Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

P3D v4 worth the investment in my case?

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The difference between 4.5 and 5.0 is 11%. So instead of 25fps you would get 28. That isn't much of a return for the money you would spend. Your system is good enough to benefit from a 1080 or 1080i especially if you want to run at UHD. You don't say what res which is really important.

RAM is easily upgraded and has minimal impact on fps. 16Gb is fine. I agree with you. Save you money until the benefits are greater especially as VAS is not an issue.

I find this comment to be just a little offensive.

Ray, let me send you the settings I use so we can do a side by side hardware performance comparison - a race if you will. 

Assuming you have both the Orbx Nor and So Cal scenery; Flightbeam's SFO; the FSDreamteam LAX; the PMDG 747; ASN -using 5 cloud layers with minimum cloud draw distance at 100 mi. and enough ai for believable immersion. We start at dawn, SFO 28L. The aircraft will require us to trim and prep an identical flight plan to LAX.

I do run 8xMSAA augmented with 4xSGSS through NVI, but don't worry I won't make you run NVI, I do however run TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and would expect you to do the same. The only other config tweak i run is FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10, but you can run what ever you like.

Now I'm gonna bet you lunch that I'll be half way to L.A. enjoying the sun rise over the Sierra's with their shadows extending onto the sharp clear textures of the Central Valley 30,000 ft below before you can even begin to start your take-off roll.

FPS? It's about time and space.

.....My hardware specs are below

-Cheers

@FunknNasty,

Offensive? 🙄 Are you serious?

I have the two airports and AS16/ASCA. None of the rest.

Sorry but you would lose the race and by a considerable margin. Why? Because I have Concorde. 😃 Even subsonic it’s 100mph faster than a Boeing 747. 😄

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FunknNasty,

Offensive? 🙄 Are you serious?

I have the two airports and AS16/ASCA. None of the rest.

Sorry but you would lose the race and by a considerable margin. Why? Because I have Concorde. 😃 Even subsonic it’s 100mph faster than a Boeing 747. 😄

LOL ...You had me for a second,.but the bet says 747!

14 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

LOL ...You had me for a second,.but the bet says 747!

Old and slow. Bit like me really. 😀 Don’t have that aircraft, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry but you would lose the race and by a considerable margin. Why? Because I have Concorde.

LOL!!!

fly safe

• Upvote 1

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

14 hours ago, duckbilled said:

Waiting for V5 may be the right choice, but I am running v4 nicely with a 4790k. I recently upgraded to a 1080ti and a 32" 4k monitor. The increased resolution has allowed me to drop AA, so I saw a significant performance increase.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I upgraded from a GTX980 - seems like a key fact in this discussion.

Edited by duckbilled

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Thanks for all your comments and thoughts! You helped me greatly with my decision.

There's no doubt P3D v4 is in many ways better product than v3. It's also the latest iteration of the product line (in a way) I'm using for decades and I was always using the latest and greatest, there was just no any other way of doing things. After a thorough deliberation I decided the most sane decision right now would be to stay with v3. Upgrade cost was a minor factor, what effected my decision the most is my current hardware. I know I would be able to run v4 but after doing a bit of research on dynamic lighting I found out that some developers like PMDG (I fly NGX a lot for example) are abandoning legacy lighting in favor of dynamic lighting so in some cases right now and probably many more in the future I'd be forced to use dynamic lighting which would most definitely result in much worse performance with my current hardware in the same "fully loaded" situation as in v3. Since OOMs are also not an issue for me in v3 I think I'll be better off with simply staying with it for another year or so until v5 is released and I get myself a new computer. Let me tell you, it was hard to make such decision because kid in me of course wants the latest and greatest, the newest and the best.

I already started installing v3 and all my addons. I think I need a couple of days vacation just to install everything and than many more for flying.

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2018 at 4:59 AM, 0Artur0 said:

Is there anybody with i7 4790k @ 4.5GHZ, GTX970 and 8GB of RAM that switched from v3 to v4?

This is exactly what I have and v4 runs better than v3, especially with more autogen. I was able to try v4 knowing that I would be able to return it within 60 days if I did not like it. I purchased it, gave it a try, and uninstalled v3.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

This is exactly what I have and v4 runs better than v3, especially with more autogen. I was able to try v4 knowing that I would be able to return it within 60 days if I did not like it. I purchased it, gave it a try, and uninstalled v3.

