Sign in to follow this  
r_stopnicki

"SEATBELTS OFF" message always stays on (747-8)

16 minutes ago, keight said:

do you have a SEATBELTS OFF memo on EICAS when switch the selector to OFF in flight?

He was referring to an actual bug in panel state handling. He's not referring to the realistic memo that you are referring to.

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, ph-cxz said:

@scandinavian13 are the panel states used in the 748 shared with the 744. As I did not see this bug on the 744.

Correct - they should be okay, but it looks like some of the handling of switch positions got thrown off on the internal code.

Kyle Rodgers

I’m making a flight in the -8 now and I’m seeing both On and Off, I read through that this is a bug and will be fixed sometime?

Thanks 

Jack Sawyer

53 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I read through that this is a bug and will be fixed sometime?

Somewhat. The handling is being revised to make it more bulletproof, but the general rule of thumb is that panel states with old versions of the plane aren't 100% compatible with the new version, so, simply delete the old ones and recreate them.

Kyle Rodgers

5 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Somewhat. The handling is being revised to make it more bulletproof, but the general rule of thumb is that panel states with old versions of the plane aren't 100% compatible with the new version, so, simply delete the old ones and recreate them.

Thanks Kyle but this entire PC has a brand new Windows Pro install, P3D 4.4 and the latest PMDG planes.  Not one old panel state within a light year of this PC.

Jack Sawyer

May I add that this behavior in my opinion got introduced with the micro update feature. I would rather have that the old panelstates got deleted by the updater and or overwritten with the ones in the update. I don’t know how hard that is to program in.

50 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

May I add that this behavior in my opinion got introduced with the micro update feature. I would rather have that the old panelstates got deleted by the updater and or overwritten with the ones in the update. I don’t know how hard that is to program in.

Problem here is you might prefer that the updater does that. Somebody else for some reason might want to keep the old panel states. So then what do you do.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

Problem here is you might prefer that the updater does that. Somebody else for some reason might want to keep the old panel states. So then what do you do.

But that‘s actually the point of an update, updating the addon to a current state. I can deal with something nit working correctly in general but on my system it‘s just fine or I‘m used to it, now there‘s an update that will just change that. If I never had the intention to use Global Flight Ops, why should I want to constantly have to log into ACARS? FS2Crew uses the 3rd CDU for doors and stuff, I have to be quick „down there“. I would like to keep it. But an update changed this, should it have asked me first for everything it updates? It was updated for a reason and so should, if possible, the panel states. Some developers notify you that they will rebuild the aircraft.cfg so backup your viewpoint and liveries... backup is everything in FS. 

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

But that‘s actually the point of an update, updating the addon to a current state. I can deal with something nit working correctly in general but on my system it‘s just fine or I‘m used to it, now there‘s an update that will just change that. If I never had the intention to use Global Flight Ops, why should I want to constantly have to log into ACARS? FS2Crew uses the 3rd CDU for doors and stuff, I have to be quick „down there“. I would like to keep it. But an update changed this, should it have asked me first for everything it updates? It was updated for a reason and so should, if possible, the panel states. Some developers notify you that they will rebuild the aircraft.cfg so backup your viewpoint and liveries... backup is everything in FS. 

Slight problem, with most updates, there's no user customization involved, unlike the panel states, where somebody could have changed it to whatever it was they wanted. By that logic, should the 747 have overwritten any previous navigation data that was already installed?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 minute ago, Captain Kevin said:

Slight problem, with most updates, there's no user customization involved, unlike the panel states, where somebody could have changed it to whatever it was they wanted. By that logic, should the 747 have overwritten any previous navigation data that was already installed?

My own panel states are called "Marc Long", "Marc short", "Marc CD".. They don't get changed, deleted, corrupted, except by the changes made to the system logics. But the PMDG states could be updated without me being involved in any way. Of course that's not possible with the AIRAC cycles. But when there are PMDG-default options and the possibility to save own names and states I really see no reason to exclude them. 

For example I have changed the display colours of the FSL Airbus slightly for a better contrast on my TV screen that I use for the PC. I simplay couldn't see the flight director bars. That's an ini-file that gets changed when FSL update the airbus. Also I didn't like the default viewpoint in the VC that is shifted to the center a bit, I centered it just over the seat so I see the airplane like I was sitting in it. n VR and with TrackIR it would look strange otherwise. The aircraft.cfg gets updated too of course. So I have to manually change these values after every update. And this strikes files that simplay NEED to be updated. There is no point in checking with the customers if they agree to update them. But at the same time addons often include files that are custom created, like PMDG does with the livery-saved equipment. They normally don't touch these files, which is fine. And in today's complex addons it's just common to be addon/dev specific with options and habits. Therefore we get intro manuals that explain things we have to take care about. Like backups. 

14 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thanks Kyle but this entire PC has a brand new Windows Pro install, P3D 4.4 and the latest PMDG planes.  Not one old panel state within a light year of this PC.

CDU MENU KEY > PMDG SETUP > PANEL STATE LOAD

Are there panel states listed? Also: is there a default panel state set, or are you loading a panel state when this happens?

Kyle Rodgers

4 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

CDU MENU KEY > PMDG SETUP > PANEL STATE LOAD

Are there panel states listed? Also: is there a default panel state set, or are you loading a panel state when this happens?

Despite flying the -8 as I type this, I see:

<744 CLDDRK

<744DEFAULT

<744 LONG

<744 SHORT

<PREVIOUS FLIGHT.FXML

<PROGRAM GENERATED TEMPO

I guess it loads with Default as I don’t load a panel state.

On the EICAS I see just SEATBELTS OFF right now.

Jack Sawyer

Just now, Jack_Sawyer said:

On the EICAS I see just SEATBELTS OFF right now.

Are they actually off?

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Are they actually off?

The switch on the pedestal is in Auto right now.

If I turn it to off I still have the SEATBELTS OFF message.

If I turn it to on I have both as:

SEATBELTS OFF

SEATBELTS ON

Jack Sawyer