mustiej

dll.xml is corrupt and cannot be opened.

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

 

My dll.xml is corrupted because of an addon scenery I tried to tweak and now I can't even open the file and look for the problem.

What is the concenquences of deleting this file? Reinstall my addons, if so, which ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It will get rebuilt. As to which you might need to reinstall - no way for us to know. 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

It will get rebuilt. As to which you might need to reinstall - no way for us to know. 

Vic

So reinstall addons must be happening then? Also, we are only talking about the dll.xml in appdata right? Perhaps there is a list of addons that use the xml, so maybe I might only reinstall those instead of everything? addons like orbx takes ages, dont want to reinstall that if thats not needed... 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, mustiej said:

So reinstall addons must be happening then? Also, we are only talking about the dll.xml in appdata right? Perhaps there is a list of addons that use the xml, so maybe I might only reinstall those instead of everything? addons like orbx takes ages, dont want to reinstall that if thats not needed... 

No need to reinstall orbx. Probably very little would need it. 

FSUIPC, ASP4, REx Weather radar and some aircraft. Just let it rebuild and run p3d. Some of the addons will auto correct and put the entries in already.

Have you tried renaming your dll.xml to dll.txt and see if you can open it in notepad? If you can - post the contents here.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

No need to reinstall orbx. Probably very little would need it. 

FSUIPC, ASP4, REx Weather radar and some aircraft. Just let it rebuild and run p3d. Some of the addons will auto correct and put the entries in already.

Have you tried renaming your dll.xml to dll.txt and see if you can open it in notepad? If you can - post the contents here.

Vic

I tried doing that and the only way it opens and correctly shows it's content is with notepad++ and it only shows 4 entries before everything goes random characters...

Quick question: everyone seems to have fsuipc either free version or the 30/40 bucks version just for communication between addons? What does that even mean?

Share this post


Link to post

Certain addons use FSUIPC to send data back and forth to p3d. Some use FSUIPC to control all their controllers, yoke, rudders etc. If it is required for a specific addon, they will tell you.

your best bet is to just delete the old xml file and let P3D rebuild it. It's either that or don't run P3D any more because you have to have the dll.xml file. There is NO easy way around the problem unless you had a backup of the dll.xml file.

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, vgbaron said:

Certain addons use FSUIPC to send data back and forth to p3d. Some use FSUIPC to control all their controllers, yoke, rudders etc. If it is required for a specific addon, they will tell you.

your best bet is to just delete the old xml file and let P3D rebuild it. It's either that or don't run P3D any more because you have to have the dll.xml file. There is NO easy way around the problem unless you had a backup of the dll.xml file.

 

Vic

Okay, I geuss I will reinstall the addons in the weekend then. Do you perhaps know if any of the FlyTampa, DDesign, FSdreamteam or Aerosoft scenery or third party scenery in general addons require reinstalling? I have a couple of them along with 2 PMDG aircraft(I will reinstall these), GSX(reinstall needed?) and 3 products of night environment...

Share this post


Link to post

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling all those addons - RUN P3D and see what happens. Most of what you listed may not need anything done at all. Don't give yourself more work than necessary.

once you get it right, make a backup of the dll.xml file.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling all those addons - RUN P3D and see what happens. Most of what you listed may not need anything done at all. Don't give yourself more work than necessary.

once you get it right, make a backup of the dll.xml file.

Vic

I can run p3d just fine except the addon scenery that caused the corrupted dll.xml doesn't load very well, missing buildings etc and the pmdg aircraft doesn't function. Before, the game wouldn't even launch because of the corrupted addon file. I fixed that by reinstalling the addon but by tweaking it, I messed up the xml file somehow, so even if the game starts and runs fine, the file can't be opened and edited meaning the addon scenery still doesn't function. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, jmdriskell said:

Try Notepad ++.  It should open the file.

It does but 90% of the content is random characters. The file is damaged.

Share this post


Link to post

Most the time the last addon you installed will make a backup of the dll file. Do you have one of those. BTW, I keep a spare tor just, I say just such an occasion.

Edited by Adrian123

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Most the time the last addon you installed will make a backup of the dll file. Do you have one of those. BTW, I keep a spare tor just, I say just such an occasion.

In the same location I find scenery backups but nothing else that suggest a backup. Maybe another location?

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, mustiej said:

It does but 90% of the content is random characters. The file is damaged. 

That could just be the file encoding gone wrong, caused by an incompatible installer that was unaware of proper character encoding. Try to change the encoding in Notepad++ (menu "Encoding" at the top) to UTF-8 or UTF-8 BOM, and if that fails, try UCS-2 LE BOM.

Best regards

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I have used this with luck also:

https://www.freeformatter.com/xml-formatter.html

 

5 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

That could just be the file encoding gone wrong, caused by an incompatible installer that was unaware of proper character encoding. Try to change the encoding in Notepad++ (menu "Encoding" at the top) to UTF-8 or UTF-8 BOM, and if that fails, try UCS-2 LE BOM.

Best regards

I've tried to change the encoding, didn't work. 

I tried to upload the file and format it but I get the following error: 

Error on line 1: Content is not allowed in prolog.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, mustiej said:

I've tried to change the encoding, didn't work. 

Then it probably has a mixed encoding. If that really was a program/installer that thought it was dealing with a different encoding, file could indeed be worthless now. Btw, default encoding of that file is Windows codepage 1252 / ANSI. So you cannot edit it with a program that would add UTF-8 / Unicode encoded characters. The number of bytes to save one character is different, and if you mix them up, a simple editor can no longer read it. A hex editor might make sense of it.

But there aren't that many addons which are still using the dll.xml, it is no longer necessary in P3D V4. FSUIPC, Carenado aircraft, ActiveSky are the usual suspects. FSUIPC and ActiveSky you can just reinstall, and one Carenado aircraft. Not sure about PMDG, their modules have been in there with FSX. Over time, if you encounter an addon that seems to be missing something, reinstall it. ORBX is of no concern, they are using an add-on.xml for their ObjectFlow module.

If you are trying out legacy addons that were not made for P3D V4, consider using a backup tool that keeps your configuration files safe.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

This was fixed by me by opening the Lorby_Si Addon Organizer and going to Tools and click on Check Encoding.  Once completed, click on "Save" under Scenery Tab and it should be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

That didn't work either. I deleted the exe.xml and dll.xml and to my suprise, somehow all my addons works. Even Sky Force... I made a backup just in case.

I geuss it's resolved 🙂 Thanks for the suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now