Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

P3D v4.3 Crash Analysis and final result

😄 i know that thread, as you can see last post is mine (tonaz)

At least i am not alone.

i just have to hope for MS to fix this problem. (never going to happen 😄 )

6 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

😄 i know that thread, as you can see last post is mine (tonaz)

At least i am not alone.

i just have to hope for MS to fix this problem. (never going to happen 😄 )

Well from what I can read and I never experienced this problem my self you just format HDD do clean install job done instead of waiting and hoping that MS will sort some sort of update beta bug, 

I think you may be chasing the wrong error message. Very possibly this comes up anyway at some time whatever the apps running. When P3D crashes, this probably just invokes that message. If you could try crashing P3D on purpose that message would probably come up as a result.

I'm not certain I have enough to go on in the description of the setup of Windows and P3D. I would like to know if that's a stock install of Win10 and P3D - is it certain that P3D is stock? If it's not picking up some old stuff, addon dll or scenery files, whatever, then it's worth trying out a few replacement parts - for example: Swap out the memory or GPU for some tests.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hello @SteveW !!

No, unfortunately i have to disagree: EVENT 916 comes up, and P3D crashes after one or two seconds. Not the opposite, never.

In my 600+ test flights i also included a P3D stock install (and every combinations with it), i swapped the memory slots, i swapped the PCI 3.0 slot for the GPU (my mobo got 2 PCI3.0).

The only thing i didn't did is trying on a Windows 10 fresh install. Because to be honest, it is not a valid and sensful option, i mean, Windows 10 get updated anyways to latest version, with latest "features", including beta faulty stuff 🙂 so why reinstall?

Edited by Alberto Zanot

50 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

well, a reinstall is not an option, that beta bugged feature would be there anyways, would you agree?

Well I would say if you do fresh install and make sure is above ver 1709 you should be good. New update don't necessarily mean that the bug will be unistalled or anything, I can tell you 1 thing you chasing this error now 6 months and everything you done till now hasn't solved it. 

Download Windows creator toll let's do its magic save as ISO, download ruffus make bootable USB with uefi and just run new install job done, is not hard, 

1 hour ago, Alberto Zanot said:

Hello @SteveW !!

No, unfortunately i have to disagree: EVENT 916 comes up, and P3D crashes after one or two seconds. Not the opposite, never.

In my 600+ test flights i also included a P3D stock install (and every combinations with it), i swapped the memory slots, i swapped the PCI 3.0 slot for the GPU (my mobo got 2 PCI3.0).

The only thing i didn't did is trying on a Windows 10 fresh install. Because to be honest, it is not a valid and sensful option, i mean, Windows 10 get updated anyways to latest version, with latest "features", including beta faulty stuff 🙂 so why reinstall?

Hi Alberto! 😊

It still could possibly be part of the message chain when P3D crashes so it may well come up before your P3D has crashed message in the log as it may be part of making the logs.

Edited by SteveW

On 11/3/2018 at 5:00 PM, Alberto Zanot said:

Test flights done: 623 tests

This is a Windows10 issue that P3DV4 triggers.  When I have Windows 10 issues I cannot resolve by searching the Internet for a solution, I reinstall Windows, P3DV4.3, and all of my add-ons.  If one is waiting for Microsoft techs to find a solution to this issue or one of the thousands of MVP techs who frequent the Internet with "solutions", you will have to wait a long time as it is rare when they are able to correctly diagnose anything.  There are just too many computer and Windows configurations.  I did a search for "The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000" and there are solutions that worked for many but none I found were the same fix.  One had two anti-virus programs running at the same time and he uninstalled one of them and the problem went away.  The crash scenarios for those reporting this error to Microsoft was not always the same and I did not find others getting this error running P3D.  Some were running other games and some just other software when the error occurred.  Since this appears to be a Windows 10 update related error, I would simply reinstall Windows 10 and move on with your life.  I did this several times a month or two ago when I rebuilt my current system.  I was getting a different error msg after every crash of P3DV4.3.  Sometimes P3D did not crash.  Sometimes P3D crashed two hours out in the flight.  Sometimes soon after loading P3D and during the process of setting up a flight.  Some were BSOD's.  Some were just CTD's.  I followed every suggestion in the AVSIM CTD Guide without success.  I finally found that one memory module out of 4 installed was not working properly.  I have not seen any additional problems since removing this bad module and currently have my system overclocked to 5.0GHz.

I have checked my Event Viewer and see I only received one ESENT error with Event 455.  I have the latest version of Windows 10 installed (V1809, OS Build 17763.55) installed on 4 October.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:00 PM, Alberto Zanot said:

(and reinstalling windows is not an option because this feature will be there again)

You are wrong about this.  There are thousands, including me, who have the latest version of Windows 10 and are not getting this error.  Something happened during an update.  You will never know exactly what.  It is your only option to fix this issue as no one should be working six months trying to find a solution to an error.  You will go insane and conduct over 600 test flights....and still have no solution.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

@Jim,

I am directing this question / comment to you about the steps we should take BEFORE  we do a windows 10 reinstall. Maybe this info - after suitable editing by several of us - should be pinned for this forum title. I just had to reinstall Windows 10 and erroneously thought that my scenario files would be left alone but I was wrong - anything that has to do with the "Documents" folders was erased. I would suggest that as much as possible of the control files be backed up. Here is a list for me:

Scenarios  - "C:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

CFG files - "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"   (Only some of these files will be needed or used for reference )

Scenery.cfg and more - "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"    (Only some of these files will be needed or used for reference )

I also recommend each user developing a reinstall_apps folder with each application of interest setup.exe or xxx.msi type files plus website URLs - example for me, Anti-virus, DCS, GIMP, Irfanview, Java, Notepad++, OCCT, Oculus, Prepar3d_Aircraft_Scenery, Printer, Steam, Joystick, USB, Video Card, VisualStudio, WinRAR, etc..

