Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Is VR blurry?

Years of Karate have taken their toll......

To be honest, I was the last year of school here in the UK that "thought" in ft and inches... so generationally I'm one of them....

I need reading glasses only in low light for now. Otherwise, still a hawk!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

In terms of timescale, I'd go with a good prescription and get some of those snap in lenses. A lot less hassle than damaging your own glasses and/or the Oculus lenses! 

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Yes Mark, that's the way I'm heading. Got an appointment tomorrow to see the optician.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

@Ron,

If you have tried various settings with OTT and get the same result, then it must not really be having any affect at all. The difference with P3D having no SS and having it set at 1.5 ( my suggestion - any higher and P3D will really slow down ) is very noticeable - especially in the cockpit and somewhat for the scenery. Use the Visual HUD option of OTT to actually measure the settings.

Dave W

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I've finally finished with Flyinside  and think native P3D performance is better if you do it right.

Steps:

1. P3D settings to vsync on and unlimited
  2. Put all settings on minimum including HDR off shadows off and check performance
  3. FPS will lock to either 90fps, 45fps, 30fps or 22.5 fps because these are vsync multiples of 90 (native refresh)
  4. Don't fight the fps, let it lock to one of those combinations. It depends on scenery load. It happens because of vsync.
  5. Add settings one by one and recheck performance each change. FPS may not change until it suddenly reverts from one of the FPS multiples.
  6. OTT setting at least 1.5
  7. Get eyes checked if still blurry.

Do that and you can have a very happy time on Rift but you need decent hardware CPU>4GHz and at least a 1070.

Expect performance similar to that if you were running a 4K monitor but visual details are not set as high because they don't need to be.

Edited by glider1

12 hours ago, glider1 said:

7:Get eyes checked if still blurry.

Done that and it turns out I was in denial about my 'walking about' vision. Glasses will be ready next Thursday. The optician (they;re starting to call themselves optometrists over here as well) knew about VR and actually uses one, so a bit of a rapport was built up. I have great hopes.

Dave, thanks for the input. Actually, you've all been very helpful.

I did revert to TIR for P3D, but only for about 10 minutes! :wacko:

On 8/28/2018 at 10:32 AM, MarkJHarris said:

I read that Oculus' development Half Dome prototype with variable focus driven by eye tracking is the way forward. it looks at what you are looking at and adjusts the focus to match the distance of the object in your view. Very clever. The REAL clever bit is when they perfect it and then realise they can feed in individual eye prescriptions and change the view to make the device compensate for most eye problems. Glasses without glasses as it were. Can't wait!

I'm betting in a few years we'll look back on discussions like this, and laugh at the fact we wore big bulky contraptions to replicate VR where now (talking in future tense) we put on a device as compact as the glasses we wear now (well some of us anyway), and they auto-correct any ocular maladies the user has (much like what you refer to Mark).

And in a few decades maybe, we'll be dropping contacts into our eyes that will give us the full VR experience. :blink: 

I haven't jumped on the VR train just yet....but I'm anxiously waiting at the station...letting the steam, electric and diesel trains go by...waiting for the MagLev train to pull in. :smile:  

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

There's a basic philosophic point here about waiting.

Think how much fun you've missed while you wait to get on? The CV1 is OK. a lot better than the DK2 I had before, and the 1080 is a big leap from the 980 I previously used. I've had FS4 upwards and missed a few versions and been with FSX since the beginning. Flyinside and loads of extras. Went to the Steam version to see if it was better and only went P3D V4 recently. If I'd have waited for a really good setup, I'd still be waiting and missed out on years of fun.

The Half Dome I referred to uses motorised variable focus units within the unit in place of the current large lenses. To keep light pollution out, the current form factor makes more sense than lightweight glasses. If it added AR functionality, then IMHO, a pair of 4K cameras would be better employed than making it see through.

Where it really gets interesting is the small camera that look back at your eyes, to determine where in the field of view you are looking, to work out the required focal length to set to give the right view. It's fascinating technology and shows a very deep understanding of the problems and a practical solution to resolving it. The ability to correct a majority of eye problems is a bonus, I'm sure they'll work on once it's perfected.  

With Ray tracing, (no use to me at present as I've gone mobile and the heat solution in a laptop is not going to happen any time soon to a GPU pulling 125W), a further enhancement to the visual imagery is in sight (bad pun- sorry).

I retire in about 16 years. When I do I think I'll be more than able to get my kicks on a personal synthetic flight device at home.   

