Sign in to follow this  
tfm

747 at Kai Tak: overall experience 6 years on

I couldn't find a simple before and after comparison so I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is curious.

After a break from FSX of 6 or 7 years I recently started again from scratch with P3D running on up-to-date kit (8086K all cores running at 5GHz, 4GHz RAM (very important) and a 1080ti with 4K output) using the usual addon models and scenery and weather engine optimised for P3Dv4.3.

As an acid test of how things have changed since I was last involved, FlyTampa Kai Tak v2 on the old Rwy 13 approach in PMDG's newest 747-400 is completely transformed: a whole new level of fidelity, detail, smoothness and fluidity with FPS hovering closer to 60Hz than 30Hz using VSync and triple buffering. By way of comparison, using cutting-edge kit about 6 years ago, as I recall, it was a struggle (involving big compromises on the sliders) to get to 20Hz. I have found the same is true of other heavy airports: EGLL and EDDF (MegaAirport Pro) and KLAX and KJFK (FSDT) but it's at Kai Tak that you really need the smoothness and, finally, it's achievable. The level of immersion is now very impressive throughout the sim. It is no longer the frustrating experience of 6/7 years ago.

I have the same CPU. What motherboard and cooling are you using to drive it to 5Ghx?

Actually it's at 5.1GHz to be precise.

Motherboard = Asus Maximus X Code

Cooler = Noctua DH15

I have to admit I am curious as to what your CPU temps are running 5.1Ghz on an air cooler. I have my 7700K clocked to 5.1Ghz and it is always around 45C, but that is with a custom loop.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

2 hours ago, N405GJ said:

I have to admit I am curious as to what your CPU temps are running 5.1Ghz on an air cooler. I have my 7700K clocked to 5.1Ghz and it is always around 45C, but that is with a custom loop.

I have an 8700K @ 5.3 ghz. 27c idle 50's full load. Hyperthreading off. 

5 hours ago, davidzill said:

I have an 8700K @ 5.3 ghz. 27c idle 50's full load. Hyperthreading off. 

What kind of cooler are you using, David?

2 minutes ago, harvester21 said:

See his signature

ZORAN

1 minute ago, zmak said:

See his signature

Wow, I need more coffee... I read your signature and completely missed it the first time... disregard :)

9 hours ago, N405GJ said:

38-50C in normal use, 80-98C under P3D. I’m sure there’s some throttling going on, but it doesn’t seem noticeable in the sim.

Edited by tfm

Have you guys tried delidding? Its now safe with all the delid tools currently available. It did wonders to my CPU temps. Around 20c drop.

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

Wow no I’ve never thought it worthwhile but 20C is huge.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:45 AM, harvester21 said:

Wow, I need more coffee... I read your signature and completely missed it the first time... disregard 🙂

Ditto here too!

On 8/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, snapshot21 said:

Have you guys tried delidding? Its now safe with all the delid tools currently available. It did wonders to my CPU temps. Around 20c drop.

I thought the i7-8086K was already no need to de-lid?

20 hours ago, vc10man said:

Ditto here too!

I thought the i7-8086K was already no need to de-lid? 

I've read that the 8086K is just an 8700K that has gone through tighter test specs.  It's advertised to hit 5GHz but only on one core, you might get lucky and find one that does that on all cores but that is just luck of the draw.  Were I to do my 8700K build over I would definitely delid!  Right now I'm stuck with stock turbo speeds of 4.7GHz to keep things below 70C.  Another 20C would be HUUUGE!

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for that heads-up, Dan,but having never de-lidded, would not want to take the gamble and blow a $400 CPU. Maybe I will just stick to the 5GHz.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:40 AM, harvester21 said:

Kraken X62 with puish/pull fans