Then reinstall Prepar3D (you won't be able to uninstall Prepar3D if you had to reinstall Windows 10 because you couldn't repair it )

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Whenever I reset Windows 10, I backup the Documents, Pictures, and C:\Users\MyUsername\AppData\Roaming folders.  This should be mandatory.  I will also save the folder where my scenery.cfg is located (as you).  I would also make a backup folder named: C Drive Stuff and then go to the C Drive and back up anything FSX/P3D in C:\Program Files (x86) such as 12bPilot, Addon Manager, DXSceneryFixer, Navigraph, PMDG Operations Center, QualityWings, etc.  I have all of my scenery folders located on drives other than the C drive and those drives will not be harmed in any way.  Just C drive. 

If you own any PMDG product, make sure you go into the FMC of each aircraft and deactivate the license.  This will ensure you will be able to reactivate these products after reinstallation.  The same goes with FSDT/FlightBeam stuff.  Read their manuals and make sure you have backed up the registration keys or you may run out of activations and that could be messy.  All other scenery should work properly if linked in the Addon Organizer. 

A Windows reinstall will remove almost everything in the registry so that means you will have to do a lot of reinstalling.  After reinstalling P3DV4, I simply replaced the new Documents and Pictures folders with the ones I backed up.  That should bring back all of your add-on scenery.  You can try to move the folders backed up and move them to C:\Program Files (x86) or C drive as appropriate.  You cannot replace the C:\User Roaming in total.  Move individual files as necessary.

I have done this several times in the past few months and I still ran into problems but mostly trying to get my Outlook and e-mail programs to work properly.  Outlook especially makes it extremely difficult to set up as Microsoft is constantly monitoring your computer to make sure you own their stuff.  If you have a Microsoft Store account like I do, just log into the store and you can download all of your Microsoft stuff.  Again, my problems are mostly associated with non-FS applications. 

In regards to reinstallation of Windows, Microsoft does not make it easy and they have a lot of work to do as their program causes many to have to reinstall Windows.  Even if they tell you during the reset or reinstallation of Windows that FSX or P3D will not have to be reinstalled, they will have to be reinstalled (or at least I had to reinstall them). 

I now set up restore points whenever I have FSX/P3D and my system really running great with no problems whatsoever and name it MyBest.  I would suggest replacing this restore point at least monthly.  It will save a lot of headaches.  Just recently, I decided to use my Microsoft User Account instead of my local account.  When I opened up the Addon Organizer and saved a scenery, it would not allow me to do so.  All of my files had been changed to Read Only and Microsoft would not allow me to remove that restriction.  So I could not add or change anything in the Addon Organizer.  So I went back to the local account and that fixed everything.  There are issues whenever you reinstall Windows 10 but it eventually fixes major problems you might be having with your FSX, P3D or other FS application.

This all might be a good project for one of our talented members - to make a comprehensive guide for uninstalling/reinstalling Windows10.  I would give you credit as the author of the guide much like my AVSIM CTD and FSX Configuration Guides.  The guide would have to be named AVSIM Windows 10 Uninstall/Reinstall Guide for Flight Simulators or something like that.  The guides, once produced, would become the property of AVSIM, Inc.  The guide can be updated as often as you want.  If you are interested, send me a PM and we can discuss.  If we have more than one individual who wants to take on a project like this, I might recommend they work together on the project.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

You list of steps for reinstall are great! I would ask that you copy this to a new topic and then pin it. The only additional comment is that we should make a batch script to make the Documents and etc folders easy and do it after each new major P3D addition maybe. I had to reinstall because I couldn't get Windows 10 to startup at all (repair wouldn't work ). At that point, it is really too late to be backing up since the only way to do that is to get a CMD shell running with installation media, do the copying with DOS-like commands, and then reinstall WIndows 10, and reinstall P3D (what a lot of effort!!). THanks for taking the time to make a great list of what's required!

Dave W.

• Like 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I can crash the system deliberately and I get ESENT errors - all sorts - as a result of inconsistent entries in the DB and they come up before other items in the report.

Since P3D has many processes, some take many second to complete, it's still very possible that the error is a result of P3D crashing.

Edited by SteveW

After a deeper analysis, i was not considerating to monitor the hardware in a better way.
So, P3D CTD with no messages and no event log, after the GPU is hitting 100% for too long time...
Reading a post here in Avsim, i found out that setting my monitor to 30hz and Vsync and TB in game, i can have a smooth constant 30fps and never hitting 100% GPU. In this exact moment i am testing this setup. I will report.

EDIT 1: i still hit 100% GPU in some random cases. Let's see.

Edited by Alberto Zanot

Time-out on GPU transfers could do it. Unlimited with no vsync or frame limit is a mistake other than in testing anyway. With the latest version of P3D not using a limit of some sort can even cause several problems, fluttering of the screen is one example.

Have a look at these install notes:

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Edited by SteveW