Edited by MarkJHarris

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

5 hours ago, MarkJHarris said:

There's a basic philosophic point here about waiting.

Think how much fun you've missed while you wait to get on? The CV1 is OK. a lot better than the DK2 I had before, and the 1080 is a big leap from the 980 I previously used. I've had FS4 upwards and missed a few versions and been with FSX since the beginning. Flyinside and loads of extras. Went to the Steam version to see if it was better and only went P3D V4 recently. If I'd have waited for a really good setup, I'd still be waiting and missed out on years of fun.

The Half Dome I referred to uses motorised variable focus units within the unit in place of the current large lenses. To keep light pollution out, the current form factor makes more sense than lightweight glasses. If it added AR functionality, then IMHO, a pair of 4K cameras would be better employed than making it see through.

Where it really gets interesting is the small camera that look back at your eyes, to determine where in the field of view you are looking, to work out the required focal length to set to give the right view. It's fascinating technology and shows a very deep understanding of the problems and a practical solution to resolving it. The ability to correct a majority of eye problems is a bonus, I'm sure they'll work on once it's perfected.  

With Ray tracing, (no use to me at present as I've gone mobile and the heat solution in a laptop is not going to happen any time soon to a GPU pulling 125W), a further enhancement to the visual imagery is in sight (bad pun- sorry).

I retire in about 16 years. When I do I think I'll be more than able to get my kicks on a personal synthetic flight device at home.   

I know what you mean about waiting Mark.

I'm pretty sure I'm all in at the next resolution bump, and since I've waited this long, I've been lurking and learning what I can about it from the "station platform" hehe.

My current visual solution is not bad at all...running a 55" 4k monitor on an 8700k and Titan, it's hard to complain that I've got it bad. 😉

One Omen that lead me to that decision to wait was that I was literally sleeping on the buy decision I made for the Samsung for $3xx (can't remember the price exactly), and the next morning when I woke and decided to buy the price went up like $150.

I retire in about 10 years, and by then I hope we both can be flying around in our personal synthetic flight devices, LOL.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Nice setup. I can confirm though, that no matter how big your monitor, once you put an Oculus or Vive on your head, you'll enter a world you will be annoyed you denied yourself for so long!

I could NEVER fly a Helicopter in FSX or X-Plane. Simply impossible. With a Rift on, it's easy. (bit like the real thing but safer!!). That should tell you enough. When I do a low pass in a fast jet and pull up into the circuit, a look over my shoulder gives my stomach a definite "G" sensation, and a smile on my face. You're in a synthetic world still, very much, but it really is a far better place even now than any 2D flat image can ever be. 

Our real problem is interaction. It's still in its infancy. The Oculus solution is OK, knocks the Leap motion back to its box for sure, but primary flight controls and swapping between them is a pain. Haptic Gloves are still a good year or two from being good enough.

Finally, RTX. The elephant in the room. The 2080RTX  is a very amazing card, the programs that will bring Ray Tracing to Flight Sim visuals though, we'll have to wait for....

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

In VR, not being able to pull out of a loop in time puts a whole new complexion on 'crash'. :ohmy: I'm talking DCS here, where you pay for your mistakes!

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

n VR, not being able to pull out of a loop in time puts a whole new complexion on 'crash'. :ohmy: I'm talking DCS here, where you pay for your mistakes!

Yes Ron crashing in to the back of carrier in the f-18 is not fun in dcs world.

Ron if you are using glasses with your vr  please get some lens protectors as i scratched my htc vive.

My solution for glasses is the htv vive pro as they have made cutouts for glasses users.but that is an expensive option.

If the glasses help you i would consider getting the lens inserts as it will make getting the head set on and off easier. 

My you call the ball and hit the 3 third wire, fly on and have fun in vr.

Regards Ted Kiser

Get my new glasses on Thursday and if they make a difference, I'll get the VR Optician Rift inserts.

Little update: Got my new glasses and they do make a difference, but not as big a difference as I'd hoped. I have done a few tweaks to the graphics settings(don't ask what they were!)  Anyway, whipping various glasses on and off got a bit old very quickly so I've ordered the VR Optician adapters.

Despite the not TOO many drawbacks of VR, there is no going back!

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Anyway, whipping various glasses on and off got a bit old very quickly so I've ordered the VR Optician adapters.

One day, these headsets will auto adjust for an individual's particular eyesight, but today is not that day...... Unfortunately.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5