Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

OrbX KSBA Santa Barbara and NA Southern California

Hi,

I am considering to get OrbX KSBA Santa Barbara.

The advertisement says: For the best experience, FTX Southern California should be purchased and installed prior to using this airport.

I have FTX Global + LC + Vector but I don't have NA Southern California.

I would like to stress that I plan to do some local flights only within the KSBA Santa Barbara scenery flight zone.

In that conditions, is there an interest to buy NA Southern California?

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

I would buy KSBA first and try it before buying Socal, NA SoCal is pretty heavy on frames, and if you have LC installed it should look fine.

• Like 1

Can anyone Confirm from their own experience that KSBA does work without NA SoCal? I would like to eventually purchase this airport but Orbx notes that SoCal region is required. I too have Global & LC.

Thanks

Thanks Martin.

raymie, I did not see "Required" on their webpage but "For the best experience ". But let's wait for a confirmation.

- TONY -

I have KSBA from ORBX and it works just fine without SoCal region. I find that just having FTX Global and NA Land class is all you need. I found the SoCal region very problematic and full of pauses and it tends to hog memory. My So Cal area works so much better without it. I have all the other ORBX So Cal sceneries and they all work fine without the region as well.

Lee

• Like 2

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

4 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

My So Cal area works so much better without it.

"it" = So Cal Region by OrbX?

- TONY -

4 minutes ago, Simicro said:

"it" = So Cal Region by OrbX?

Yes, specifically SoCal region. I mean it looks good, but it's a dog when it comes to performance.

• Like 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

2 hours ago, raymie said:

Can anyone Confirm from their own experience that KSBA does work without NA SoCal? I would like to eventually purchase this airport but Orbx notes that SoCal region is required. I too have Global & LC.

Thanks

I have no problems that I know of.

Mark

• Like 2

Can anyone Confirm from their own experience that KSBA does work without NA SoCal? I would like to eventually purchase this airport but Orbx notes that SoCal region is required

After checking this in FTX Central 3, I see that ORBx have still not learned that particular lesson :rolleyes:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Simicro said:

Hi,

I am considering to get OrbX KSBA Santa Barbara.

The advertisement says: For the best experience, FTX Southern California should be purchased and installed prior to using this airport.

I have FTX Global + LC + Vector but I don't have NA Southern California.

I would like to stress that I plan to do some local flights only within the KSBA Santa Barbara scenery flight zone.

In that conditions, is there an interest to buy NA Southern California?

Southern Cal comes at 50% off if you buy it with Santa Barbara as I did

Edited by vc10man
  • Like 1

Thanks for your helpful replies--I am hesitant to purchase the SoCal region specifically for the reason of being a performance hog.

14 minutes ago, raymie said:

Thanks for your helpful replies--I am hesitant to purchase the SoCal region specifically for the reason of being a performance hog.

Not yet tried it,so cannot comment on it, but other FTX Regions have worked okay so far.

Purchased Santa Barbara and did a quick local fight. Quality scenery and all looks very nice even without Socal Region.

Santa Barbara is not as big as I imagined by watching the map, but still a quite large zone for local flights.

Well worth the money.

• Like 1

- TONY -

Thanks Simicro for sharing that. I went back to the Orbx Direct website and here is what they say:

Prerequisite Products

You require at least one of the following products to use KSBA Santa Barbara Municipal Airport, and they listed NA SoCal. It's a bit confusing in light of the fact that region is not essential according to your experience and others as well.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience. I am hoping that by Christmas if Orbx has a sale, Santa Barbara will be somewhat discounted.

Edited by raymie
Remove second mention of Prerequisite Products