2|C:\Users\cwbur\Documents\Autogen\Bulgaria\Texture

And that's where you'll find the scenproc output.

Edited by cwburnett

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

13 hours ago, cwburnett said:

What does your screnproc .spc file say as the destination folder for the autogen? That's where the autogen will be written. It will say something like:

Where do i find the scenproc.spc? its not in my scenproc install location

13 hours ago, cwburnett said:

This is what i have in the certificate file. at the bottom is says EXPORTAGN|FSX|@1@ Do i need to change that to p3d? and take out the @1@ and set it to a path?

5 hours ago, p3disme631 said:

This is what i have in the certificate file. at the bottom is says EXPORTAGN|FSX|@1@ Do i need to change that to p3d? and take out the @1@ and set it to a path?

You need to run scenproc and set it up and when you're in there, you need to open up the config file (the .spc file is just a "scenprocconfig" file). When you setup scenproc you need to configure it for your version of P3D or FSX, but P3Dv2 is I think the latest version for autogen production.

Make sure you have followed these instructions "To create autogen with ScenProc" on this page https://github.com/stackTom/Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D -- you need to scroll down and read all the instructions.

Sorry, I run ScenProc separately, so that's why I can't answer your specific question.

• Like 1

Question: rebuilding tiles.

When rebuilding tiles - such as after you've post-processed the .bmp files - do you need to complete all 5 steps under the "batch build tiles" menu again?

That's:

- Assemble vector data

- Triangulate 3D mesh

- Draw water masks

- Build imagery/DSF

- Build for ESP

My major problem is that the "assemble vector data" step is often slow these days, due to the OSM map servers rejecting queries. It would be great to able to skip this step and use the already-created data in the OSM_data folder (.osm.bz files). 

However:

1. If I don't select this step, the ESP scenery is not created properly (error message about an empty area)

2. If I do select this step, it only reuses a small amount of the existing data (I think the airport data says it's recycled), whereas most is downloaded again via "Attempting to download OSM data from 48, 0.25 to 48.25, 0.5" etc.

The triangulate mesh step and water masks is OK, it's mainly this first step that is problematic and which I want to eliminate if possible. The orthoscenery bmp files are reused and it's obviously necessary to run the "build for ESP" step again anyway.

Any thoughts on this? I've been doing a bit of rebuilding post-processed areas this week, and my current workflow is far from optimal.

Cheers!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

My major problem is that the "assemble vector data" step is often slow these days, due to the OSM map servers rejecting queries. It would be great to able to skip this step and use the already-created data in the OSM_data folder (.osm.bz files). 

Rob, when I do what you're describing, my O4XP reuses the osm files, so something different with your setup. Do you have a Base Folder setup?  My step 1 and step 2 complete in 60 seconds for a grid I've already downloaded.

Here's what I see when I re-run a grid...

Batch build launched for a number of 1 tiles.
Dealing with tile  1 / 1 : +41+027

Step 1 : Building vector data for tile +41+027 : 
--------

-> Dealing with airports
    * Recycling OSM data from ..\OSM_data\+40+020\+41+027\+41+027_airports.osm.bz2
   LTBU   Tekirdağ Çorlu Atatürk Airport                               1 runway , lat= 41.14, lon= 27.91
   Loading elevation data and smoothing it over airports.
    * Min altitude: -5.0 , Max altitude: 1026.0 , Mean: 204.62967
   Auto-patched 1 runway and 5 pieces of taxiway.
   Flattened 33 helipads.
   Number of edges at this point: 1090
-> Dealing with roads
    * Recycling OSM data from ..\OSM_data\+40+020\+41+027\+41+027_big_roads.osm.bz2
    * Checking which large roads need levelling.
    * Buffering banked road network as multipolygon.
      Encoding it.
    * Encoding the remaining primary road network as linestrings.
   Number of edges at this point: 32463
-> Dealing with coastline
    * Recycling OSM data from ..\OSM_data\+40+020\+41+027\+41+027_coastline.osm.bz2
    * Encoding coastline.
    * Reconstructing its topology.
      Found  3 contiguous patch(es).
   Number of edges at this point: 32887
-> Dealing with inland water
    * Recycling OSM data from ..\OSM_data\+40+020\+41+027\+41+027_water.osm.bz2
    * Building water multipolygon.
      *  Marmara Denizi will be masked like the sea due to its large area of 11179 km^2.
      Cleaning it.
      Encoding it.
      Separate treatment for larger pieces requiring masks.
      Encoding them.
   Number of edges at this point: 61537
-> Inserting edges related to the orthophotos grid
-> Inserting additional boundary edges for gluing
-> Transcription to the files  S:/Apps/Ortho4XP_Data\zOrtho4XP_+41+027\Data+41+027.poly and .node

Final number of constrained edges : 73517

Completed in 42.00sec.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 2 : Building mesh for tile +41+027 : 
--------

-> Modifying curv_tol weight map according to runway locations.
-> Modifying curv_tol weight map according to coastline location.
    * Recycling OSM data from ..\OSM_data\+40+020\+41+027\+41+027_coastline.osm.bz2
-> Start of the mesh algorithm Triangle4XP.
   Loading altitudes from DEM file.

Loading curv_tol geographic weights.

Computing curvatures from altitudes.

Constructing Delaunay triangulation by divide-and-conquer method.

Recovering segments in Delaunay triangulation.

Spreading regional attributes.

Adding Steiner points to enforce quality.

Computing altitude and normal maps.

Node file S:/Apps/Ortho4XP_Data\zOrtho4XP_+41+027\Data+41+027.1.node written to disk.

Tri file  S:/Apps/Ortho4XP_Data\zOrtho4XP_+41+027\Data+41+027.1.ele  written to disk.

Statistics:

Input vertices: 71374

Input segments: 73517

Input holes: 0

Mesh vertices: 201,853

-----------------

Mesh triangles: ---> 395,363

-----------------

Mesh edges: 597215

Mesh exterior boundary edges: 8341

Mesh interior boundary edges: 78983

Mesh subsegments (constrained edges): 87324

-> Loading of the mesh computed by Triangle4XP.
-> Post processing of altitudes according to vector data
   Smoothing inland water.
   Smoothing of sea water.
   Treatment of airports, roads and patches.
-> Writing output nodes file.
-> Writing final mesh to the file S:/Apps/Ortho4XP_Data\zOrtho4XP_+41+027\Data+41+027.mesh

Completed in 20.77sec.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 3 : Building DSF/Imagery for tile +41+027 : 
--------

-> Initializing providers with potential data on this tile.
-> Opening download queue.
-> Computing the pool quadtree
     Number of buckets: 64
     Average depth: 3.0 , Average bucket size: 3155.734375
     Largest depth: 3
Process interrupted
Process interrupted

0gh96rn.png