Zimmerbz

Skyforce, active sky, tomato shade

I can’t for the life of me come up with a good combo of realistic settings for the above combo. No matter what, blue skies don’t look blue enough and the clouds don’t look thick or white enough.  It is almost as though the look blended into the sky and there is little contrast between sky and cloud. I’ve seen realistic looking pics so I know it can be done. I just started using tomato shade and use rd’s Presets. I switched from pta and that didn’t seem to fix the issue.  Any ideas?  My skyforce settings in terms of the themes are the ones that Chewwy uses. My active sky settings are pretty standard as well. Thanks. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use Envtex/Envshade with AS16 and PTA. Check out my posted screenshots and see if that is close to what you want. 

If so, I can share my settings.

Yeah, that would work.  However, I stopped using pta and don’t have envtex or envshade.  I am using tomato.  Will that make a difference?

1 hour ago, Zimmerbz said:

Yeah, that would work.  However, I stopped using pta and don’t have envtex or envshade.  I am using tomato.  Will that make a difference?

Try ASP4 + ASCA ( clouds only )  + EnvTex ( skies , water , sun , moon , effects ) + PTA ( with my All Months preset set ).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Try ASP4 + ASCA ( clouds only )  + EnvTex ( skies , water , sun , moon , effects ) + PTA ( with my All Months preset set ).

Do you not suggest sky force?  Any chance you can post a screenshot of what that combo looks like?

I do not have Skyforce installed.

Here I use ASP4 + ASCA as I now can use Full Dynamics : up to 8 different cloud textures around me instead of one.

Orbx%20NL%20-%20mod%203.jpg

• Like 1

Gerald, so if Skyforce clouds are used in combination with AS/ASCA, full dynamics aren't being used at all? If Skyforce is disabled, how is the overcast depiction with just AS?

Full Dynamics only works with ASP4.

Without Skyforce , what clouds do you use ?

Regarding OC :

Frankfurt%20-%20FTX%20Germany%20-%201%20

49 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Here I use ASP4 + ASCA as I now can use Full Dynamics : up to 8 different cloud textures around me instead of one.

Wow, this looks nothing like what I can see.  Do you suggest not using skyforce and then putting in ASCA?

Or maybe somehow skyforce isn’t loading correctly.  My clouds look very default but I am running SF before every flight. 

Try posting at the REX forum...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Do you not suggest sky force?  Any chance you can post a screenshot of what that combo looks like?

Gerard's setup is a lot like mine and the visible results are similar.

Some general pointers:

1) Sky color and cloud color are primarily determined by textures (ASCA, ENVTEX, REX, etc). However, your brightness, saturation and bloom settings in P3D can have significant effects on how those colors are represented.

2) PTA (I dont know about TomatoShade) allows you to fine tune mostly the gamma or contrast of the raster output. 

My main points being:

-Turn off PTA/TomatoShade

-Pick textures, sky and cloud that come close to the colors you want

-Adjust P3D brightness etc to get close to overall "feel"

-Use shader mods to fine tune the relative brightness and contrast of specific objects

Hope this helps

17 hours ago, GSalden said:

Would you be able to make tutorial video how you got them visuals setup? if not maybe step by step written instruction,  this look  stunning  

2 hours ago, ade555 said:

Would you be able to make tutorial video how you got them visuals setup? if not maybe step by step written instruction,  this look  stunning  

That would be awesome.  

On 11/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, Zimmerbz said:

No matter what, blue skies don’t look blue enough and the clouds don’t look thick or white enough.  It is almost as though the look blended into the sky and there is little contrast between sky and cloud.

Something must be wrong with your install: I can get great thick and also white clouds plus blue skies with AS and SF (and PTA).

Just a small part of blue sky here but lots of white clouds:

2018-11-3-13-12-55-980.jpg

Thick clouds:

2018-10-23-19-39-58-327.jpg

Couple shots of mine, still working on it but I don't own AS yet

VKCmtD1.png

x2xunhJ.png

A bit more blue and white. 😉

2018-11-4-11-0-37-652.jpg

2018-11-4-11-7-58-375.jpg

2018-11-4-11-10-13-405.jpg

Edited by J van E

For what it’s worth, I didn’t run sky force and installed ASCA and that gave me much better results.  I might uninstall and reinstall sky force to test or just keep ASCA

When I run ASCA without running SF before starting the sim, it is drastically different/better than when I had SF w/out ASCA.  Do you think uninstalling and then reinstalling SF would be good?  Then I can try using all 3 and see if that looks better?  Ideally I'd be using SF clouds, ASCA sky, and AS weather.  However, it just seems like whenever I ran SF it made it look bad (which shouldn't be the case). 

You might try a reinstall because SF sure doesn't look bad as you make it sound. (Although a screenshot would help to see if something is really wrong.) Imho SF clouds look better than ASCA clouds but that's of course a matter of opinion. If they look worse on your PC then something must be wrong.

I'd reinstall SF to be sure and then mix and match settings until you get to see what YOU want to see. It may well be that the right combo for you is AS and ASCA - as long as you are looking with your eyes no one else can really help you. Jeroen prefers SF clouds and I prefer ASCA - we are both correct for our preferences. From what you've said, I'm guessing you'll prefer ASCA.

Vic