Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Falcon 50 - Ops ?

Recommended Posts

Hi Folks,

Just playing around with the panel and all it's options... 

The "Xfer Pumps" I didn't see mentioned in the procedures... These - I assume are to move fuel between the tanks... It seems like the "OFF" position is - up - with the light extinguished - the "Cold and Dark" setting via the control panel sets them all to - down - light energized - I think they should probably be set the other way - initially ?

I believe the labeling on the upper panel may be incorrect - instead of "XFR Intercom" - - - it should read "XFR Intercon" ?

A little info on the generators ? Why does the procedure for both APU start and ENGINE start specify the generators are set to on before the start ? My experience (non aviation) always had the power source fully running and stable before loading it up with the generator ?

When I click on the GPU icon - I can't seem to set it to present via the control menu - it just flashes and disappears - what's the prerequisite to enable the GPU ?

What's the "SPR" button for below the engine starter buttons ?

Where's the light switch for the BIG dome lights adjacent to the CB panel ? These are the ones that come on when arming the emergency lights...

What's the Mach Trim switch actually do ?

Should the cockpit light switches work without the battery ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Scott, as we established, I’m not familiar with the 50. On the 900 the gen and battery switches have an interlock and if a switch is off it will not start. The generators are starter generators so the computer determines when they are starters and when they switch over to generating power.

Done light is on the hot bus, but I think it will shut off if all gen switches and battery are shut off. Though I’m not sure if it shuts off with the gen switches or is just on the hot bus and always has power available.

The procedure is all gen and battery switches on apu gen on then it should start.

Edited by AccusedChip
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

  SPR switches (Start Pressure Regulator) switches. These are momentary switches that can be use to add extra fuel to the engines during a cold weather start procedure.  When held down they signal the EEC (Electronic Engine Control computer) to provide the extra starting fuel. Not simulated.

          Xfer Pumps  -- Move fuel between the wing tanks and the feeder tanks.  As I understand it, the wing tanks are pressurized higher then the feeder tanks so fuel will flow to the feeder tanks even with the Xfer pumps off or failed.  The Xfer pumps are on when the lights are off (counterintuitive) . It seems in this a/c lights on often indicate an abnormal condition or warning, e.g., on the annunciator warning panel the AP light is off when the AP is on.  The XFR Intercom label is correct -- short for intercommunication perhaps?

         The Mach trim system prevents aircraft tuck under at speeds above 0.78 Mach. Not simulated.

Al

 

Edited by ark
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for the wealth of info...

Ahh - so those computers control more than the ignition...

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post

As AccusedChip said, unless the GEN switches are "on" the associated starter-generators will not act as starters when the red START buttons are pressed. These switches are also magnetically-latched circuit breakers. If there is an overcurrent situation when the associated generator is acting either as a starter or generator, the switch will trip to the OFF position 

The booster pumps are located in the feeder tanks, which supply fuel directly to the engines, and the transfer pumps move fuel from the left/center/right wing tanks to the feeder tanks. The transfer pumps keep the feeder tanks "topped off". That's why the fuel gauges have a toggle switch. UP shows the quantity in the three wing tanks - DOWN shows the quantity in the three feeder tanks.

If you are doing a long maximum-range flight, the three wing tanks will eventually empty out. leaving only the feeder tank fuel. As each wing tank becomes empty, the associated transfer pump can be switched off, but not before. The three booster pumps are always on when engines are running, and the number 2 booster pump must be on to run the APU on the ground.

The falcon 900 has a simpler fuel system. The three engines are supplied directly from the left/center/right wing tanks, and there are no transfer pumps - only booster pumps.

The mach trim system is active at higher airspeeds at higher altitudes. Apparently not simulated other than the switch and associated light on the master warning panel.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for the wealth of info...

Ahh - so those computers control more than the ignition...

Regards,
Scott

Yes, the computers control the automatic disconnection of the starters, and switch-over to generation, when sufficient N2 speed has been reached during start. They also provide protection against engine overspeed during the start, and afterwards. They will stop the fuel flow from the engine fuel control to the spray nozzles in the engine combustor if the engine starts to accelerate uncontrollably, and will not permit the engine to overspeed, even if the power levers are fully advanced.

A failure of any of the three engine computers is a no-fly discrepancy if it happens on the ground. If one fails in flight, the flight can continue with caution, but all overspeed protections are lost on the engine with the failed computer.

The computer on a Falcon 900 is a more advanced version that regulates engine speed based on N1, instead of N2.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, ark said:

The XFR Intercom label is correct -- short for intercommunication perhaps?

     

 

Probably a bit of French sneaking in. Fuel, hydraulic and bleed are valves typically have mechanical pointers on them to indicate their current position. On an American-made aircraft, they will be marked "O" for "open" or "C" for "closed".

On Dassault aircraft they are marked "O" for "ouvrir" and "F" for "fermé"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Jim,

Thnaks as well - I’m getting a better understanding g of how this fine bird works - should I schedule my class at Flight Safety yet - lol ? 

Appreciate the details...

Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

Disregard...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/2/2018 at 6:56 AM, scottb613 said:

The "Xfer Pumps" I didn't see mentioned in the procedures... These - I assume are to move fuel between the tanks... It seems like the "OFF" position is - up - with the light extinguished - the "Cold and Dark" setting via the control panel sets them all to - down - light energized - I think they should probably be set the other way - initially ?

I believe the labeling on the upper panel may be incorrect - instead of "XFR Intercom" - - - it should read "XFR Intercon" ?

A little info on the generators ? Why does the procedure for both APU start and ENGINE start specify the generators are set to on before the start ? My experience (non aviation) always had the power source fully running and stable before loading it up with the generator ?

When I click on the GPU icon - I can't seem to set it to present via the control menu - it just flashes and disappears - what's the prerequisite to enable the GPU ?

What's the "SPR" button for below the engine starter buttons ?

Where's the light switch for the BIG dome lights adjacent to the CB panel ? These are the ones that come on when arming the emergency lights...

What's the Mach Trim switch actually do ?

Should the cockpit light switches work without the battery ?

 

The shows the pump is off.

its intercom.

Yes this bird the generators are on before start.

Generators off and EXT POWER on for the GPU.

SPR is for extra fuel for cold weather.

Black dome switch on the overhead panel.

Mach does nothing due to limitations.

The main panel lights always have bee hot battery bus for flight sim.

=====================================================

Some of this info is now in our updated manual and more to come.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this