Do you fly PMDG planes?

8 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Do you fly PMDG planes?

Yup, the 737. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

Yup, the 737. 

So you get better performance with 737 on a payware airport with dynamic lighting on in v4 that you'd get in the same situation in v3 with GTX970? Really?

19 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

So you get better performance with 737 on a payware airport with dynamic lighting on in v4 that you'd get in the same situation in v3 with GTX970? Really?

I don't use dynamic lighting or payware airports. I do use Orbx, REX, and ASN as well. Generally speaking the performance has been somewhat better in v4. It might be worth just trying it out and if it does not work as you would like, just return v4 to Lockheed Martin and get a refund. Totally up to you. Hope this helps.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

14 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

I don't use dynamic lighting or payware airports. I do use Orbx, REX, and ASN as well. Generally speaking the performance has been somewhat better in v4. It might be worth just trying it out and if it does not work as you would like, just return v4 to Lockheed Martin and get a refund. Totally up to you. Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks!

On 8/1/2018 at 12:21 PM, 0Artur0 said:

Based on your specs and performance described in your about me section I'm not worried anymore about performance.

One question about dynamic lighting.. if I turn it off, do I than get the same lighting as in v3? Do addons like FSFX Immersion packages and other that effect lighting work as in v3 with it turned off or do some require dynamic lighting to be turned on? Because with GTX970 I don't think I can use dynamic lighting - and I do fly almost exclusively on addon airports with addon aircraft using ORBX stuff with Active Sky and all those thing.. and also TrackIR so FPS in low 20s are not really an option because head movements become to "stuttery" and no joy to fly.

Oh, man, I'm even more confused that I was before. Now, I'm seriously considering switching 🙂 Oh, my...

Well, there are at least 410 reasons not to switch from an updated fsx, to an updated version of an updated fsx.

one scan of topics is p3d forum yields a lot of “i have some sort of performance issue” headlines. 

Imho each subforum defends its own software. I think you better compare other versions and platforms on youtube or something like that. 

If v3 tuns fine for you, id stick with that. V4 doenst bring the wow factor imho, it still looks basically the same as a addon laden fsx. (I have put more that € 1000,00 into it And upgraded to the latest and greatest pc hardware and in the end still dumped the whole platform) 

i have been flying since i was 13 and living for 43 years. The world just doesnt look like it does in p3d in my experience. ( thank god)

not to mention the repeated version upgrade hassle and cost. 

Again, for 410€, please go look elsewhere for information and decide based on your own experiences, not someplace where maybe no or little criticism towards the involved platform is given. Its your money, not somebody else’s. 

-roland

-Roland

5 minutes ago, sparkie66 said:

Well, there are at least 410 reasons not to switch from an updated fsx, to an updated version of an updated fsx.

one scan of topics is p3d forum yields a lot of “i have some sort of performance issue” headlines. 

Imho each subforum defends its own software. I think you better compare other versions and platforms on youtube or something like that. 

If v3 tuns fine for you, id stick with that. V4 doenst bring the wow factor imho, it still looks basically the same as a addon laden fsx. (I have put more that € 1000,00 into it And upgraded to the latest and greatest pc hardware and in the end still dumped the whole platform) 

i have been flying since i was 13 and living for 43 years. The world just doesnt look like it does in p3d in my experience. ( thank god)

not to mention the repeated version upgrade hassle and cost. 

Again, for 410€, please go look elsewhere for information and decide based on your own experiences, not someplace where maybe no or little criticism towards the involved platform is given. Its your money, not somebody else’s. 

-roland

There are performance issues topics in FSX, P3D, Xplane,... forums. I don't know of simulator where somebody doesn't have performance issues.

I  invested considerably more than 1000€ in FSX and P3D addons over the years. P3D is not perfect but is still the best flight simulator one can get in my opinion. XP11 is on a good road to also became one but since I don't own any addons for XP11 and I own hundreds of addons for P3D I'll probably stay with it until developers decide all the addons from this version forward are a completely new purchase. Than I'll reconsider my sim of choice.

I know perfectly well that in P3D forums people will be biased towards P3D and in Xplane forums towards Xplane 🙂 But I was wondering about P3D v3 and v4 after all and not about two completely different sims.

Thanks for your thought though.