Sign in to follow this  
mdrandle1

FSX vs Acceleration

I know this has been discussed many times but i can not find the answer so i need some help.

Im currently running FSX/SP1 & 2.

Thinking of switching to Acceleration.

My question is- On acceleration, i know there is a setting of engine stress causes damage. This is not a setting with regular FSX. So, will the gauges actually be more true and realistic, or will they stay in the green always? 

For instance- if i run at full power during or after takeoff for extended periods of time, will it cause the engine to over torque or lose power? 

During flight can there be something mechanically go wrong or do you still have to set all this up under failures? 

Im just trying to figure out how much more realistic acceleration will be before i spend the money and lots of time re-installing all my scenerys and such.

Please advise and Thank you in advance.

Randle,

If you prefer to stick with FSX, I recommend switching FSX Steam addition; that version is a slightly improved version of FSX Acceleration.  Concerning your question, acceleration will not act any differently than FSX SP1 and SP2. 

• Like 1

Matt King

Thank you. Is there a way to make the power settings to cause damage just in normal flight? Just trying to make it much more realistic.

2 minutes ago, mdrandle1 said:

Thank you. Is there a way to make the power settings to cause damage just in normal flight? Just trying to make it much more realistic.

No; however, there are some third party aircraft that model that feature.  PMDG J41 comes immediately to mind, but others exist too...

Matt King

Like I answered over at the other site, adding Acceleration will give a few extra aircraft like the FA-18 and the P-51.  The P-51 is a racing aircraft and the engine will blow up if pushed too hard.  I heartily recommend aircraft from Milton Shupe or Manfred Jahn for the features you seek.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Finding standalone acceleration for a decent price might be the trick. I wasn't able to do it, and gave up and just switched to Steam edition.

To make it more realistic, you'll need to move away from the default airplanes, which are anything but realistic in just about any respect.

If the plane you're flying models it properly, you can cause engine damage. Of course, simulations of newer planes equipped with FADEC change that - you won't be able to damage them because FADEC won't let you -- although some addon planes fail to model this properly and you end up in the red when you shouldn't be!

Best bet is to choose what planes you fly carefully, and with relatively few exceptions, don't expect free/cheap addon planes to get the details right all the time.

Charles- I agree. Everything that I fly is payware. I have over 2 dozen planes. Only the A2A aircraft with accusim fly the way I want. I was just hoping that I wasn't missing anything with Accel. Thank you very much for you input

Very Bumpy- Thank. Ill try that.

If you do not already have the Acceleration disc and must purchase it, I would highly recommend that you purchase FSX Steam Edition.  FSX:SE is FSX:Accel with improvements to better manage how it utilizes computer memory.  This leads to a bit smoother simulation and fewer issues with running out of available memory.  FSX and FSX:SE are 32-bit programs and as such are limited to a maximum of 4GB of memory usage.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

And plus you can get FSXSE for under 10 bucks on Steam during sales (one of which if I recall is happening now and ends today), whereas most of the Accel standalone discs I've found are at least 50 bucks, and some are north of $100. Insanity.

You're not missing much with Accel. The only reason I upgraded is because there's a really good freeware MV-22 Osprey in development that requires it. I went over a decade without it and was perfectly happy.

If you don't have a specific reason, then what I would do in your shoes is buy FSXSE when it's on sale and then just sit on it until you need it. There are some improvements, but there are also some annoyances that have been introduced, such as over-the-top warning boxes if you launch the sim via another program that sets your plane/location parameters.

1 hour ago, mdrandle1 said:

Very Bumpy- Could you send me the file by chance? It will not let me in for the link you sent me 

It would be best to get the link to the document fixed.  The link works fine for me.  There may be restrictions with the developer in distributing the file.  VeryBumpy cannot give out his e-mail address in the forums and can only use the AVSIM PM system to correspond with you privately.  The PM system does not have a method to send files between individuals other than using OneDrive, Google, or Cloud.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm just going to chime in and mention A2A's Accu-Feel addon for FSX and FSX:SE. While its default realism settings doesn't take if far enough IMO for default aircraft (or non accusim ones), its settings for air, land and water realism can be tweaked on a case -by- case basis. I've Found it's water settings in particular to be quite real for aquatic physics and dynamics that effect seaplanes. Not every 3rd party aircraft is happy with it though and I've had to turn off sections for some and in a few cases with fan-made aircraft, turn it off entirely.  It does require you to disable the "aircraft damage causes stress" global realism setting, which could potentially impact some of the more realistic modeled aircraft.

Edited by Kronovan